Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

Remove this Banner Ad

My point was someone wanted to ban foreign media ownership in Australia. By your own comment, that has to include streaming.

Foxtel and all FTA stream live. Excluding it creates a massive loophole (esp as Foxtel will eventually go 100% streaming)
i think there is to an extent a difference between local media being bought up and foreign media setting up locally

but either way Rupert sucks

i think there is to an extent a difference between local media being bought up and foreign media setting up locally

but either way Rupert sucks

There actually isn't, and we have precedent

Remember all the punting companies who set up in Darwin and then Vanuatu to bypass local gambling laws?

Its very easy to set up local content with OS delivery today

There actually isn't, and we have precedent

Remember all the punting companies who set up in Darwin and then Vanuatu to bypass local gambling laws?

Its very easy to set up local content with OS delivery today
we're talking about different things and i dont mean gambling vs streaming

i mean Murdoch bought up a lot of Australian owned media, companies that didn't used to be part of news corp

its not the same as CNN setting up shop here, a company that was started overseas

we're talking about different things and i dont mean gambling vs streaming

i mean Murdoch bought up a lot of Australian owned media, companies that didn't used to be part of news corp

its not the same as CNN setting up shop here, a company that was started overseas

No we are not.

If Australia banned foreign media ownership, all that would happen is the owners would close the local offices, close the AU operation, and tag all of its staff to work for an OS entity for streaming delivery.

The idea you need a local company to deliver news is a so bygone it's not even funny.

No we are not.

If Australia banned foreign media ownership, all that would happen is the owners would close the local offices, close the AU operation, and tag all of its staff to work for an OS entity for streaming delivery.

The idea you need a local company to deliver news is a so bygone it's not even funny.
ah I see you're for foreign ownership

ah I see you're for foreign ownership

I have zero *s about foreign ownership.

You can't stop it now anyway thanks to the internet.

Or do you have a Delorian, and plan to take us back to 1955?

I have zero fu**s about foreign ownership.

You can't stop it now anyway thanks to the internet.

Or do you have a Delorian, and plan to take us back to 1955?
I love you how you constantly argue about stuff you don't care about.......

I love you how you constantly argue about stuff you don't care about.......

And I love that you think symbolic gestures that achieve nothing are all that's needed to fix the world.

If you want to fix media content, ownership isn't the problem. Its what people are choosing to consume that is.

And I love that you think symbolic gestures that achieve nothing are all that's needed to fix the world.
uh no that's your interpretation of alternative views to your own
If you want to fix media content, ownership isn't the problem. Its what people are choosing to consume that is.
you think ownership doesn't impact the choices available to consume?

interesting

uh no that's your interpretation of alternative views to your own

you think ownership doesn't impact the choices available to consume?

interesting

The main media consumed these days is via social media, and none of that is locally owned.

Foreign ownership stopped being a relevant issue once the media ownership laws became meaningless thanks to the net.

The main media consumed these days is via social media, and none of that is locally owned.

Foreign ownership stopped being a relevant issue once the media ownership laws became meaningless thanks to the net.
So you don't think the Murdoch media is highly influential in Australian politics because facebook?

I think Zuckerberg has more influence than Rupe
so Rupert isn't an issue anymore, its facebook not the HUN or Sky or Fox news that is the problem

(Log in to remove this ad.)

so Rupert isn't an issue anymore, its facebook not the HUN or Sky or Fox news that is the problem

I love you absolutists

He is an issue, but not our biggest one.

Paper subscriptions are falling
Foxtel subscriptions are falling
His firewalls are just driving eyeballs to other media

You're wetting the bed over a sinking ship. Once dad's dead, most of news in Australia won't exist.

I love you absolutists

He is an issue, but not our biggest one.

Paper subscriptions are falling
Foxtel subscriptions are falling
His firewalls are just driving eyeballs to other media

You're wetting the bed over a sinking ship. Once dad's dead, most of news in Australia won't exist.
we're in the Rupert thread.........

and no I'm not talking about absolutes I'm talking about the issue of Murdoch having so much sway politically in Australia, a country he doesn't live in

you know like the topic of the thread, you are going the other way, I think this is worse so ignore Rupert, he's not dead and done yet Ned, start a thread about the risk of Facebook, I agree Facebook is dangerous but you're inserting whataboutisms into an argument that was specific to Rupert in Australia

and doing your usual attack crap

we're in the Rupert thread.........

and no I'm not talking about absolutes I'm talking about the issue of Murdoch having so much sway politically in Australia, a country he doesn't live in

you know like the topic of the thread, you are going the other way, I think this is worse so ignore Rupert, he's not dead and done yet Ned, start a thread about the risk of Facebook, I agree Facebook is dangerous but you're inserting whataboutisms into an argument that was specific to Rupert in Australia

and doing your usual attack crap
God you love a cry

yeah I don't see the problem going away with dad

The problem was never Rupert, or NewsCorp. (not really).

Legislation is one thing, (and any legislation would basically be meaningless, given the internet). The real downfall of Rupert et al is an educated population that can see through the crap.

And yes I know that's not going to happen without serious changes to our media landscape.

What all the arguments about traditional media being irrelevant ignore is the unengaged voter.

This morning I had a coffee with friends & on every table is a copy of the Aus & the West.
Popped in at the local market on my way home & lined up near the checkout the same papers.

Both these rags are running wall to wall “scumo good albo bad” headline & photos every day.
It’s never been this blanket or this blatant.

If Joe average who doesn’t give a toss about politics does what I did today then comes home & watches 7 or 9 news in passing, the only message he’s getting is “scomo good, albo bad”. That’s the entirety of their political discourse beyond maybe some slightly less ignorant family member or work colleagues who are likely to be simply repeating the talking points of the party they follow.

The level of political engagement on these boards is, for the most part far more intelligent & informed than Joe average. That’s why we’re here, we’re political nerds (those that aren’t trolling or schilling).

Joe average & his vote is why these legacy media companies still have an outsized sway in proceedings & to argue otherwise is disingenuous or deliberate deflection.

What all the arguments about traditional media being irrelevant ignore is the unengaged voter.

This morning I had a coffee with friends & on every table is a copy of the Aus & the West.
Popped in at the local market on my way home & lined up near the checkout the same papers.

Both these rags are running wall to wall “scumo good albo bad” headline & photos every day.
It’s never been this blanket or this blatant.

If Joe average who doesn’t give a toss about politics does what I did today then comes home & watches 7 or 9 news in passing, the only message he’s getting is “scomo good, albo bad”. That’s the entirety of their political discourse beyond maybe some slightly less ignorant family member or work colleagues who are likely to be simply repeating the talking points of the party they follow.

The level of political engagement on these boards is, for the most part far more intelligent & informed than Joe average. That’s why we’re here, we’re political nerds (those that aren’t trolling or schilling).

Joe average & his vote is why these legacy media companies still have an outsized sway in proceedings & to argue otherwise is disingenuous or deliberate deflection.
And did you flip them over so the sport showed ?

Watching piers Morgan try to put a positive spin on the paltry 100,000 viewers his talk TV (Rupert Murdoch's new venture) show is a thing a pure beauty.

Grifters gonna grift.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back