Who would you rate as the weakest runners up of the last 20 years?

Which runners up do you rate as the weakest?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne 2000 by a mile.

They were the best of a crap bunch that year. Players such as Ingerson, Collins, Walsh, Febey, Powell, Rigoni, Leoncelli, Grgic, Beams..etc should never have made it that deep into September. Awful.

Melbourne 2000 by a mile.

They were the best of a crap bunch that year. Players such as Ingerson, Collins, Walsh, Febey, Powell, Rigoni, Leoncelli, Grgic, Beams..etc should never have made it that deep into September. Awful.

That's how good Jeff Farmer was in 2000.

Carlton in 1999. The AFL changed the entire final series to ensure that it didn't happen again.
lol, i think there were more reasons for them changing it than just Carlton making the GF in 1999, in fact I would go so far as to say the AFL knew they would change the finals format in the year 2000 before the 1999 finals even began.

Surprised Collingwood last year doesn't get more of a mention. Arsed top 4 thanks to a dream draw, lucky to get over GWS at home in week 2 and played the game of their lives against Richmond in the prelim. Still, i'll reserve some judgement until I see them play in the next couple of years.

Port 07 was clearly the worst performance on the day, but they were a better team throughout the year than that.
Weren't lucky at all. Pies dominated the first half and the game should have been over.

WCE were pushed to the limit in the qualifying final in Perth also. A couple of late goals, but the Pies were trailing by under a kick with minutes to go.

Game of their lives? Yep, well deserved win.

As mentioned, Port 07 is revisionist history.

If you just take the GF result, we were atrocious
If you take the year, we were clear second best team in the comp.
Beating a Judd on one leg playing at Full Forward and Cousins going off also by under a goal isn't clearly being the 2nd best side. If even one of those guys didn't get injured you lose by 4 goals.

If Judd was fully fit you would have got your ass handed to you.

Port 2007.

They got a shitty North Melbourne at footy park in the prelim.

The Grand Final was the other prelim....... Geelong v Collingwood.

And port won the flag 3 years before they got smashed in 07? Does that mean Port 07 shouldn’t be in this conversation?

How can a team be the worst GF finalist in 20 years and 3 years later win the flag? Either they werent that bad and just had an off day or they had a metoric rise in skill in 3 years. So which is it?

How can a team be the worst GF finalist in 20 years and 3 years later win the flag? Either they werent that bad and just had an off day or they had a metoric rise in skill in 3 years. So which is it?

Because it’s worst grand finalist. FINALIST. Singular - not plural. It’s looking at each losing grand finalist in isolation

I went to 2017 grand final. Those Crows were pretty damn ordinary. Same with my 99 Blues and Port 2007 lot.
But with final 8 systems it is not designed to guarantee two best teams meet in last game of year so always going to get a few ordinary ones from time to time when finals systems has sides of a draw similar to tennis tournaments. Did value it more when I knew beyond doubt the two teams in grand final had done enough to earn shot at the premiership. You could not skip teams to get there via final 4 and final 5 systems. You can now plus some clubs getting massive homeground finals that many clubs will not get is just another compromise that did not hamper things when it was more pure finals system. We are not going back to 4 or 5 in finals with 18 clubs so just have to put up with imperfect system.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blues were horrendous in 1999.

12-10 record finishing in 6th place.

3 wins against top 8 sides, 2 against the Doggies, one away in Perth. Lost to 10th placed St.Kilda and 11th placed Cats on two occasions. Belted by 13 goals in week 1 of the finals. Lucky they didn't travel to Perth the next week although they did knock off West Coast there coming from 5 goals down so who knows. I'm glad they stayed in the hunt because they produced one of the biggest upsets in Football history upstaging the mighty Bombers in that Prelim. A real cinderella story and so unlikely.

Holy * they got lucky though.

212 votes (at time of writing) and only 95 went Port... that is 117 delusional people (2 off that number hey guys)

2007 was a weak season, and Geelong were miles ahead of the competition and unfortunately it was shown on GF day. Port are by far the weakest runners up of the last 20years, and how they performed in the seasons after 2007 are proof of that.

I hate it, boy do I hate it, but s**t happens.

Carlton 99

Port 07 and Collingwood 18 also fairly weak compared to the others.

Sydney 16 although fairly strong lost to the weakest premiers so maybe they have a claim as well.

Last edited:
Beating a Judd on one leg playing at Full Forward and Cousins going off also by under a goal isn't clearly being the 2nd best side. If even one of those guys didn't get injured you lose by 4 goals.

If Judd was fully fit you would have got your ass handed to you.
Based on what? Won by less than a goal vs a team without their starting midfield
You’re still looking at a game where the Eagles are playing without their starting midfield. No Cousins, no Kerr, Judd playing forward with OP, no Stenglein, no Fletcher. The QF was closer to our strongest side while still being undermanned. I think we were on a level pegging with Port that year, although clearly unravelling by the end.

10 premiership players in the 2007 Port team. Zero in the 2015 West Coast team at the time.
At least 2 in Butler and Wellingham, and Ellis played 08 I’m pretty sure?

Im tipping most of the votes for Collingwood 2018 would come from Richmond supporters. Its still very sensitive!

If we’re the weakest premier ever in 2018 according to Tigers supporters, how s**t were Richmond last year? Absolutely pantsed them in the prelim.

Got within a goal and had a lead most of the game, real terrible opposition.

Back