Prediction Who's in for a big 2017?

Who will have a massive 2017?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Clubber Lang for me to get more games and show his wares on a consistent basis. From the limited appearances I've seen he has shown poise and skill with well rounded stats.... Gonna be hard for him to break into the midfield fulltime but should be in the mix of fwd/mid rotations.

Totally agree , I think Lang has got all the attributes to be a gun
Disturbingly he had a great preseason but failed to impress consistently in 2016
Let's hope it was second year blues - we really need him firing and finishing at his best

Totally agree , I think Lang has got all the attributes to be a gun
Disturbingly he had a great preseason but failed to impress consistently in 2016
Let's hope it was second year blues - we really need him firing and finishing at his best

2016 was his third year :/ but reckon he'll improve a lot in 2017 especially if played in middle on wing.

Got absolutely pantsed by Polkinghorne in the one VFL game I saw this season.
But he also beat Eddie Betts twice which says to me that Jeds issues are all mental... If the assistant coaches can get that part right, he will end up a mainstay in our back 6 IMO.

Interesting question (for me anyway) - what will be a pass mark for Danger in 2017?
Im hoping we play him forward 50 more this year ( maybe 30-40 % of time hes on the ground ) to force more responsibilty on the duncan and guthrie types... So 40+ goals as well as 25 touches should be a minimum for a star like Danger.

Im hoping we play him forward 50 more this year ( maybe 30-40 % of time hes on the ground ) to force more responsibilty on the duncan and guthrie types... So 40+ goals as well as 25 touches should be a minimum for a star like Danger.
He is not GAJ in front of goal though, and he is an amazing clearance machine, but agreed, the others need to step up, and aside from injury, your solution may be the way to prevent injury, AND, improve his goal kicking, AND get the others more accountable.

40+ goals would be phenomenal. Have a look at the stats of midfielders and see how many kick that many goals. Doesn't happen too often.

40+ goals would be phenomenal. Have a look at the stats of midfielders and see how many kick that many goals. Doesn't happen too often.
Fully aware mate, but I see Danger at the same level of Gaz jr in 2010 when he played a little more forward and he reached the 40 mark... It may not quite happen, but for us to be successful there is no point wallpapering over cracks and letting 'Dangerwood' carry the midfield. Its time for the other guys to step up as they are not kids anymore, plus our front half could do with a tune up of some sort.

Fully aware mate, but I see Danger at the same level of Gaz jr in 2010 when he played a little more forward and he reached the 40 mark... It may not quite happen, but for us to be successful there is no point wallpapering over cracks and letting 'Dangerwood' carry the midfield. Its time for the other guys to step up as they are not kids anymore, plus our front half could do with a tune up of some sort.
GAJ started as a small fwd, loves kicking goals, became the elite MF we know because he is a freakish talent.
From Danger's very first game with us, we have seen his weakness in front of goal- it's not his natural strength.
Not a fair comparison.

Its sort of a bit vague.. big year is relative from where they are and who they are. Motlop for instance in a big year should finish top 4 in the B&F , Cockatoo would be a good year in he played 22 games and had a couple of votes games. Cockatoo is probably the one we have the most hopes for based on talent.
We lack quality depth that can actually influence games. Its why I feel we almost a free win... someone who is off the radar and become a gun player for us... and Im unsure who that could even be. Do we have anyone capable of stepping into the best 50 in the league? Listening to discussion on the best midfields in the comp , we are a bit off the pace when one considers Dogs and GWS are deep and young.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GAJ started as a small fwd, loves kicking goals, became the elite MF we know because he is a freakish talent.
From Danger's very first game with us, we have seen his weakness in front of goal- it's not his natural strength.
Not a fair comparison.

I think the chink shows itself there but his disposal in general is less than GA. One of the best Danger games was when he hit the ball soft onto Hawkins chest a couple of times ... too often he nobrains it long. If he must do it , id prefer him to go the extra distance ping at goal than just drop it on Toms head. Not too often the ball is not in a better spot after Ablett lets it go. If Danger could tidy up that part of his game.. he could be even better , which is a bit scary.

Yeah, but at the same time, the whole point of his recruitment was to improve the midfield and quite specifically clearances and contested possessions. Wouldn't make sense to then move him away from there, even in a part time capacity.

Its sort of a bit vague.. big year is relative from where they are and who they are. Motlop for instance in a big year should finish top 4 in the B&F , Cockatoo would be a good year in he played 22 games and had a couple of votes games. Cockatoo is probably the one we have the most hopes for based on talent.
We lack quality depth that can actually influence games. Its why I feel we almost a free win... someone who is off the radar and become a gun player for us... and Im unsure who that could even be. Do we have anyone capable of stepping into the best 50 in the league? Listening to discussion on the best midfields in the comp , we are a bit off the pace when one considers Dogs and GWS are deep and young.

Good question. Feel like we keep coming back to Guthrie/Duncan/Blitz having done slightly less than we hoped, but is that because they were overhyped in the first place, the development didn't come, or they had had setbacks we do or don't know about?

Agree with those who say Motlop is one place we will get improvement - the picture of him on the GFC site makes him look like he is having a serious crack. Of those mentioned, Cockatoo and McCarthy can be elite - McCarthy becaus of his vision, Cocky because of his pace and evasiveness. Menegola is a running machine and can change our midfield dynamic.

We need to find goals - McCarthy, Danger, Menz, and a good second tall all need to start banging a few more through. Having a good forward coach might help make that happen.

But notwithstanding the tendency to focus on the forwards and the mids, what we have missed most over the last few years (and what the teams who have beaten us have had) is a running, distributing half back. I like the suggestion above that Duncan could or should be that player: superb kick, composed, tough as a cat's head, right size.

Good question. Feel like we keep coming back to Guthrie/Duncan/Blitz having done slightly less than we hoped, but is that because they were overhyped in the first place, the development didn't come, or they had had setbacks we do or don't know about?

Agree with those who say Motlop is one place we will get improvement - the picture of him on the GFC site makes him look like he is having a serious crack. Of those mentioned, Cockatoo and McCarthy can be elite - McCarthy becaus of his vision, Cocky because of his pace and evasiveness. Menegola is a running machine and can change our midfield dynamic.

We need to find goals - McCarthy, Danger, Menz, and a good second tall all need to start banging a few more through. Having a good forward coach might help make that happen.

But notwithstanding the tendency to focus on the forwards and the mids, what we have missed most over the last few years (and what the teams who have beaten us have had) is a running, distributing half back. I like the suggestion above that Duncan could or should be that player: superb kick, composed, tough as a cat's head, right size.

On Guthrie/Duncan/Blitz ... perhaps we do over rate them because they appear to be the best of the newbies or we hope they become because at times they give one a glimpse of elite performance. I probably see them more as very good support acts , a bit like Kelly and Enright were most of the time...and are they as good as them? I honestly do not see a best 50 player on the verge of announcing himself this season. Motlop may bounce in his out of contract year ..and plenty rate his performances in games of less importance so perhaps he could get thats status.

Cockatoo and Linc..yes both of those but I doubt they could in 2017. Neither are ready yet.

I said a year or two ago that Duncan across the backline etc may be worth a try ... but I think now we have enough players for that role without trying to make him into a HB.

On Guthrie/Duncan/Blitz ... perhaps we do over rate them because they appear to be the best of the newbies or we hope they become because at times they give one a glimpse of elite performance. I probably see them more as very good support acts , a bit like Kelly and Enright were most of the time...and are they as good as them? I honestly do not see a best 50 player on the verge of announcing himself this season. Motlop may bounce in his out of contract year ..and plenty rate his performances in games of less importance so perhaps he could get thats status.

Cockatoo and Linc..yes both of those but I doubt they could in 2017. Neither are ready yet.

I said a year or two ago that Duncan across the backline etc may be worth a try ... but I think now we have enough players for that role without trying to make him into a HB.
Duncan has nice skills that would have complemented the backline. But suspect defensive running probably put a pin in that idea.

I always get your point. I'm just showing you that your point is illogical. Just giving you a helping hand is all.

No. Bews has exposed AFL form. Stewart does not. If Stewart performs in preseason or at VFL level he'll get his chance. Don't be thick please.

I think that we really need (among others things) a small oportunist forward to step up.
So I will nominate Lincoln McCarthy (at the risk of putting the mozz on him and he ends up snapping his Navicular in half). He showed glimpses last year, particularly in the third term against St.Kilda.

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2016-08-21/leaping-linc

http://www.geelongcats.com.au/video/2016-08-15/mark-of-the-year-lincoln-mccarthy

Just sat through the first few minutes until I seen Murdoch with the ball and turned it off
Did we win?

Back