Who's afraid of Rupert Murdoch? The end of an era.

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not about his treatment of a politician. That politician's actions and decisions during Covid have the backing of the vast majority of Victorians.

So when Murdoch's rag shits on Andrews, it shits on most Victorians. So they're not so inclined to buy his worthless toilet paper any more.
You know the polls back Scomo as well?

So I suppose the media that shits on him, shits on the majority of Australians.

You know the polls back Scomo as well?

So I suppose the media that shits on him, shits on the majority of Australians.
I'm unaware of any media shitting on Morrison the way the Murdoch press has shat on Andrews. There is a fundamental qualitative difference.

Last edited:

Well David Milner has a nice little whinge about Morrison. Does he know he's shitting on the majority of Australians? Or doesn't that count.
Lol David Milner, vs a sustained shitspraying campaign over six months from the entire Murdoch apparatus.

Grasping at straws mate.

Rudd's petition is a dog's breakfast.

No one is forced to buy a Herald Sun or Australian subscription - both websites are paywalled. You can read the The Age, ABC, SBS or The Guardian for free. You can get your news from Green Left weekly if you choose to.

Likewise no one is forced to pay for Foxtel and watch Sky News when you can watch ABC, SBS, Ch 7, Ch 9, Ch 10 for free.

With the demise of print media the arse has dropped out of local reporting. It was never very influential politically.

This claim in the petition is laughable.

Australians who hold contrary views have felt intimidated into silence. These facts chill free speech and undermine public debate.​
The reality is that people who hold contrary views to the PC consensus are the ones being intimidated into silence.

No one is forced to buy a Herald Sun or Australian subscription - both websites are paywalled. You can read the The Age, ABC, SBS or The Guardian for free. You can get your news from Green Left weekly if you choose to.

Likewise no one is forced to pay for Foxtel and watch Sky News when you can watch ABC, SBS, Ch 7, Ch 9, Ch 10 for free.

With the demise of print media the arse has dropped out of local reporting. It was never very influential politically.

Australians who hold contrary views have felt intimidated into silence. These facts chill free speech and undermine public debate.​
The reality is that people who hold contrary views to the PC consensus are the ones being intimidated into silence.
And yet copies of the Observer found their way subscription free into letterboxes in marginal seats across QLD for weeks prior to the last federal election...

The reality is that the majority of the media in this country is owned by a member of the IPA or ran by a member of the IPA.

Guess you’ve never been on the receiving end of a Murdoch campaign. There is simply no equivalent in reverse. Reasoned criticism of a conservative figure in The Guardian doesn’t exactly compare to Murdoch’s sustained s**t avalanche when he perceives someone is not toeing his line.

And your last line is arrant bullschitte.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And yet copies of the Observer found their way subscription free into letterboxes in marginal seats across QLD for weeks prior to the last federal election...

The reality is that the majority of the media in this country is owned by a member of the IPA or ran by a member of the IPA.

Media ownership doesn't equal readership. The Brisbane Times is subscription free as is the ABC, SBS, The Guardian, Green Left weekly.

TV channels ABC, SBS, Ch 7, Ch 9, Ch 10 are free.

Guess you’ve never been on the receiving end of a Murdoch campaign. There is simply no equivalent in reverse. Reasoned criticism of a conservative figure in The Guardian doesn’t exactly compare to Murdoch’s sustained sh*t avalanche when he perceives someone is not toeing his line.

There was a sustained media campaign against Tony Abbott for 'misogyny'.

And your last line is arrant bullschitte.

Professor Peter Ridd, long-serving head of the physics department at Queensland's James Cook University was sacked for his criticism of the scientific consensus on climate change. The National Tertiary Education Union supported him. Michael McNally, the union's Queensland secretary.

The Peter Ridd issue highlights the lengths to which university managements will go in terms of trampling on the rights of their staff if they think their institution's reputation or prestige is in question.​

In the US there is intolerance on university campuses - if you are a conservative and want to make a keynote address you will need a security detail.

A senior Boeing executive was recently forced to resign on the back of a nasty Twitter campaign because of an article that he'd written in 1987 saying that women shouldn't serve in military combat units - a mainstream view back then.

A University of Chicago economist was forced to resign from the Federal Reserve of Chicago for tweeting that BLM had shot themselves in the foot by supporting calls to defund the police.

Media ownership doesn't equal readership. The Brisbane Times is subscription free as is the ABC, SBS, The Guardian, Green Left weekly.

TV channels ABC, SBS, Ch 7, Ch 9, Ch 10 are free.
It's funny how quickly you jumped at that opportunity to obscure, to deflect, to mindlessly oppose with an 'it's not that simple'.

ABC is run by Ida Buttrose, someone who ran multiple Murdoch magazines. Ch.7 is owned by Kerry Stokes. Ch.9 is run by Peter Costello. Gina Rineheart no longer serves on the board at Ch.10, but she still owns her part stake.

The Brisbane Times is owned and operated by 9 Publishing.

So, you're telling me, then, that The Guardian, SBS and Green Left Weekly's reach and audience is equal to that of Ch.2, Ch.7, Ch.9, Ch.10, all of the Murdoch and the Fairfax papers, and the substantial numbers of talkback radio that both run?

Media ownership and operation doesn't equal readership or audience, but that pithy little deflection (which you stole from Kwality) doesn't actually function unless one confines this argument to the Murdoch papers, which I didn't. My focus is on the IPA, which has a much broader reach and is much more insidious.

they are being subsidized in multiple arrangements now by the Australian Government

that means that regardless of whether or not i buy their rags or pay TV, I'm paying for it

It's funny how quickly you jumped at that opportunity to obscure, to deflect, to mindlessly oppose with an 'it's not that simple'.

ABC is run by Ida Buttrose, someone who ran multiple Murdoch magazines. Ch.7 is owned by Kerry Stokes. Ch.9 is run by Peter Costello. Gina Rineheart no longer serves on the board at Ch.10, but she still owns her part stake.

The Brisbane Times is owned and operated by 9 Publishing.

So, you're telling me, then, that The Guardian, SBS and Green Left Weekly's reach and audience is equal to that of Ch.2, Ch.7, Ch.9, Ch.10, all of the Murdoch and the Fairfax papers, and the substantial numbers of talkback radio that both run?

Media ownership and operation doesn't equal readership or audience, but that pithy little deflection (which you stole from Kwality) doesn't actually function unless one confines this argument to the Murdoch papers, which I didn't. My focus is on the IPA, which has a much broader reach and is much more insidious.

'Ida' Buttrose doesn't run the ABC. She's the chair.

So you're telling me The Brisbane Times, The Guardian, SBS, Green Left Weekly, Ch.2, Ch.7, Ch.9, Ch.10 are all available free for anyone to view, and not part of this alleged IPA/Murdoch conspiracy?

'Ida' Buttrose doesn't run the ABC. She's the chair.
Semantics. I say potAYto, you say, "media ownership does not equal readership".

So you're telling me The Brisbane Times, The Guardian, SBS, Green Left Weekly, Ch.2, Ch.7, Ch.9, Ch.10 are all available free for anyone to view, and not part of this alleged IPA/Murdoch conspiracy?
Do yourself a favour, and read the posts you quote before you try to make a comment on them. It helps you look coherent and not like an ill-considered pedant.

The funny thing is the one I left out, who - in the time I took looking at it, which wasn't overly long - is the current chair of SBS, George Savvides.

He may not be a member of the IPA - insofar as I could tell, given maybe 5 minutes of research - but he'd certainly fit in.

Semantics. I say potAYto, you say, "media ownership does not equal readership".

Do yourself a favour, and read the posts you quote before you try to make a comment on them. It helps you look coherent and not like an ill-considered pedant.

The funny thing is the one I left out, who - in the time I took looking at it, which wasn't overly long - is the current chair of SBS, George Savvides.

He may not be a member of the IPA - insofar as I could tell, given maybe 5 minutes of research - but he'd certainly fit in.

You are sounding a bit nutty, implying that the ABC and SBS are part of this IPA/Murdoch conspiracy.

There was a sustained media campaign against Tony Abbott for ‘misogyny’
No there wasn’t a campaign. He is a misogynist and the credible press held him to account. Your quotation marks are completely unwarranted.

Professor Peter Ridd, long-serving head of the physics department at Queensland's James Cook University was sacked for his criticism of the scientific consensus on climate change. The National Tertiary Education Union supported him. Michael McNally, the union's Queensland secretary.

The Peter Ridd issue highlights the lengths to which university managements will go in terms of trampling on the rights of their staff if they think their institution's reputation or prestige is in question.​

In the US there is intolerance on university campuses - if you are a conservative and want to make a keynote address you will need a security detail.

A senior Boeing executive was recently forced to resign on the back of a nasty Twitter campaign because of an article that he'd written in 1987 saying that women shouldn't serve in military combat units - a mainstream view back then.

A University of Chicago economist was forced to resign from the Federal Reserve of Chicago for tweeting that BLM had shot themselves in the foot by supporting calls to defund the police.
So, one Australian case, which is not even remotely an example of a media campaign, and then a whole bunch of cases from a whole other country, none of which on the face of it are examples of a media campaign.

What any of that has to do with Murdoch’s notorious shitshowers eludes me and makes me suspect you’re just quoting from some American website you’ve happened across.

You are sounding a bit nutty, implying that the ABC and SBS are part of this IPA/Murdoch conspiracy.
And you are being deliberately obtuse, so snap!

It's also a bit funny, really, how you went from arguing substantially - with that stolen little nugget of yours - to the traditional aspersion cast at someone talking about the press in Australia, "Conspiracy theory." I mean, it took less than a single post for you to change tack.

Perhaps you could put in a little more effort to your constant opposition, hmm? That way it looks like you're at least considering what you're arguing against.

No there wasn’t a campaign. He is a misogynist and the credible press held him to account. Your quotation marks are completely unwarranted.

Yeah and Daniel Andrews has presided over the biggest public policy failure in Australian history then called a public inquiry where he and all his ministers claimed they couldn't remember anything. The credible press is holding him to account.

Yeah and Daniel Andrews has presided over the biggest public policy failure in Australian history then called a public inquiry where he and all his ministers claimed they couldn't remember anything. The credible press is holding him to account.
Credible press? We’re talking about Murdoch’s rags and their shitshower. You call the Herald Sun or The Australian “credible”?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back