Who's closer to a flag? Adelaide, Port Adelaide or Fremantle?

Who wins their next flag before the others?

• Total voters

Go the Guts

Premiership Player
Apr 2, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Mighty Double Blues
Disagree.

Adelaide is looking at 6-10 years from now - Beginning of the rebuild. If we get it right. It could be mid 2020s.

Port Adelaide is looking at 8-12 years from now - 2020 was their last shot. Their older players are about to hit that cliff, and their youth isnt consistent enough. Their youth is certainly good enough, but it isnt there yet, and by the time it is. The list profile is shot and they're at the bottom clawing their way back. Port's probably a better chance at winning the flag when their window reopens. As the Crows would have to hit everything perfect. But the Crows will reach the window sooner, if you know what I mean.

Fremantle though? 10+ years - You didnt bottom out hard enough. Youll be a 6-10 team with this team. Unless Fyfe and Walters play lights out for an entire season, you wont be any better for the next 4 years. Youll have to go through another rebuild and actually get a team who can take you to the top.

All 3 clubs are in a bad position. But Adelaide's in the best point in their cycle to get back there sooner.

Well having just missed out on a GF buy a kick, and with Rozee, Duursma Butters et al, wharfie supporters are convinced they are a shoe-in for not only a flag, but a dynasty.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Koala Light vs Dark Charity Match Gumbies FFC - Sweet F.A.
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Don't see any of them winning flags within the next 37 years.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
Only 5 clubs haven't won a premiership in the last 37 years. And especially GWS and GC haven't been around all that long. So a big call to predict 3 clubs to not do so in the next 37 years.
Pretty easy call to make with a tongue firmly in your cheek.

That said, 5 teams haven't won in the last 37 years. I said 3 won't in the next 37. Seems just as likely if not more. Not really a big call.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
That said, 5 teams haven't won in the last 37 years. I said 3 won't in the next 37. Seems just as likely if not more. Not really a big call.
I stated a historical fact.

Naming 3 teams to not win a premeirship in the next 37 years is a very big call...

With all clubs being equal the mathematical chance for this to happen is around 0,1%. ((17/18)^37)^3

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
I stated a historical fact.

Naming 3 teams to not win a premeirship in the next 37 years is a very big call...

With all clubs being equal the mathematical chance for this to happen is around 0,1%. ((17/18)^37)^3
Yeah not arguing that, again, my original post was a joke. I'm just saying (and I'm not mathematician) wouldn't 3/18 teams not winning in 37 years (with all teams equal) be more likely than the 5/16 in the 37 years previous? I might be wrong, and I'll accept that if I am, I just don't see it as THAT big of a call considering 5 didn't win one the previous 37 years.

You're saying its a big call, I'm saying it basically already happened the last 37 years so it's entirely possible. (If I'm serious I think all 3 teams will win one in the next 37)

But again, it was a joke (purely to link it to Richmond because I'm a flog. 37 yrs = our drought). Relax mathman.

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
but the teams aren't equal though are they? So how does that affect the maths?

Serious question by the way. Not trolling.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
You're saying its a big call, I'm saying it basically already happened the last 37 years so it's entirely possible.
When you say 3 teams won't win its probably likely. But you said Adelaide, Port and Freo won't win one, big difference to 3 random teams.

but the teams aren't equal though are they? So how does that affect the maths?
Well, you would need to make a modell to simulate inequality for all those future years. Being able to do that with some accuracy probably would earn me big money in betting or stock exchange...

Genghis Tron

HBF
Apr 6, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Void
big difference to 3 random teams.
Fair enough, that makes sense. I had forgotten my own original parameters and just defaulted to 3 random. 3 random not winning a flag in 37 would be more likely than 5 not in 37 though yeah? Or am I reallllly stupid?

Being able to do that with some accuracy probably would earn me big money in betting or stock exchange...
Get cracking then. I'll fund it. We'll be millionaires come next year.

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Port Adelaide.
They have a healthy mix of veterans/youth in their squad.
Whoever suggested they're furthest away because they haven't started their rebuild yet is ridiculous.

It's like how in 2015 we were behind Carlton and Essendon in terms of winning a flag because we hadn't started our rebuild.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Port Adelaide.
They have a healthy mix of veterans/youth in their squad.
Whoever suggested they're furthest away because they haven't started their rebuild yet is ridiculous.

It's like how in 2015 we were behind Carlton and Essendon in terms of winning a flag because we hadn't started our rebuild.
As always I have no idea who is going to win a flag but...

Compare the ages of key players for Tigers 2015 and Port 2020 and you will see why some think Port need to do it soon.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
Well having just missed out on a GF buy a kick, and with Rozee, Duursma Butters et al, wharfie supporters are convinced they are a shoe-in for not only a flag, but a dynasty.
I originally voted the crows when i voted and I will stick with that crazy prediction.

After seeing what recruited in this recent national draft, I see some hope for the crows.

Riley Thilthorpe was definitely a player the crows needed.

I'm a south Adelaide fan in the SANFL and I have posted on the crows board they got a good kid in Brayden cook.

Not a bad bunch of locals coming through 👌

I originally voted the crows when i voted and I will stick with that crazy prediction.

After seeing what recruited in this recent national draft, I see some hope for the crows.

Riley Thilthorpe was definitely a player the crows needed.

I'm a south Adelaide fan in the SANFL and I have posted on the crows board they got a good kid in Brayden cook.

Not a bad bunch of locals coming through 👌

We are assembling a good young squad, but we are easily the furthest away from a flag of these 3 teams.

Freo are a couple of years ahead in rebuild, whilst Port are in the premiership window.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty obvious atm. Port in the mix currently. Freo in a few years hopefully. Adelaide wait and see how their rebuilt works.

Having said that a lot can go right or wrong. No flag for granted. Perhaps Adelaide will be the closest and win one 3 rebuilts into the future...

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Port and Freo didn't tank hard enough

So Adelaide.
Stupid post.

Carlton of 2005-7 and Demons of 2007-9 proves that tanking doesnt hand out certain success.

Carlton used pick 1 in 2005 to get Mark Murphy. Pick 1 in 2006 for Bryce Gibbs and Pick 1 in 2007 for Matt Kreuzer. None of them ended up iwth AA shirts or brownlow medals or Premiership medals.

Melbourne used pick 4 in 2007 to get Cale Morton. Demons then used pick 1 in 2008 to get jack watts. In 2009 the demons had picks 1 and 2. They used them on tom scully and Jack trengrove. Dustin Martin was pick 3.

So essentially, you can have as many 1st rounders as you want, if you dont nail them or choose wisely, it doesnt mean any improvement for the club

tonygeeks

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 11, 2016
AFL Club
Fremantle
All 3 clubs should have quite a lot of success in the near future with the new AFL sanctioned “ just a kid being honest “ draft rules

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
We are assembling a good young squad, but we are easily the furthest away from a flag of these 3 teams.

Freo are a couple of years ahead in rebuild, whilst Port are in the premiership window.
Crows are probably on by analysis the furthest away from the 3 clubs. Sure port are infront now but they are not certain to win a flag under their current team.

You can debate Freo are a chance to make finals in 2021 or still be 1 or possibly 2 seasons away from making finals.

Me personally want Freo to have a 2-4 year of finals before all of Walters, Fyfe, Wilson, Conca, Hamling, Taberner and Lobb retire as they are all 27 years old or over.

Crows were smart getting SANFL teenagers. Tough calls will bemade on Lynch, Walker and Talia at the ned of 2021

Back