Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters
Feb 11, 2011
pakenham
AFL Club
Fremantle
Freo's forward line could be special if it lives up to its potential. Could also turn to s**t as well.
Depends on injuries.
Lobb player 15 games last year
Hogan 12
McCarthy 12
Darcy 11 - Lobb need to play ruck
Taberner 9
Cox 8
Sturt was out for the season.

While Hogan’s stat weren’t great, Fremantle was 6-6 when he was in the team. Last game he got injured after first quarter and Fremantle were up by 12 points at quarter time with on the ground. So it could have been 7-5.

Lobb, Taberner and Hogan destroyed the Giants was year.

Can you be injury free?

Big question marks.

Nov 30, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Well you usually a decent side if you got a lot guys with 100-150 games under the belt. That is basically a lot of blokes in their prime years of the 24-29 year old range. Freo has around 7-9 players in the best 22 in that 27-29 year old range.

As I Said about Port. Only made finals once in the 2015-19 period and that was in 2017 when they easily stormed in to finals at 5th. In reality, Port should of made finals each year from 2015-19. Worse thing you can ever do in the AFL is Finish 9th. At least 8th gives you finals even if you stumble with a team with 5-8 players in your best 22 out and get belted by 60-80 points in an elim final. At least those younget guys in the 18-21 year bracket get to play finals.

I didnt mind freo finishing 14th with 8 wins in both the 2017 and 2018 seasons. At least freo had a top 5 pick to use to get a talented kid or trade for a decent player or trade pick 5 to get multiple picks. Freo used pick 5 on Adam cerra in 2017. In 2018, freo traded pick 5 and that 2019 3rd rounder to Port for picks 11, 13, 31 and 49, An excellent trade for freo.

Crows fall in 2017-18 is no way similar to Freos 2015-6. To this day, I am still bitter about Freos 2016 season. They were no way a 0-10 side. Had they got 7-8 wins in 2016, Then I wouldnt of been as upset or frustrated. It was an ageing squad and crippling injuries to certain players. Forutnately, 2016 was a fluke as Freo got 8 wins in 2017. With the crows, they finished top with 15 wins and a draw when in 2016, that would not of got you a top 4 spot. In 2018 Crows got 12 wins in certain years, Is enough to get a finals spot. they lost to Port by 5 points, and lost to freo by 3 points. turn both those losses in close wins and they finish 7th, GWS get 8th and Cats finish 9th.
We might have 7-9 players in our best 22 in the 24-29 range but will they be the ones to take Freo back to the finals?
Matera, Conca, Colyer and possibly even Wilson (overrated in my opinion) are in danger of being pushed out this season by the likes of Sturt, Henry, Serong, Valente, Young. Freo may have to go backwards to go forwards yet but if they can keep the list together they could see a heap of players coming into their prime together in 3-4 years time.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
We might have 7-9 players in our best 22 in the 24-29 range but will they be the ones to take Freo back to the finals?
Matera, Conca, Colyer and possibly even Wilson (overrated in my opinion) are in danger of being pushed out this season by the likes of Sturt, Henry, Serong, Valente, Young. Freo may have to go backwards to go forwards yet but if they can keep the list together they could see a heap of players coming into their prime together in 3-4 years time.
If any of the youngsters are pushing Conca and Wilson out of the team we are absolutely flying. They would be a pretty high quality 21st and 22nd player unless their levels drop significantly.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
As fellow freo supporters, Making finals last season would of been tough.

A new coach in Justin Longmuir might set Freo either a year back or possibly a year forward.

I dont expect freo to make finals this year. With each side playing 17 games, It would be nice to sneak into a finals spot with a 9-8 or 10-7 record.

If Freo dont make finals this year, I hope freo has a good 3 year run of finals starting hopefully next season in 2021. Would be good to play finals from 2021-23-24 even if its 3-4 elimination finals.

Looking at Freos best 22 and I will look at certain players in the list that are aged 27 or over bracket: Joel Hamling, Nathan Wilson, David Mundy, Stephen Hill, Reece Conca, Nathan Fyfe, Travis Coyler, Michael Walters, Matt Tarberner, Rory Lobb and Brandon Matera. Thats 11 players.

Mundy is 34 and should be gone this season. Stephen Hill turned 30 last month and is contracted until next season. the Other 9 players are in that 27-29 year old bracket and all will be phased out over a 2-4 year period depending on the team and certain players are performing.

Then you got the next in line, The 2016 draftees Logue, Darcy, Cox, Ryan, Duman. Its 2020 now and all 5 are in their 4th season. Ryan was the 21 year old mature ager, the others were 18-19 year old draftees. Then you got the 2017 draftees: Brayshaw, Cerra, Crowden, Giro. All 4 blokes were 18-19 years old in 2017 draft are now 21-22 years old.

you also have guys like Aish, Acres, Blakely and Darcy tucker all currently between 24-26 years old.

So the Age group of the team is well spreaded.

I said the ones specifically in that 27 years old and over section.....

Looking at Freos best 22 and I will look at certain players in the list that are aged 27 or over bracket: Joel Hamling, Nathan Wilson, David Mundy, Stephen Hill, Reece Conca, Nathan Fyfe, Travis Coyler, Michael Walters, Matt Tarberner, Rory Lobb and Brandon Matera. Thats 11 players.

David Mundy and Stephen Hill are 30 or over.

Matera will not get pushed out yet as he along with walters are the only small forwards that are capable of kicking 30 goals or more.

Conca and Coyler could be phased out but are experienced depth players. No chance a fully fit Nathan Wilson will be phased out in freos best back 6.

Hamling, Taberner, Lobb have 2-4 good years of footy left.

Your next aged tier of players are Tucker, Blakely, Acres and Aish are in that 24-25 year old range. All 4 fully fit are in freos est 22. Then the next tier are the 2016 draftees: Logue, Darcy, Duman, Cox and Ryan are in their 4th year and all can grab a spot in the 22.

Then the 2017 draftees: Brayshaw, Cerra, Crowden, Giro are all 3rd year mids. All were 18-19 years old in 2017 draft are now 21-22 years old.

Jan 31, 2009
New Highton
AFL Club
Adelaide
Port for now, Freo for near future, Adelaide for 5 years time.

Ports aging stars need to fire this season for their last chance at a flag for a while I think.
Freo have a few gun youngsters developing who in 3-5 years will make them hard to beat.
Adelaide going through rebuild - 2025 onwards should have the talent necessary to compete up the top end when the likes of GWS, Richmond, WC, Pies etc are coming down.

Fremantle will win a flag before either of the SA sides.

Fremantle are well into their rebuild, while Adelaide have just started their rebuild and Port Adelaide have yet to even start their rebuild.
Disagree.

Adelaide is looking at 6-10 years from now - Beginning of the rebuild. If we get it right. It could be mid 2020s.

Port Adelaide is looking at 8-12 years from now - 2020 was their last shot. Their older players are about to hit that cliff, and their youth isnt consistent enough. Their youth is certainly good enough, but it isnt there yet, and by the time it is. The list profile is shot and they're at the bottom clawing their way back. Port's probably a better chance at winning the flag when their window reopens. As the Crows would have to hit everything perfect. But the Crows will reach the window sooner, if you know what I mean.

Fremantle though? 10+ years - You didnt bottom out hard enough. Youll be a 6-10 team with this team. Unless Fyfe and Walters play lights out for an entire season, you wont be any better for the next 4 years. Youll have to go through another rebuild and actually get a team who can take you to the top.

All 3 clubs are in a bad position. But Adelaide's in the best point in their cycle to get back there sooner.

showemhowtorock

Cancelled
Jun 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Disagree.

Adelaide is looking at 6-10 years from now - Beginning of the rebuild. If we get it right. It could be mid 2020s.

Port Adelaide is looking at 8-12 years from now - 2020 was their last shot. Their older players are about to hit that cliff, and their youth isnt consistent enough. Their youth is certainly good enough, but it isnt there yet, and by the time it is. The list profile is shot and they're at the bottom clawing their way back. Port's probably a better chance at winning the flag when their window reopens. As the Crows would have to hit everything perfect. But the Crows will reach the window sooner, if you know what I mean.

Fremantle though? 10+ years - You didnt bottom out hard enough. Youll be a 6-10 team with this team. Unless Fyfe and Walters play lights out for an entire season, you wont be any better for the next 4 years. Youll have to go through another rebuild and actually get a team who can take you to the top.

All 3 clubs are in a bad position. But Adelaide's in the best point in their cycle to get back there sooner.
wtf are you well lad?

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Disagree.

Haha I admire the cope.

'We're the best because we're the worst'

Sep 16, 2015
Inside 50
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers
Disagree.

oh dear...

w7mkz6L.gif

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Disagree.

Interesting opinion.....

Looking at the crows....

Backline: Daniel Talia is a free Agent this time next season. He will be 30 years old too. I see him going to Collingwood or Geelong or saints or dogs on $700,000 a year on a 2-3 year deal. You see him staying for a crows rebuild? Your teams main priority will be getting games into tall defenders in Jordan Butts and Fischer McAsey. Both are 197-198cm tall defenders and one is expected to fill Kyle Hartigans spot at CHB. Tom DoeDee is 188cm, I thought he was 192 cm to be honest but he could play CHB while Butts and McAsey rotate at FB in 2022 when Talia is gone. Hell Seedsman is also 190cm as well. Crows do have some experienced small-medium sized defenders in Luke Brown, Rory Laird and Broadie Smith.

Funny thing is when crows won their games, Smith and Laird played in the midfield.

Midfield: Speaking of crows mids. Sloane is the best midfielder in the side but is on the wrong side of 30. David McKay is experienced too. Milera isnt too bad rotating on a forward Flank and on a wing. Saw him play at centrals before he got drafted. Still think he will be a 200 gamer. I dont think its the worst midfield in the comp but it would help developing an elite mid or 2.

Forward line: Well.... its interesting isnt it? Not exactly the great forward line the crows had from 2015-17. I think Taylor Walker should play a similar role like Pav Did in 2016, Just let him play games in the home state or every 2nd game if he is sore. Then rotate a younger kid. I found it funny about the media asking if the crows can play both fogarty and Walker in the forward line. yes you can. Tom Lynch has a role on a forward flank too.

I predicted if I had to choose between who was going to be a decent small forward between Shane McAdam and tyson stengle, McAdam is likely to be the most likely one and I was correct.

Crows will get a key forward in this draft if its Riley tilthorpe or someone else. For now Crows have to hope either Himmelberg or Frampton can kick 25-30 goals at FF in 2021. Shane McAdam can easily kick 25-35 goals too.

Then you got other mids kicking 10-15, possibly 20 goals each.

Lip Gallagher

Club Legend
Nov 11, 2020
AFL Club
Collingwood
This is a great question, i thank you for asking it, it's the last thing i think about going to sleep and the first thing i think about when i wake up.

Answer? I really.couldn't give a *.

queensberryrules

Club Legend
Aug 16, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Is this per chance the only way Freo can win a poll, cherry picked opponents?

Yes, it is.
Congratulations.

"Kicking goals in finals matters" D Martin.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Port and Freo didn't tank hard enough

So Adelaide.
Defined tanking?

Freo went 0-10 in 2016 and finished 16th with a 4-18 record and got pick 3 and traded that for Cam McCarthy, Pick 8 in Griffen Logue, Pick 32 in sean darcy and pick 72 in Luke Ryan.

Went 14th in 2017 positing 8 wins and 14 defeats and got pick 5. Could of got bottom 4 had 15th placed North beat us once and would of switched spots with freo. Used pick 5 on Adam Cerra and some how got pick 2 for Lachie Weller and used that for Brayshaw.

Definately tanked in 2018, well the last 2 games of the season anyway. Smashed by Geelong in Geelong and lost narrowly at home to colingwood in which freo should of won. Got 14th again with 8 wins and 14 defeats. originally got pick 5 but was pushed back to pick 6. Traded pick 6 and 3rd rounder to port and got picks 11, 23, 31 and 49.

As for 2019, pushed for a finals spot, ended up with 13th. Somehow ended up with picks 7, 8 and 9 on draft night to use on Hayden Young, Caleb Serong and Liam Henry.

Your team had pride. Historically avoided bottom 4 like a plague and rightfully so. Not even including the 1997-8 flags, your team has had 4-5 coaches that have guided your team to a prelim final.

Jack_1870

Premium Gold
Oct 21, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies
Disagree.

LOL, Clueless.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Well, Ross is gone. Would have said Port before (and still will) but Freo now back in the picture. Then a long way back to the Crows, whose list is headed for the cliff.

On LG-K500 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Funny how people say Freo are a chance now because Ross Lyon us gone LoL

Back