Prediction Who's going to take the next step in 2017?

Who's going to take the next step in 2017?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
Every year there are a few Saints who take a big step up, and that makes a huge impact on how well we go that year.

This year I'd say that's:

Hickey - at 25, after 41 games, 6 preseasons
Ross - at 22, after 37 games, 5 preseasons
Membrey - at 21, after 13 games, 4 preseasons
Gresham - at 18, after 0 games, 1 preseason

Last year it was:

Savage - at 24, after 70 games, 7 preseasons
Roberton - at 23, after 64 games, 6 preseasons
Newnes - at 22, after 47 games, 4 preseasons
Bruce - at 22, after 24 games, 4 preseasons

Generally I reckon it's players who are 22+, have played 40+ games and had 4+ preseasons. So that might be something to consider when voting in the poll.

(Numbers of preseasons don't take into account if they had long-term injuries because I'm not that good.)

bergholt

Good Ordinary Player
Mar 14, 2007
Brunswick
AFL Club
St Kilda
My thoughts are: Billings definitely. Webster can be better than he has been so hopefully. Dunstan I think is just around the corner.

Others, I reckon are still a year or so away. Or else (like Murdoch etc) I don't think they're ever going to get there.

saintbill

Premiership Player
Apr 9, 2014
AFL Club
St Kilda
Every year there are a few Saints who take a big step up, and that makes a huge impact on how well we go that year.

This year I'd say that's:

Hickey - at 25, after 41 games, 6 preseasons
Ross - at 22, after 37 games, 5 preseasons
Membrey - at 21, after 13 games, 4 preseasons
Gresham - at 18, after 0 games, 1 preseason

Last year it was:

Savage - at 24, after 70 games, 7 preseasons
Roberton - at 23, after 64 games, 6 preseasons
Newnes - at 22, after 47 games, 4 preseasons
Bruce - at 22, after 24 games, 4 preseasons

Generally I reckon it's players who are 22+, have played 40+ games and had 4+ preseasons. So that might be something to consider when voting in the poll.

(Numbers of preseasons don't take into account if they had long-term injuries because I'm not that good.)

Good thread. I am backing McCartin in, been a bit stiff this year with the ongoing concussions. He is on the cusp of ripping games up. Its optimistic, but a 50 goal season is not beyond him next year if he stays on the park.

Dunstan and Webster immediately spring to mind. Best 22 regulars for a couple seasons before exploding. Reminds me a little of Ross and to a lesser extent Newnes.

I'm not sure about Billings. I love him and want him to become a Saints great like we all thought he'd be. I keep having second thoughts though.

Paddy.
Another preseason in the tank.
Who knows maybe even a helmet on the bonce and LOOK OUT!!!!!!!!!
The kid is gonna take some serious pack marks.
Between big Jake and Paddy its gonna be like watching a Stewie Loewe highlight package.
IM EXCITED LIKE A MOFO ABOUT 2017:)

Armoooo

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
We would really like to see a few big improvers from the following group:

Dunstan, Acres, Lonie Billings, Longer, Webster, Goddard, McCartin and Sinclair

If we can have three or four of those step up like Membrey, Hickey, Ross and Mav have this year then we really should make finals.

My feeling at the moment is that these are the blokes with the scope to make the biggest steps next year:

1 - Billings
2 - McCartin
3 - Webster

mad-saint-guy

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2005
Toronto, ON
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm hoping like hell it's Billings. Hoping he can get his mind and body to a point where he can be much more aggressive and competitive while using his lethal boot to inflict damage. Also need to see some serious improvement from Dunstan because right now he's playing at the same level as when he first came to the club. I'm think Acres will continue the slow burn improvement before really putting it all together in another 2-3 years.

freebloke

Cancelled
Apr 8, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Basically voted for 2013 draft + sinclair and Freeman as well.

4-5 pre seasons is good amount of time. Others I am thinking are still some way behind.

Be nice for all of us if its Freeman.
Another skilled strong bodied mid ready to go next year would a huge bonus:thumbsu:
Agree.

With those hammies of his, if he can take any steps (big, small, next, running etc) it will be an absolute bonus :cool:

JG22

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 12, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
Don't think McCartin will have a huge year but can see him kicking 35 goals or so.

Gresham should look to push up into the midfield alongside Billings and they should be averaging close to 25 touches a game.

I'll go a bit of a smoky and say Blacres. He's shown flashes this year that he really could be anything given the combination of size and skills.
Yeah he still seems just slightly off the pace of the game .
If his vision and disposal awareness keep improving then he could be a seriously good player for us.
Hes a real interesting one to watch next yr i reckon :thumbsu:

Back