Who would you take? Dusty or Juddy?

225 games in, who would you take in your team?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oct 2, 2008
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Brothers of Destruction
20200421_095233.jpg

Interesting topic on the footy show. Thought maybe we could have some discussion here on it. Who you picking and why?

Im picking Dusty cause I'm biased as hell. But here's a Judd story, he was old and injured and some say he wouldn't play, that he did...

The 2013 Elimination Final was a mish mash of missed opportunities and lack of composure from our players, until Chris Judd, like the carnivore that he is, must of sensed the nerves, and he pounded our team into the dirt in that second half. He was ******* incredible. So yeah, much respect to the champ.

My best memory of Dusty? The 2017 Qualifying Final against Geelong.
- Hadn't beaten them since 2006
- Hadn't beaten Geelong at the G since 1999.
- Hadn't won a final since 2001.

And Dusty Martin broke the game apart. Every touch in that second half was a score or scoring opportunity. Towards the end of the third quarter, scores were 40-33 and Hawkins had just kicked a goal to keep them in touch.

Astbury has the ball in defence, hunted down by a few cats, he hurriedly kicks to the wing, where Stewart and Dusty have a 50/50 contest for the ball, Dusty reads the bounce of the ball, tucks it under one arm, brushes Stewart off with the other arm, blazes down the wing, kicks it to Riewoldt who wins his one on one, ball spirals into the goal square to an unmanned Prestia who kicks the easiest of goals.

Dusty gave goals to Edwards, Grigg at pivotal moments when we needed them most. He lifted us that day.

At their absolute peak Judd, he's the best player I have ever seen

That peak was only really 2 years at the Eagles though, Dusty has been at a high level for much longer now

In full flight, Judd was a once in a generation player.

Unfortunately he never fully recovered from groin problems suffered in 2007 (Eagles were pushing for a 2nd flag and kept playing him when he needed time out), so the second half of his career wasn't quite as breathtaking as the first half. Still won a 2nd Brownlow, which shows he was more than just dash, he was the complete midfielder.

For me Judd and Ablett are a level above any other midfielders I’ve seen. Seeing Judd live and the attention he demanded from the opposition was like nothing I have ever seen before.

Judd comfortably. 2nd best mid of the 00s onwards
Personally, I think Dusty has Ablett covered.

Yet I have trouble rating Martin as high as Judd.

Yet I rate Ablett higher than Judd.

Makes no sense. But I've seen Martin manhandle Ablett, brush him off like a fly.

In full flight, Judd was a once in a generation player.

Unfortunately he never fully recovered from groin problems suffered in 2007 (Eagles were pushing for a 2nd flag and kept playing him when he needed time out), so the second half of his career wasn't quite as breathtaking as the first half. Still won a 2nd Brownlow, which shows he was more than just dash, he was the complete midfielder.
In many ways his performances at Carlton were more impressive in the sense that he didn't have the physical explosiveness he once did yet still remained in the upper echelons of players in the competition deep into his career. Only really great players can completely change the way they play the game and stay amongst the games best.

Last edited:
Judd for sure but geez dusty is as good as they come

Judd had attributes that made him a once in a generation type player and unique, where dusty is in the same league as riccuitto, voss, buckley

Give Port one of them or both and I'd be over the moon

Probably Judd, but I think Dusty will have a better career from games 226 to 279 :think:

Judd stats games 226 to 279
Games: 54
Brownlow votes: 19 in 10 games
Kicks: av 11.5
Handballs: av 8.1
Disposals: 19.6
Marks: 5.1
Goals: 30

Makes no sense. But I've seen Martin manhandle Ablett, brush him off like a fly.
Nope

Everyone is entitled to be wrong, Ablett is unquestionably the best of his generation, and has been in the discussion as being better than his father. An AFL team of the century member.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd go Ablett Jnr, Judd then Dusty

but the stars don't burn as bright in the twilight years, which often tarnishes how we remember them. Ablett also did himself a disservice career wise going to the Suns. Who'd blame him though with a father who retired broke.

I think it does highlight how difficult is is to compare players as they all have their own unique attributes

Having had time to re-watch old WC games it seriously has to be Judd.

His 2004-2007 ( mid way till injured 2007) was elite to watch week in and out. His bursting from packs would leave players gobsmacked was awesome to watch. It is a shame inuries killed that aspect of his game when he went to Carlton. BUT he did reinvent himself a bit at Carlton and played less as that burst player and more of an in and under inside mid that kept going and going.

Personally I think Dusty has a way to go to be compared to GAJ. Ablett was at his best for a decade and did it week in, week out. The awards back this up, although he should have 4 Brownlows (2007, 2008, 2009, and 2013).

Ablett >>> Dusty >>> Judd

Ablett and Judd were a tier above Buckley, Voss, Hird, Swan, Dangerfield and Martin.

Disposal numbers are irrelevant to Judd, He won his first Brownlow in his 3rd season averaging only 21 disposals. But he was by far the best player in the league, that West Coast era he was the most explosive damaging player of all time.

Its not even a conversation. Judd is the 2nd best mid of the 2000s behind GAJ and Dusty isnt a top 10 mid of the 2000s. Judd was a top mid in the comp for a decade, Dusty kind of broke out in 2016 when he started winning awards but before that he was simply a very good player, nothing more.

Back