Strategy Who would you take with pick 1?

Who would you select with pick 1?

• Total voters
Petracca was pick 2 behind McCartin at pick 1 and Heeney was pick 18 and the reason the system was changed.

Heeney was bid at pick 2 and once it was matched, Petracca was selected on that spot. Didn't break Petracca's heart that he was "second choice" behind Heeney, which is what I'm referring to in my reply.

One of the dumb ideas getting peddled away here is if Adelaide bids on Jamarra, whoever gets picked after that bid match will feel like second choice. It is just a weak, lazy notion to say being rated the pick 2 in an open draft is a terrible outcome.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Heeney was bid at pick 2 and once it was matched, Petracca was selected on that spot. Didn't break Petracca's heart that he was "second choice" behind Heeney, which is what I'm referring to in my reply.

One of the dumb ideas getting peddled away here is if Adelaide bids on Jamarra, whoever gets picked after that bid match will feel like second choice. It is just a weak, lazy notion to say being rated the pick 2 in an open draft is a terrible outcome.
Fair enough, i was coming from the angle that the Heeney situation was the catalyst for change. There is the cash bonus for the first three picks to consider as well as the prestige of being number one, but that has been an anchor around the neck for some players. The players have no control over when a bid will come in and i doubt it matters to them, last year Richmond secured more Brisbane academy players than Brisbane which i found odd, but most teams with academies only take a small percentage of their players similarly the drafts only take a small percentage of players and it is used like a financial auto correct.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Does pick 1 still get a 10k cash bonus?

Does that come into it at all for the Crows wanting to keep their new draftee happy?

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes although not sure on the amount. I think it’s more the label of going number 1 amongst their peers that drives them at the top end. They’ll get over it very quickly though.

Last edited:

Ash1337

Club Legend
Apr 11, 2009
Albany
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
With Dogs now able to cover pick without a deficit and a points wipe out. The bid of 1 is now just what is it worth to the crows. Is it 1 of integrity or merit? Or just to pull the pressure away from whoever they chose?

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think the Crows lean toward Thilthorpe at this stage.
He is legit talented.
For his size his speed, agility, contested marking, set shot accuracy and general field play is amazing.
Kids like that don't come along every draft, and the chances of Adelaide grabbing another like him, at this stage of a rebuild, that's a local lad and a Crows supporter is one in a decade type stuff.

Neale4brownlow

Norm Smith Medallist
May 20, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
If JUH is the best then Crows should take him at No.1 no question.

Not a fan of clubs not picking players just because they know they'll get matched by an academy bid. Why are you helping out that other club?

Dogs are getting a great deal trading in junk to gain a great player at a discount.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
If JUH is the best then Crows should take him at No.1 no question.

Not a fan of clubs not picking players just because they know they'll get matched by an academy bid. Why are you helping out that other club?

Dogs are getting a great deal trading in junk to gain a great player at a discount.
Yep it’s fair enough if he’s 1 on their list, there’s no doubt that there is something special about pick 1 though but they obviously don’t buy into that.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Thilthorpe at #1 might be seen as a reach, but not at #2 - far less pressure on the young man too not being the highest rank in his group.

Plus it's nice for the NGA to disappear after reaching the absolute peak.
Do people really buy into this pick 1 pressure thing for these top end picks? These kids have been building to this point and are very confident.

Do people really buy into this pick 1 pressure thing for these top end picks? These kids have been building to this point and are very confident.

They all know the value that has been placed on them as high draft picks. Next time you get the chance, ask a #2 or #3 draft pick how it felt to not go #1 - it's quite motivating. That helps balance out pressure of asking if you've already peaked in juniors.

Not to mention the media attention difference between the first and second picks in the draft.

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Yep it’s fair enough if he’s 1 on their list, there’s no doubt that there is something special about pick 1 though but they obviously don’t buy into that.
I don't think Adelaide care really.
If JUH wasn't an NGA, Adelaide would have selected him with pick 1. May as well bid on him and then select their second option.
Looks like they'll bid on JUH with pick 1 anyway.

Jun 19, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They all know the value that has been placed on them as high draft picks. Next time you get the chance, ask a #2 or #3 draft pick how it felt to not go #1 - it's quite motivating. That helps balance out pressure of asking if you've already peaked in juniors.

Not to mention the media attention difference between the first and second picks in the draft.
Fair enough. When you hear your McDonald, Hollands, DGB talk they sound like they would relish being number 1. If JUH is clear number 1 then it’s fair enough.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Max King was coming off an ACL too
so was Michael Apeness in his draft year in 2013. But you already know that.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
For us McDonald or Thilthorpe would be the only option really.

Having said that I really like the look of Will Phillips
Yeah as a Freo fan, Tilthorpe or McDonald would be the obvious choice.

Had Kaine Baldwin not do his ACL, that 18 year old CHF from Glenelg would of been. A top 5 or top 10 pic as well

Johnny Bananas

Premiership Player Hater
Sep 10, 2010
Next door
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
People theorise that the pressure of being #1 helped cook Jack Watts' career. But maybe that was just the pressure of being sold as Melbourne's saviour. Or maybe it had nothing to do with it and he simply wasn't as adaptable to the top level as people thought.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Watts, Scully, Swallow, Patton, Boyd, McCartin have all massively underachieved. Even Whitfield struggled early and hasn't totally put it together.

Kreuzer too, and can even make a case that Murphy and Gibbs should've been better.

Weitering and McGrath have bunked the trend, Rayner's a question mark on output but not on talent, Walsh fantastic output but still some doubt on absolute high end talent. So maybe it's getting better. And a lot of the failures have been either bad luck or bad management at the clubs that picked them. Overall though it's a heck of a burden. Even someone like Walsh plays very well and gets a whole bunch of publicity for not being as silky smooth as guys drafted after him.

Back