Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Dec 22, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
CDFC
Its been a few years since I have started a new thread however with the teams demise I just wanted to share my thoughts and create a discussion on what has caused our demise, in my opinion there is not one single factor its a mutilple of factors, they include:

1. List Management
2. Footy Program
3. Player Leadership
4. Team Selection

Firstly List Mgt
Once upon a day under Noble's guidance the club would not offer multi year deals to players who had past 30 and would prefer to offer 2 year deals to players who were 29 approaching 30. However now we have Gibbs, Eddie, Tex, JJ and Lynch all on multi year deals which now creates further issues at selection and how to now re-generate this list.

Footy Program
3 years ago Fagan and Chapman promised an elite footy program, since this decision we have lost Noble and replaced him with Burton and lost coaches like JPod, Teague and Francou, with this in mind it can be argued that our coaching strength has gone backwards, Campo has been there too long, Hart has failed in every role to date, our midfield has gone backwards under Godden who has never been head hunted for any other AFL job and I think Mattner has done a good job considering our defence is under fire due to the midfield and forward line under performing

Roo cannot escape criticism either, he seems to be at the club by Title alone and I cant see where he is stamping any influence on the club other than making comments in the media.

Roo has a similar position to that of Dunstall when he went to Hawthorn, what is clear Dunstall was active in driving change at Hawthorn and went against the easy decision to hire Ayres over Clarkson and as a result has left his mark in an off-field role at the club. However Roo was central in getting Burton to the club, is a strong supporter of Campo and was keen to bring Goody back as a Head Coach.....

Like all, I love Roo however if he is to stay in a Board role he needs to be as ruthless off the field as he was on the field.

Player Leadership
This is a biggy for me....... Walshy use to talk about Nan-Conversations however over the past 2 years I've heard Tex say on numerous occassions that he would never ever question the players effort, which in itself is disturbing!

How can you be an elite program that reviews thoroughly however your not prepared to question effort when effort has a major contribution to the outcome of a game?

Lets also go back to the famous camp of two pre-seasons ago, my info is the players had a sook about not having mobile phones for 2 days however there were protocols put in place for family to reach players if an immediate or urgent issue was to arise......….. this grievance by the players (about the phones) went on for too long and demonstrates to me the culture of the playing group.

Interesting that the two playing groups that have complained about pre-seanson camps (Adelaide / Melbourne) are now struggling to be tough enough for long enough on the field.

Now I hear that with Gibbs, JJ, Douglas and Betts all being dropped this year that their are members of the playing group don't like playing with the fear of the selection axe over their head!!! Honestly have I missed something here? Hasn't football always been a performance based sport, if your in good form you play, if your in poor form you risk the chance of losing your spot

Team Selection
Let me start of by saying that I am a supporter of Pyke however my support is starting to dissolve and my biggest concern is his selection policy, Pyke's selection policy doesn't reward form, lacks courage to change his preferred structure and its 100% focus on winning next week.

The lack of having an eye on the future creates a selection behaviour to keep going back to the likes of DMac, Gibbs, Douglas and Otten in the hope that thier experience will help us get the 4 points but in doing so we lose the opportunity to play players who will hopefully be our future.

We are not going to win the flag this year, finishing 8th or 10th makes minimal difference to me so lets take the Clarkson approach and play players who wil be part of your next premiership challenge

There is a lot that needs to be fixed to get us back challenging and playing consistent footy

Last edited:
Couldn't have summarised the issues better myself.

My concern is that those in the club at all levels are more concerned with locking down no change to protect themselves, rather than making the necessary changes we need to move forward.

2017 may be 2 years ago, but in footy terms in may as well be a decade ago.

We badly need a change agent.

Couldn't have summarised the issues better myself.

My concern is that those in the club at all levels are more concerned with locking down no change to protect themselves, rather than making the necessary changes we need to move forward.

2017 may be 2 years ago, but in footy terms in may as well be a decade ago.

We badly need a change agent.

Mate we badly need a positive disruptor

the club has fallen asleep at the wheel, I'm also concerned that Pyke is getting what he is asking for in terms of resources and structure

Too many former players at the club, too many long term senior employees, not nearly enough accountability or adequate performance standards. The list doesn't look disastrous to me but the lack of quality in the admin and footy department is killing it.

Pure gut feel but I get the impression it hasn't been a good work environment there for a while.

Good post. You can’t pinpoint one area for our issues.

We seem to be in the same 3-4 year cycle where we don’t make finals for a couple of years, sack the coach, get a spike in performance for a couple of years then missing the finals for a couple of years, and back to where it all started.

As far as I can see the only real change we do is sack the coach and everyone else survives. When will the Board be held accountable?

The Board only ever has short term view, and that is to be competitive to make the top 8 and that will be good enough to keep our supporters turning up to games. We’ve heard it all before that we don’t rebuild. Well, we haven’t won a premiership in 21 years with our short term strategy. We’ve had a poor performance in finals over this time because our team hasn’t had enough class to get us over the line in big games. It’s time we tried something different and we might actually get a different result.

For the rest of the year I want us to filter some kids into the team, rather than bring in more senior guys to try and sneak into the 8 this year. What will it achieve making the finals with one of the oldest teams, if not the oldest, that have failed time and time again on the big stage?

Good post. You can’t pinpoint one area for our issues.

We seem to be in the same 3-4 year cycle where we don’t make finals for a couple of years, sack the coach, get a spike in performance for a couple of years then missing the finals for a couple of years, and back to where it all started.

As far as I can see the only real change we do is sack the coach and everyone else survives. When will the Board be held accountable?

The Board only ever has short term view, and that is to be competitive to make the top 8 and that will be good enough to keep our supporters turning up to games. We’ve heard it all before that we don’t rebuild. Well, we haven’t won a premiership in 21 years with our short term strategy. We’ve had a poor performance in finals over this time because our team hasn’t had enough class to get us over the line in big games. It’s time we tried something different and we might actually get a different result.

For the rest of the year I want us to filter some kids into the team, rather than bring in more senior guys to try and sneak into the 8 this year. What will it achieve making the finals with one of the oldest teams, if not the oldest, that have failed time and time again on the big stage?

great post

I would also add player retention to the OT. Way too many players of real quality have wanted to move on. Yes we ha e kept a few but you do also have to ask whether we have a culture problem that is well known throughout the conp because we lose quality players and hardly seem a destination club. Take CC for example, they had been a basket case for years. We had just played in a GF and he could not wait to get out.

Is it time we protested at parliament house yet?

The fundamental function of the Adelaide Football Club is not to win premierships. It never has been and, under the way the club is run, will never be. If we do win one it will be a happy coincidence, not because it was strategically planned. The flipside of that is that it is not a coincidence that we haven't won a premiership for 20 years. In fact, the only time our board and club mechanisms actually went outside of their normal processes was when Blight rocked the boat and look what happened.

You reckon the players and the coaches are cooked? You'd be right. But that's not the core issue.

Interesting is that most companies align to some sort of standard, is there a national/international standard for sporting organisations? At least as a benchmark? How do you audit/review yourself without known standards?

On Phone 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app

You go back to the mission/vision statement organisations write and start by identifying if you are meeting that.

Does anyone know what the Adelaide Crows mission statement is?

Winning a premiership is a nice cherry on top if it came along but not why they are there and doing what they do.
The powers there don't have an absolute fierce, ferocious, insatiable appetite to leave no stone unturned, everything it takes, club is bigger than the individual style attitude and determination for it.

Always striving for it in the way of a nice by-product of forging out careers for themselves individually.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Interesting is that most companies align to some sort of standard, is there a national/international standard for sporting organisations? At least as a benchmark? How do you audit/review yourself without known standards?

On Phone 2 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not sure AFC even has an core mission statement / club mantra. It may seem superficial, but without that philosophical foundation informing all decisions, long-term consequences are at the whim of those who currently run the show.

Not sure AFC even has an core mission statement / club mantra. It may seem superficial, but without that philosophical foundation informing all decisions, long-term consequences are at the whim of those who currently run the show.
Maybe we exist to win premierships?

Rob Chapman is the biggest problem we have. Get rid of him and we have a chance of change.
Brett Burton not far behind. Absolutely the wrong type of person to be associated in a club environment or hold any key role.
And probably Roo
We have an incredibly selfish culture at the club where senior players only think of themselves instead of the team or club coming first.
How about senior players retiring to give young guys a go at developing instead of hanging around for an extra year or two to top up their retirement fund.
I think fans are understanding of the club if they are losing but blooding young talent.
We seem to have the wrong values as a club and that leads us to where we are today.

If you look at the football dept, board and administration is there anyone who stands out as being best in show. The GF was an unexpected surprise not something that we planned for hence the whole club froze/choked on the big stage. There are little things that happened that you look back on now and think how the hell did that get the green light - i.e. power stance. Who came up with that ridiculous idea? Because of it we gave Richmond a psychological advantage.

Also, don't underestimate how dangerous the ego of an ex-player (Roo) can be on a footy club (Hird, Voss). The decision to appoint Burton was one of the main reasons our premiership window was completely ruined. I would also like to know whose decision it was to appoint SOJ as a list manager.

On the bright side a club can turn a poor culture around pretty quickly if there is a hunger to improve from the senior leadership. To do this over the next 3 years we would have to weed out Chapman, Roo, Reid and most of the coaching group. I'm also starting to think Walker has to much power at the AFC.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back