Rumour Who's going to the GC?

Remove this Banner Ad

But the Gold Coast is claiming multiple ones! It doesn't make sense damn it!

Besides, think of the marketing potential as "The Gold Coast Sun"!

Nah, the Gold Coast just exaggerates everything.

Tht Gold Coast Sun sounds like a newspaper.

I just heard the song:eek::eek: ....no way would I go !!!!!:D

Elivis, ..I'm not sure about Dugongs...but Sharks would have been great. I am surprised that hasn't been used by anyone ...Jaws music and fins on heads ...could have been hilarious!;)

I'm up there 3-4 times a year mate; got family in Brissie.

Love the place, but 'The Suns' is a s**t name.

What's wrong with

Sharks
StingRays
Marlins
Dugongs

Yeah, whilst I don't mind the Suns, I really like the Sharks or Marlins, and don't understand why they weren't used.

I can't understand why their official mascot isn't a Gold Coast Meter Maid. Love those gold lame' bikinis!:thumbsu:

Suns is OK, but if they lose often you can bet they're be headlines such as "Cloudy Future", "Sun Setting" etc Also bit hard to yell out Go You Suns !
Not that I'll be doing that !
I understand they were put off using Sharks, cause Greg Norman has the rights to using this on clothing and equipment etc

Suns is OK, but if they lose often you can bet they're be headlines such as "Cloudy Future", "Sun Setting" etc Also bit hard to yell out Go You Suns !
I understand they were put off using Sharks, cause Greg Norman has the rights to using this on clothing and equipment etc

That can't be true...can it ?

Norman can't patent a 'SHARK" ...can he ?

I think their club song is passable however the guernseys are pretty poor. The home one looks more like a training jumper and the wave design on the others is wishy-washy.

What annoys me though is that they had to pick red, blue and yellow as their colours. Surely there are more alternative colours out there especially with Brisbane being sort of similar as well as us.

I'm up there 3-4 times a year mate; got family in Brissie.

Love the place, but 'The Suns' is a s**t name.

What's wrong with

Sharks
StingRays
Marlins
Dugongs

If they went with the name Stingrays it might have sparked some unwanted publicity with what happened to Steve Irwin.
I like the Sharks suggestion and the Marlins but I think there's an American sporting team with the same name. It'll be interesting to see if the NBA or the Phoenix Suns take action over the breach of copyrights laws.
If wasn't for the nick name already being used by a rugby team I would have went with the Gold Coast Raiders. It suits them better with what their doing to all the current AFL teams.

I would love it if GWS took an uncontracted player from Gold Coast. Some Gold Coast's current players contracts might expire at the end of next season.

No, I think its got something to do with their relationship with the Southport Sharks and how they want to encorporate the entire Gold Coast and not just be seen as an extension of the Southport Footy club, similar to the situation with Port Adelaide. There are three QAFL level clubs on the Gold Coast (Southport, Broadbeach and Labrador) and I don't think they wanted to alienate Broadbeach and Labrador. We've seen the trouble Port have had in this regard and they're in a football mad market, up on the Gold Coast, Football needs to band together.

Don't know why the Marlin's or Stingrays couldn't be used, I quite like those names, the Suns to me just sounds a little cheesy.

I think their club song is passable however the guernseys are pretty poor. The home one looks more like a training jumper and the wave design on the others is wishy-washy.

What annoys me though is that they had to pick red, blue and yellow as their colours. Surely there are more alternative colours out there especially with Brisbane being sort of similar as well as us.

Have to disagree there CG. I really like the jumpers they've got, they're simple, yet very striking, bold and distinctive. As for the colours, as much as they've got the same colours as Adelaide and Brisbane, they use them in a vastly different way to us. Our base is very much the Navy blue, theirs is red. They don't even use the same blue, they use a much lighter blue and in fact it hardly features at all. For all intents and purposes they're colours may as well be Red and Yellow. In fact, I really don't think(barring the clash guernsey) they resemble anything like us, or Brisbane for that matter. Quite frankly, I think its a little precious to be complaining about the colours.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He can certainly patent the use of sharks on clothing and other assorted accessories.

As I understand it, they got some advice that there would be potential trademarking issues with existing Greg Norman trademarks, and decided it wasn't something they wanted to explore further.

This gives me the shits as well. Surely the red & yellow, which are their predominant colours would have sufficed?

I still think my original suggestion they be called the Gold Coast Skin Cancers/Melanoma is the best choice.

Their logo can be a scalpel.

Their mascot can be one of the meter maids.

Get those kids into footy, a free sun bed session for every toddler membership, get them early.

Their song:

We're the Gold Coast Cancers
We're unwanted
We're disliked
But we'll stick it out and fight
Through all the cuts
Through all the Chemo
We'll spread with all our might
We're the Gold Coast Cancers

GO CANCER

A good old nice healthy tan :rolleyes:

Unless Bocky has made his decision in the last 2 weeks, I don't know how true that is. But, you never know. Who'd you get the text from?

Can't really give specifics, but from someone "within" (not the Crows). Like I said, not sure how accurate it is, but will be interesting to see.

I really hope he hasn't. :(

BACCS!!

Get on to your source and tell him to find the hell out what's goin' on.

If Bock's Going, I'd rather see Phil Davis in the side instead. No room in any side for players who in their heads are already surfing, earning shitloads of money, and perving on all the bikini clad babes.....Who'd play for the bloody Gold Coast and have to endure those kind of living conditions?? Sheesh!

Guys just too clear this up they wearn't aloud to use Sharks because that is the Southport Sharks name and GC didn't want the same one and they wearn't aloud to use Stinrays because the Gold Coast Stingrays is already an acedemy on the Gold Coast for Under 14's, 16's and 18's!

Marlins and Dugongs would have been ok but I would take Suns over Dugongs every day of the week. Marlins I think I would have liked better but Suns is already growing on me and in 2 years time nobody will care about the name. Do you hear this much topic on other names that people didn't like, like Power and Dockers? It will die out soon!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back