Who's career has been better, Daisy Thomas or Brett Deleidio?

Who had the better career?

• Daisy

• Lids

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

secondcoming

Rookie
Aug 17, 2019
AFL Club
Melbourne
Games, age, positions, draft and impact are pretty similar. At one point in each of their careers both looked like a lock for Hall of Fame, this recognition may be given to neither.

For mine, Daisy had a very short period he may have been one of the top 3 players in the game, Deleidio was ultra consistent and may have suffered from playing in a poor team the majority of his career.

I went Deledio. Twice All-Australian, 3 other times in the squad of 40. Think he was better for longer.

Daisy was ridiculously good in 2010 and 2011 but was never the same after the injuries. Happy he had a late resurrection at Carlton but really didn't do much from 2012-2017.

Deledio was fantastic for a very long time and so durable before an injury came that ultimately decayed him to drop right off in his twilight years.
Daisy's best football season(s) were probably better, but Deledio played more high level football than Daisy did over the journey. Should comfortably go down as the better player.

Voted Thomas purely because of the flag, which he played a big part in.

At his best during this time he was one of the game's best. Difference between his best and worst is too far apart though IMO.

Deledio had the more consistent career. I would draft Deledio over Thomas any day of the week knowing what we know now.

Deledio for a period looked like Richmond's best player and was a strong barometer for whether or not they'd be competitive - much like Fremantle with Nat Fyfe - a team that still included Dusty and Cotchin at the time, too. I was incredibly tempted to vote him for that reason alone.

But!

Malthouse built his entire game-plan for Collingwood around Shaw and Thomas (kicking long against the boundary line, repeat ad nausea). He won a premiership with that game-plan. Had the chance to win two in a row. Thomas has been listed in the Bests of every single GF he has played in. Deledio is more recent, so wanting to vote for him is probably a bit of recency bias on my part, so I resisted the urge. Thomas was an absolute monster at Collingwood. So I ended up voting for Thomas, mostly because he has the premiership, and appeared in three GFs total. With Bests in all of them. Bit of a ramble / stream of conscience, but hopefully that's understandable, lol.

Deledio won back to back B&F's individually you would say he had the edge, Dale Thomas won a premiership and will probably leave the game more content.

Who had the better career is very subjective. both would have made good money for most of their careers. some players can only dream of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Jacob Townsend had had a better career than Nick Riewoldt because he's won a flag?

Deledio better career and player by a long way.
No not necessarily, townsend wasn't half the player these two were, daisy was a pretty good footballer at collingwood until injuries struck him down, he was one of the star players in that team that helped them get that flag, something deledio could never achieve, so even though I rate deledio as the better player it's not a huge gulf in class.

Daisy's best was arguably as good as deledio's best, deledio just did it for longer because of injuries

Last edited:
So Jacob Townsend had had a better career than Nick Riewoldt because he's won a flag?

Deledio better career and player by a long way.

Daisy has definitely had the better career and to be honest as players it's a coin flip too.

Daisy on heights hit.
Lids on consistency.

Daisy has definitely had the better career and to be honest as players it's a coin flip too.
Not really. Lids before GWS was amazingly durable and gave years of consistent high level football.

Their individual accolades put Lids slightly on top.

Daisy had some peak years at Collingwood then was largely forgotten about at the Blues due to injuries and form slumps.

Not really. Lids before GWS was amazingly durable and gave years of consistent high level football.

Their individual accolades put Lids slightly on top.

Daisy had some peak years at Collingwood then was largely forgotten about at the Blues due to injuries and form slumps.

I’d say they’ve both drifted in to nothingness as their careers took them elsewhere and the ravages if injury hit. I contend that Daisy hit a better peak though. Deledio May have been better longer... maybe. I never thought Daisy particularly inconsistent though. I think he was a lot harder at it than given credit for. But I don’t think there’s much in it either way.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Deleido, surely. Thomas was xender discord omegle underwhelming as a player, although I understand his body let him down as much as anything.
Daisy was ridiculously good in 2010 and 2011 but was never the same after the injuries. Happy he had a late resurrection at Carlton but really didn't do much from 2012-2017.

Last edited:
Deledio at least had a mostly uninterrupted prime; He missed just 4 games in his first 9 years at Richmond, then missed 4, 5, and 11 games respectively in his 10th-12th seasons.

Daisy at his best was one of the great "all-rounders" you'll ever see in footy. It looked like he could do it all - attack, defense, win the ball on the inside, receive on the outside, do the freakish, do the workmanlike, turn on the pace, run hard all day. Epitomised the classic gutsy wingman. Peaked at age 23-24, but fell off the cliff with injuries after that.

Lids was the problem at Richmond

According to Ben Crowe, who runs his own version of leading teams at Richmond, also mentors Ash Barty and Clarkson.

Apparently Lids wouldn’t buy in, talk to anyone but the other guns, then once he left it all changed, everyone bought into that mantra and look at the results in 2017 and since.

Lids has to be marked down for negative locker room presence and Daisy up for winning a flag, even though lids was better for longer.

I’m really disappointed we let Daisy go after his best season for us, surely we could have delisted Lang instead.

Back