Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

Remove this Banner Ad

View attachment 881890

Interesting .... I read his daughter Elisabeth tossed her hat back in the ring, the sleeper imho.

Edit: think this is the most relevant recent article I read. The dynamics of wealthy family business empires in Aus is an interest.

Last edited:
Interesting .... I read his daughter Elisabeth tossed her hat back in the ring, the sleeper imho.

Edit: think this is the most relevant recent article I read. The dynamics of wealthy family business empires in Aus is an interest.

Ever read " The rise and rise of Kerry Packer " ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

News Corp to cut 'up to a third of workforce' in move towards digital-only publishing
News Corp Australia is poised to cut hundreds of jobs as it moves towards digital-only publishing for many of its local and regional papers and more copy sharing among its metropolitan mastheads the Daily Telegraph and the Herald Sun.

The executive chairman of News Corp Australasia, Michael Miller, has hinted the company is on the brink of upheaval, saying last week it was evolving from “a network of newspapers” to “Australia’s leading journalism network”.

The job cuts Miller has warned are “inevitable” after the collapse of the advertising market during the pandemic are expected to hit the publisher’s local and regional newspaper staff as well as the major mastheads as soon as this week.

News Corp to cut 'up to a third of workforce' in move towards digital-only publishing
News Corp Australia is poised to cut hundreds of jobs as it moves towards digital-only publishing for many of its local and regional papers and more copy sharing among its metropolitan mastheads the Daily Telegraph and the Herald Sun.

The executive chairman of News Corp Australasia, Michael Miller, has hinted the company is on the brink of upheaval, saying last week it was evolving from “a network of newspapers” to “Australia’s leading journalism network”.

The job cuts Miller has warned are “inevitable” after the collapse of the advertising market during the pandemic are expected to hit the publisher’s local and regional newspaper staff as well as the major mastheads as soon as this week.

haha they are a long way from being able to use that word.

haha they are a long way from being able to use that word.
Don't confuse journalism and editorial policy. There's nothing wrong with a lot of the journalism in many of News Corp's papers. The Australian still employs most of the best print journalists in the country, and has won more Gold Walkleys in the last 20 years than the rest of the print media put together.

I don't really think anyone should be celebrating this development. Increased copy-sharing means less local and regional news, which is a bad outcome for communities. We are going to see a lot less media oversight and scrutiny of state and local government, which serves nobody's interests other than politicians.

Most media organisations are shadows of their former selves, unfortunately. The Australian still does a lot of the heavy lifting when it comes to quality print journalism (especially investigative journalism) in this country.

Their editorial policy is however highly politicised - meaning that articles get subbed with misleading headlines, and stories that don't fit a specific narrative get spiked (if anyone bothers to write them at all). It's extremely sad because the quality of what they do produce can't really be matched by any other outlet (bar maybe the AFR).

"[The Company Formerly Known As] FaREFax LoST moNEY BeCaUSe LefTyz AjEnda LoL!! GIT WOKE, GO BROKE!1" are quiet about this.

Don't confuse journalism and editorial policy. There's nothing wrong with a lot of the journalism in many of News Corp's papers. The Australian still employs most of the best print journalists in the country, and has won more Gold Walkleys in the last 20 years than the rest of the print media put together.

I don't really think anyone should be celebrating this development. Increased copy-sharing means less local and regional news, which is a bad outcome for communities. We are going to see a lot less media oversight and scrutiny of state and local government, which serves nobody's interests other than politicians.

Seem to be a number of the usual suspects cheering job losses !!

As one who rarely buys a newspaper these days, I'm not surprised.

I only get it for the sport and the crossword. The rest lines my kitty's trays.
I've never really understood this point of view. In the last 15 years, Oz journalists have won 3 of the 7 Gold Walkleys awarded to print outlets. No other paper had more than one.

Given their editorial policy I definitely wouldn't tell people to get all their news from The Australian, but the idea that they don't produce high quality journalism is mystifying. Their investigations team is probably second only to Four Corners.

"[The Company Formerly Known As] FaREFax LoST moNEY BeCaUSe LefTyz AjEnda LoL!! GIT WOKE, GO BROKE!1" are quiet about this.
Is that a substantial portion of people? I think it’s generally acknowledged that print journalism is on the decline.

The outlets that are most vulnerable (both within News and Fairfax) are the rural and regional mastheads, which tend to be pretty apolitical. They’re also the ones we can stand least to lose.

In April we effectively lost 150 papers around Australia - either by ending their print edition or closing their newsroom. None were what you would describe as politically-driven publications. News Corp has now announced the loss of another 120 papers, 100 by going online-only and 20 by simply being shut. None of those are political either.

That’s 270 papers and counting that will no longer be connecting communities and holding local politicians and businesses accountable.

But I guess if you’re dumb enough to treat this all as some sort of political vindication, that’s your prerogative.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back