Strategy Who would you take with pick 1?

Who would you select with pick 1?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
I think there is actually a fair case to make for Adelaide not bidding on JUH at 1. There are so many connotations and pressures that come with being the first pick, far more so than any other selection.

For Adelaide's sake, I think I would be calling out one of the other boys and leaving a bid for Jamarra to others. I think being the first "number 1" to be actually the club's second choice and it being a matter of public record, would apply too much pressure and negativity to the kid. You're not getting JUH anyway, just back your selection in and let them have a free crack at it rather than always being compared to JUH who everyone would know you preferred. There is already enough on the shoulders of the number 1 pick IMO.

WeedsMullet84

Cancelled
Oct 31, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Celtic, Glenelg
Yes of course, the Crows have shown over the past few years they really care for the welfare of their players past and present. More likely Adelaide being Adelaide is that they just want to be pricks to Bulldogs at the expense of their own draftee.

Calm down now, this is just a thread about who might go pick 1.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
Looking at adelaids needs and next years a massive Midfield draft, McDonald.
they wont bid on JUH. they need as much good press as they can get. they cant afford to have the bid matched and get the number two pick. they will want to parade number 1 around and build hope.

North defs should tho

Another key forward would be nice, but I don't think it's an absolute necessity.

We have Larkey and the club rates Charlie Comben very highly. He was injured for most of the year, but gave Tarrant and Walker more than a few touch ups in the warm up games last year as a string bean.

The list managers have also stated they want to transition the forward line to one that is more dynamic and mobile, i.e a mid sized forward line.

Which plays to our strengths with Thomas, Zurhaar, Taylor, Stephenson etc.

We really just need the best available player, regardless of position.

I think McDonald has just as much bust potential as Thilthorpe personally. I also think Thilthorpe has just as high a ceiling as McDonald.

The Kreuzer comparisons are laughable. Whilst Kreuzer was a very good TAC Cup player, Morrish medalist etc. You watch Thilthorpe for a few minutes and realise he is on a whole different level when it comes to co-ordination, agility, cleanness around the footy etc. He is the very definition of another midfielder when he plays in the ruck and has the low center of gravity and build of a traditional power forward. Kreuzer was good in that regard, but nowhere near this good. He still moved like a ruckman and was very robotic and rigid.

Not to mention, along with Callow, he is the strongest contested mark in the draft.

I think Thilthorpe has a higher ceiling than Luke Jackson as an example.

I've previously compared Thilthorpe to 96-99 Corey McKernan, i.e capable of winning games of football from the ruck, then swinging forward and breaking games open at FF. McKernan was in the top 5 players in the league in that period.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Looking at adelaids needs and next years a massive Midfield draft, McDonald.
they wont bid on JUH. they need as much good press as they can get. they cant afford to have the bid matched and get the number two pick. they will want to parade number 1 around and build hope.

North defs should tho

Bulldogs are 100% committed to JUH. Even if the bid comes in at pick 1.

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I can't see a reason not to force the dogs into burning as many points on matching a bid at P1. JUN is a legitimate option at that pick, and the dogs are just 1 of 17 rival sides.

All's fair in love and war.
In past years this would be a problem but with changes to the draft this year it's pretty impossible to do so. It just wouldn't affect dogs who already are prepared to bid at pick 1 and still can get back into the draft.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
In past years this would be a problem but with changes to the draft this year it's pretty impossible to do so. It just wouldn't affect dogs who already are prepared to bid at pick 1 and still can get back into the draft.
I don't understand your reply. You seem a little triggered by this topic.

I get dogs can match a bid at either pick, but there is a pick penalty to pay if he goes P1 vs. P2. Rival clubs in there own best interest should maximise there returns.

The Rocks

Senior List
Nov 17, 2020
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Riley Thilthorpe will be first. McDonald played senior footy and kicked goals but so did Thilthorpe, only injuries which is a problem stopped his output. Thilthorpe didn't play the last few months and I'm wondering did Adelaide say to him and Westies, don't play him, we're taking him?

On RMX1941 using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I don't understand your reply. You seem a little triggered by this topic.

I get dogs can match a bid at either pick, but there is a pick penalty to pay if he goes P1 vs. P2. Rival clubs in there own best interest should maximise there returns.
Just saying that dogs have set themselves up to bid at 1 with no penalty thanks to recent draft changes to take as many picks a s teams like.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne
Just saying that dogs have set themselves up to bid at 1 with no penalty thanks to recent draft changes to take as many picks a s teams like.
There is a penalty though. You'll loose an additional couple of 100 draft points that will push your picks back.

There is a penalty though. You'll loose an additional couple of 100 draft points that will push your picks back.

Very minor penalty, you'll see all teams with Academy and FS do this whether it be on draft night or thorough the pick trade period

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'd pick McDonald before Ugle-Hagen. Might regret it 3 years later though.
You know McDonald could end up being Chris Groom and Ugle-Hagen could end up being Buddy.
But McDonald could end up being Carey and Ugle-Hagen Tambling
If you really like McDonald, as we all do then JUH is another level up on him. His judgment of the ball in flight and the ability to then mark it from any angle is far superior to McDonald

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
Logan McDonald or Will Phillips for me. I see a 250 game inside midfielder in will and Logan seems an incredibly impressive prospect, absolutely dominating the WAFL. At Collingwood, personally McDonald. I'd have JUH in 3rd behind them.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Logan McDonald or Will Phillips for me. I see a 250 game inside midfielder in will and Logan seems an incredibly impressive prospect, absolutely dominating the WAFL. At Collingwood, personally McDonald. I'd have JUH in 3rd behind them.

He didn't dominate the WAFL. Performed solidly, yes.

Scratchy05

All Australian
Sep 16, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
He didn't dominate the WAFL. Performed solidly, yes.
2.3 Goals Per Game, 11.2 disposals and 4.0 marks. He was a vvery very good player as an 18 year old in a state league. Very similar stats to JUH last year who plays in a worse competition. Difference between playing against boys and men. Clear best Key Position Prospect in my eyes, even if JUH has better tools. Look at Riccardi for an example who was a 19yo dominating the VFL and everyone overlooked him. Look at how well he started for GWS.

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
2.3 Goals Per Game, 11.2 disposals and 4.0 marks. He was a vvery very good player as an 18 year old in a state league. Very similar stats to JUH last year who plays in a worse competition. Difference between playing against boys and men. Clear best Key Position Prospect in my eyes, even if JUH has better tools. Look at Riccardi for an example who was a 19yo dominating the VFL and everyone overlooked him. Look at how well he started for GWS.

Yeah, very good. Didn't dominate though.

Jul 6, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
My 2 bobs worth, I would be open to an offer from GC for pick 1 if they were prepared to put up pick 5 and their 2021 1st and maybe we give them back a later 2021 pick as I think Thilthorpe may slide to the GC pick and the crows would be happy to take him and it would help with extra picks next year. I only say this as talk is GC may be interested in trading up and it might be they are keen on McDonald as a key forward to pair with King or allow King to go back to Defense.

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Don't have a lotta company on the poll, but I really rate Will Phillips.

Also think Sydney's academy kid Campbell is a ripper.
Agree. I wouldn't be upset if the Crows went JUH, Campbell, Hollands. I think Campbell could be just as good as Hollands (maybe a few less tricks), and if the Swans decided NOT to match, I'd be very happy with him as our first selection.

Back