Who's closer to their next premiership: Carlton or Freo?

Is Carlton or Freo closer to their next flag?

• Carlton

Votes: 102 33.7%
  • Freo

Votes: 169 55.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 32 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo have ended up with pixks 3,7,8 and 9 from the 2019 draft.
Some haul.

The big unknown is whether Jackson can make it as a key fwd.

If he ends up as just a serviceable second ruxkman then they have paid way overs.
You can add Fredrick to 2019 draft haul
I think Jackson will surprise a few this year.
2016 our first year of rebuild
Brodie Darcy Cox Ryan has served us well.

Blues started 2015 and killed it.
Weitering McKay curnow sos
But misses (SPS,Dow,Obrien)in 16 and 17 have really hurt their midfield depth.

Blues need absolutely everything to go right for them to win the flag.
All players injury free and at peak

Freo as shown last year have a heaps better squad, one of the youngest and least experienced in 2022 with no captain no leading goalkicker lots of covid interruptions and make week 2 of finals.

You can add Fredrick to 2019 draft haul
I think Jackson will surprise a few this year.
2016 our first year of rebuild
Brodie Darcy Cox Ryan has served us well.

Blues started 2015 and killed it.
Weitering McKay curnow sos
But misses (SPS,Dow,Obrien)in 16 and 17 have really hurt their midfield depth.

Blues need absolutely everything to go right for them to win the flag.
All players injury free and at peak

Freo as shown last year have a heaps better squad, one of the youngest and least experienced in 2022 with no captain no leading goalkicker lots of covid interruptions and make week 2 of finals.

Wouldn't say heaps better list, but yeah no doubt you have the better midfield.if Carlton don't win the flag this season (which we won't, I am a realist) would love Freo to go all the way.

Wouldn't say heaps better list, but yeah no doubt you have the better midfield.if Carlton don't win the flag this season (which we won't, I am a realist) would love Freo to go all the way.
Vehemently disagree with this. Half forwards and rucks definitely but I think we have them covered in most other areas after their off season departures with Logue and Acres.

Vehemently disagree with this. Half forwards and rucks definitely but I think we have them covered in most other areas after their off season departures with Logue and Acres.
Wait to you see Johnson Erasmus light it up and the Fyfe and JOM with the lure of a flag.
JOM got 30d and a goal playing infront of his family last year and didn’t play full time mid because Sam wanted to blood the youngsters.
Also Brodie is doing his first full preseason with the anchors full beast mode with clearances in the club scratchies so far.
Dockers Defence Also conceded 34 goals less in 2022

Last edited:
Wait to you see Johnson Erasmus light it up and the Fyfe and JOM with the lure of a flag.
JOM got 30d and a goal playing infront of his family last year and didn’t play full time mid because Sam wanted to blood the youngsters.
Also Brodie is doing his first full preseason with the anchors full beast mode with clearances in the club scratchies so far.
Dockers Defence Also conceded 34 goals less in 2022
Think you're overcompensating here. Let the players take care of it.

We are a bit weird like that

Lost Neale …. Got better

Lost Hogan …. Got better

Lost Hill … Got better

Lost Langdon … Got better

Lost Cerra …. Wait for it …. Yep got better

Think you're overcompensating here. Let the players take care of it.
Believe! if you don’t it will never happen.
You can keep looking at your half empty glass.
I said we will finish 5th in 2022, AB will star and serong is the second coming of diesel. Laughed at by oppo told to calm down by my own.
We finished 5th AB was MVP and serong at 21 has two bogs out of two finals.
I’m not degrading other teams.
I’m not saying we will win the next 3 premierships in a canter.
I just believe we have a special group of players that not only have talent but have the mentality.
Positive energy produces positive results!

We are a bit weird like that

Lost Neale …. Got better

Lost Hogan …. Got better

Lost Hill … Got better

Lost Langdon … Got better

Lost Cerra …. Wait for it …. Yep got better
While oddly true, both times our midfields played at full strength this year yours copped an absolute spanking. The rest of the ground was a different story in either game but statistically your midfield was poor and beaten up by many of the best midfields in the league.

Doubt JOM helps much given his impact is fairly minimal these days. Jackson and perhaps the emergence of Johnson who I rate very highly from his draft year will push you to the next level but right now comfortably behind I'd say 4-5 midfields across the comp.

Believe! if you don’t it will never happen.
You can keep looking at your half empty glass.
I said we will finish 5th in 2022, AB will star and serong is the second coming of diesel. Laughed at by oppo told to calm down by my own.
We finished 5th AB was MVP and serong at 21 has two bogs out of two finals.
I’m not degrading other teams.
I’m not saying we will win the next 3 premierships in a canter.
I just believe we have a special group of players that not only have talent but have the mentality.
Positive energy produces positive results!
I'm fairly sure my belief has nothing to do with the team performance actually.

I think you can make an argument for a better year than before on the basis of team performance. To single out multiple players to become guns is quite another thing.

Positive energy is great, but the team isn't getting it from reading bigfooty and if they are we are doomed.

I'm fairly sure my belief has nothing to do with the team performance actually.

I think you can make an argument for a better year than before on the basis of team performance. To single out multiple players to become guns is quite another thing.

Positive energy is great, but the team isn't getting it from reading bigfooty and if they are we are doomed.
My words are a by product of my energy.
All religions were created to try and explain energy.
If you think writing on bigfooty is energy you fail to comprehend.
Why do you think hawks have won so many flags and saints have won 1.
There’s no such thing as luck.
I believe in Johnson and Erasmus
I had no belief in Dardy and hogan before they step foot in our door.
If we all had your energy we won’t win a flag for another 30 years.
I write a lot of stuff on bf out of hope or want that’s irrelevant to belief.

Love it mate

(Log in to remove this ad.)

50/50 at this stage, I wouldn't be surprised if Freo wins their first flag before Carlton wins their 17th but i wouldn't be surprised if Carlton win their 17th before Freo win their first

I think we are a long way apart here. Good luck to you.

Not sure any AFL club would be worse off losing those 2 players.
Logue and Acres while in the past were spuds, greatly improved last season and were integral players in Freo's team and a big reason they improved as much as they did. Logue especially was crucial in shutting down some quality oppo forwards and providing a marking option when needed up forward while Taberner was out. Acres also had a great year but is more easily replacable by youngsters like NoD

Logue and Acres while in the past were spuds, greatly improved last season and were integral players in Freo's team and a big reason they improved as much as they did. Logue especially was crucial in shutting down some quality oppo forwards and providing a marking option when needed up forward while Taberner was out. Acres also had a great year but is more easily replacable by youngsters like NoD
Acres best was great this year but we only got it about 7 times. He was in AA form for about 5 games before injuring himself. When he came back, he didn't really find the form again until the Pies final.

Logue was great on Cameron and Curnow the first time. He didn't have any other notable defensive performances I remember. He made a lot of contests up forward but lets not pretend he was dominating. He kicked about 5 goals all season.

So while we'd rather have them then not (obviously not at the prices they got elsewhere), I think you are stretching it a bit to say they are a "big reason". I think its fairly obvious that we have an even spread and nobody really stands out (apart from Brayshaw).

Logue has hit his ceiling. He will be a very useful lock down defender at North but we were playing him forward by virtue of having seven better defensive options on team balance. He is probably the best match up in the AFL for Curnow and J Cameron but he’s not pushing into our generally established back 7 without someone being injured. As a forward Fyfe or Treacy replaces his role next season and does it better. Long-term we have actual forwards such as Corbett and Treacy to establish themselves.

Acres’ wing role can be replaced by Henry, Aish, Erasmus, Johnson, Worner or Wagner. The game plan and his on field discipline allowed him to play to his strengths last year. His highlights looked great but anyone who can gut run and hold width can and will cover his output.

Freo have their back six and rucks sorted, and a starting midfield that is damaging with the ball and accountable without it. Their forward line is pretty impotent though, I'm not sure Tabener, Treacy or Corbett are up to it (Tab more of a resilience issue than lack of talent). If they can somehow sort out their scoring woes and find another zippy, manic tackling machine to complement Fyfe, Amiss and Frederick they could do some real damage in the next few years.

Having said that the Blues seem closer as they really only need a decent ruckman (amazed they didn't chase Meek tbh) + get uninterrupted seasons from two of: Marchbank, Weitering and McGovern. I also think Zac Williams can have a real impact this season- he may not be the full time mid they had in mind when they recruited him but (when fit) he'll give them so much drive off half back and is an above average clearance winner pinch hitting at stoppages. If Voss can sort out their two way running (of which Williams has admittedly been a culprit) they are a top four lock imo.

Back