Strategy Who would you take with pick 1?

Who would you select with pick 1?

• Total voters
Oct 6, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
go ahead and diss on me, but I reckon McDonald will be a bust. Josh Jenkins mark II.

Hollands is a risk with his knee but has ridiculous coordination. Darren Jarman type coordination.

tilthorpe is Kreuzer reincarnated.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
I'd pick McDonald before Ugle-Hagen. Might regret it 3 years later though.
You know McDonald could end up being Chris Groom and Ugle-Hagen could end up being Buddy.
But McDonald could end up being Carey and Ugle-Hagen Tambling
That's every draft. Plenty of players rated highly as juniors have not reached expectations, not to mention this year where the key junior development year for the draft has been so disrupted.

There's some players rated now that are going to be over or underrated because the recruiters missed a lot of valuable data.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Good god, you’re such a Salty loser.
Yes I’m very salty about having been gifted JUH and now the trash picks to match on him.
Neither club loses. You have pick 1 and get the player you want and we have the points to match on JUH.
Personally I think it’s interesting on whether your club thinks there’s anything in the “feel good story” of calling out pick 1. The local prospect on Thilthorpe, or the talented childhood fan in Hollands. It has to be a consideration, even if minor. Sorry you don’t feel it’s interesting enough to warrant discussing.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Yes I’m very salty about having been gifted JUH and now the trash picks to match on him.
Neither club loses. You have pick 1 and get the player you want and we have the points to match on JUH.
Personally I think it’s interesting on whether your club thinks there’s anything in the “feel good story” of calling out pick 1. The local prospect on Thilthorpe, or the talented childhood fan in Hollands. It has to be a consideration, even if minor. Sorry you don’t feel it’s interesting enough to warrant discussing.
Dont be sorry be sea salt .

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
I have never seen such an open draft less than 3 weeks out from the actual draft. Usually we have narrowed down who will go pick 1 by now to at most 2 players, but right now I have seen Adelaide linked to 3 players potentially going number 1, in Thilthorpe, Hollands and McDonald, and even guys like Twomey seem to have no real idea who Adelaide plan on taking.

So for this poll the simple question is of the big 5 which player would you take at number 1? Now I am not including Jamarra Ugle-Hogan or Braeden Campbell in this poll, as while JUH is widely tipped to be the best player in the draft he is not available to most clubs as the Bulldogs are going to match the bid on him no matter what.

There is also talk about the fab 5, so Hollands, McDonald, Phillips, Thilthorpe and DGB who are considered a step ahead of the next group of players in the draft, all 5 of whom have been talked about at some point of being worthy number 1 picks, though all very different players.

So, who do you think is the best player in the live draft?
2017 draft was similar that the top 6 could have gone in multiple orders.

Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
go ahead and diss on me, but I reckon McDonald will be a bust. Josh Jenkins mark II.

Hollands is a risk with his knee but has ridiculous coordination. Darren Jarman type coordination.

Talls and players who has knee histories are very risking.

I wouldn't bet either way with this draft.

Phillips is the safest pick.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Or 3, they don't want to put extra pressure on whomever they do want with their first pick by having him selected at pick 1. It is a lot of extra media attention and some kids can't handle it.

Yes of course, the Crows have shown over the past few years they really care for the welfare of their players past and present. More likely Adelaide being Adelaide is that they just want to be pricks to Bulldogs at the expense of their own draftee.

Jan 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

Poor Kreuzer, he had his whole life ahead of him. Taken way too young :(

nurries

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2003
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo

Talls take a while to develop normally. McDonald just about won the leading goal kicking award in the WAFL seniors @ 18!! Kid is a jet and going to get a heap better when he fills out. Everyone creams themselves over Kings and rightly so but this kid is better at the same age.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
Talls take a while to develop normally. McDonald just about won the leading goal kicking award in the WAFL seniors @ 18!! Kid is a jet and going to get a heap better when he fills out. Everyone creams themselves over Kings and rightly so but this kid is better at the same age.
Injuries at different age could stop the momentum, look at Hogan .

Talls and players who has knee histories are very risking.

I wouldn't bet either way with this draft.

Phillips is the safest pick.

Like that Joel Selwood bust.

Expecting North Melbourne to bid on JUH with pick 2. Adelaide won't want the 'pick 1' to be at another team, for a number of reasons.

Bid then draft Hollands presuming Adelaide haven't taken him.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
I dont know why Dogs fans get up in arms about a club selecting JUH at pick 1. Your club has been 100% committed to him. Hes even driving around in a flash new Jeep that the club got him.

Footscray have planned for him for to go at pick 1 since the start of the season. Its a non issue. He gets to Barkly Street come hell or high water.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I dont know why Dogs fans get up in arms about a club selecting JUH at pick 1. Your club has been 100% committed to him. Hes even driving around in a flash new Jeep that the club got him.

Footscray have planned for him for to go at pick 1 since the start of the season. Its a non issue. He gets to Barkly Street come hell or high water.

Don't think most of us are up in arms. We think him going at pick 1 would be great. What puts us most up in arms is whether Adelaide has the balls to do it. Recent indications seems that Adelaide don't have the balls.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
2017 draft was similar that the top 6 could have gone in multiple orders.
2016 as well
McGrath, Clug & Setterfield all a chance @ 1.

I'd take McDonald @ 1 if i were Essendon
But we need KP depth. If we were sure Wright would become the next Hawkins and play into his 30s as a strong target, then Hollands.

HavUEvaSeenTheRain

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 20, 2006
AFL Club
Carlton
Injuries at different age could stop the momentum, look at Hogan .
Max King was coming off an ACL too

Back