Strategy Who would you take with pick 1?

Who would you select with pick 1?

• Total voters
Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I have never seen such an open draft less than 3 weeks out from the actual draft. Usually we have narrowed down who will go pick 1 by now to at most 2 players, but right now I have seen Adelaide linked to 3 players potentially going number 1, in Thilthorpe, Hollands and McDonald, and even guys like Twomey seem to have no real idea who Adelaide plan on taking.

So for this poll the simple question is of the big 5 which player would you take at number 1? Now I am not including Jamarra Ugle-Hogan or Braeden Campbell in this poll, as while JUH is widely tipped to be the best player in the draft he is not available to most clubs as the Bulldogs are going to match the bid on him no matter what.

There is also talk about the fab 5, so Hollands, McDonald, Phillips, Thilthorpe and DGB who are considered a step ahead of the next group of players in the draft, all 5 of whom have been talked about at some point of being worthy number 1 picks, though all very different players.

So, who do you think is the best player in the live draft?

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I have never seen such an open draft less than 3 weeks out from the actual draft. Usually we have narrowed down who will go pick 1 by now to at most 2 players, but right now I have seen Adelaide linked to 3 players potentially going number 1, in Thilthorpe, Hollands and McDonald, and even guys like Twomey seem to have no real idea who Adelaide plan on taking.

So for this poll the simple question is of the big 5 which player would you take at number 1? Now I am not including Jamarra Ugle-Hogan or Braeden Campbell in this poll, as while JUH is widely tipped to be the best player in the draft he is not available to most clubs as the Bulldogs are going to match the bid on him no matter what.

There is also talk about the fab 5, so Hollands, McDonald, Phillips, Thilthorpe and DGB who are considered a step ahead of the next group of players in the draft, all 5 of whom have been talked about at some point of being worthy number 1 picks, though all very different players.

So, who do you think is the best player in the live draft?
Might be of interest. A quick interview a few days ago with Ben Williams from Players Ink who manages Thilthorpe and McDonald

longdonkey

Premiership Player
Jul 27, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd pick McDonald before Ugle-Hagen. Might regret it 3 years later though.
You know McDonald could end up being Chris Groom and Ugle-Hagen could end up being Buddy.
But McDonald could end up being Carey and Ugle-Hagen Tambling

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Bidding on JUH at 1 really is Crows fans highlight for 2020.
The potential of Adelaide to bid on JUH at pick 1 isn't a highlight, however it is amusing watching some Bulldogs fans repetitively posting reasons why they won't or shouldn't .. often with thin and shallow arguments and multiple paragraphs

If I get a cheeky smile out of watching a few Bulldogs customers squirming, and find it amusing .. I'm not sure that translates into a highlight

Highlights might be different in a kennel I guess

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The potential of Adelaide to bid on JUH at pick 1 isn't a highlight, however it is amusing watching some Bulldogs fans repetitively posting reasons why they won't or shouldn't .. often with thin and shallow arguments and multiple paragraphs

If I get a cheeky smile out of watching a few Bulldogs customers squirming, and find it amusing .. I'm not sure that translates into a highlight

Highlights might be different in a kennel I guess
We know we’ve lucked out and are embracing the possibility of having the number 1 pick and the attention it brings.
There’s only 2 reasons to not bid. One he’s not first on your draft board, two you don’t buy into the story/hope/positivity/spin a number 1 pick sells to fans and the broader industry/media.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
We know we’ve lucked out and are embracing the possibility of having the number 1 pick and the attention it brings.
There’s only 2 reasons to not bid. One he’s not first on your draft board, two you don’t buy into the story/hope/positivity/spin a number 1 pick sells to fans and the broader industry/media.

Or 3, they don't want to put extra pressure on whomever they do want with their first pick by having him selected at pick 1. It is a lot of extra media attention and some kids can't handle it.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Or 3, they don't want to put extra pressure on whomever they do want with their first pick by having him selected at pick 1. It is a lot of extra media attention and some kids can't handle it.
I’ve read this theory and struggle to subscribe to it. These kids have been building to this point for the last few years, I really doubt any of them don’t want to go number 1. Where they stand amongst their peers is very important to them. They’ll get over it but these kids are confident and ambitious at the top end. If a club thinks they can’t handle being number 1 I’d be questioning taking them high at all.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Funnily enough, Adelaide fans aren't the posters here constantly posting .. but hey

Adelaide don't have a problem filling memberships .. no one here GAF

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Triggering posters just like you .. :$ :$ :$ :D
How am I triggered? I’m discussing the merits of who gets taken at pick 1 in a thread titled “Who would you take with pick 1?”
It’s a situation not seen before with an NGA clearly in the conversation and the psychology of bidding or not is an interesting point.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
How am I triggered? I’m discussing the merits of who gets taken at pick 1 in a thread titled “Who would you take with pick 1?”
It’s a situation not seen before with an NGA clearly in the conversation and the psychology of bidding or not is an interesting point.
Maybe that's a conversation best had with fellow Bulldog customers?

Back