Review Who's in worse shape? AFC or Cricket Australia?

Who's in worse shape?

• AFC

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Cricket Australia

Votes: 14 58.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DRS is not designed to predict swing.
Yes it most certainly is. DRS extrapolates the swing & seam, from the path the ball takes between when it pitches and when it impacts the pad. The only times when it doesn't is when the ball strikes the batsman on the full, or when the distance from pitch to impact is really short (e.g. a yorker).

They frequently show simulations to demonstrate how far the ball has deviated. They show the ball's original path, including spin/swing/seam, and the trajectory of a simulated ball pitching at the same point, without any spin/swing/seam (gravity still applies).

Besides which, the red line drawn on that image doesn't even pass through the centre of the ball, either on the pitch or at the point of impact. Anyone drawing conclusions from that red line is an idiot.

Last edited:

At least CA was some what better last night
Don't confuse the team's performance with CA's performance. The latter impacts on the former, but the two are not the same.

CA is still a disaster zone, and I present as evidence their latest plan for the JLT series, in which they have eliminated the "Cricket Australia XI" team. The CA XI is designed to fast track junior talent, whose career path is being blocked by older players at the state level (a problem which didn't exist before the era of professional full-time cricketers). Yet again, CA has found a way of stuffing up the development of their junior players.

Yes it most certainly is. DRS extrapolates the swing & seam, from the path the ball takes between when it pitches and when it impacts the pad. The only times when it doesn't is when the ball strikes the batsman on the full, or when the distance from pitch to impact is really short (e.g. a yorker).

They frequently show simulations to demonstrate how far the ball has deviated. They show the ball's original path, including spin/swing/seam, and the trajectory of a simulated ball pitching at the same point, without any spin/swing/seam (gravity still applies).

Besides which, the red line drawn on that image doesn't even pass through the centre of the ball, either on the pitch or at the point of impact. Anyone drawing conclusions from that red line is an idiot.
Oh Mr Vader...

It will not predict swing that isn't evident prior to impact. The blue line deviates to the right immediately after the point of impact - that's not swing. Further, when I drew that red line, I zoomed the pic in substantially. It runs from seam to seam. But you're missing the point (as usual) because what it does is highlight the deviation evident in the ball tracking following the point of impact.

Quite simply, it is impossible that the ball follows the path ball tracking says it will. 100% impossible.

Oh Mr Vader...

It will not predict swing that isn't evident prior to impact. The blue line deviates to the right immediately after the point of impact - that's not swing. Further, when I drew that red line, I zoomed the pic in substantially. It runs from seam to seam. But you're missing the point (as usual) because what it does is highlight the deviation evident in the ball tracking following the point of impact.

Quite simply, it is impossible that the ball follows the path ball tracking says it will. 100% impossible.
There is no deviation in the predicted path, from the point where the ball pitches, to where it impacts, to its predicted impact point at the stumps. It's one smooth curve, as you'd expect from DRS, which just extrapolates the ball's trajectory from pitch to impact.

Seam to seam is nice, but it's not really a good way of doing it. It would work perfectly if the ball stayed upright for the entire flight path, but in the real world the seam "wobbles" due to the ball rotating in mid air. As a result, a seam which can be on top of the ball when it pitches can be at the side of the ball at the point of impact.

Let me repeat. There. Is. No. Deviation.

There is no deviation in the predicted path, from the point where the ball pitches, to where it impacts, to its predicted impact point at the stumps. It's one smooth curve, as you'd expect from DRS, which just extrapolates the ball's trajectory from pitch to impact.

Let me repeat. There. Is. No. Deviation.
There most certainly is :)

We are.

At least the Aussie cricket team has acknowledged problems, rolled some heads and is now regrouping.

We haven't hit bottom yet.
I'd like to change the common vernacular of 'Hitting Rock Bottom' to 'Hitting Brett Burton'. I feel like most people would agree hitting rock bottom would be an improvement from hitting Brett Burton!

When you've reached acceptance that you wont be playing finals with 9 games to go and you're only 1 game back from the team currently in 8th... Then you know its pretty damn bad!

And thats coming from the guy who usually gives other people stick about the 'if we lose this match we cant make finals' comments.

There most certainly isn't. It's a smooth trajectory. :)
I understand it's a 2D image of a 3D scene, but it sure as hell looks to me as if the path after the impact (blue) deviates slightly from the pre-impact path (white), notwithstanding the slight drop in z axis.

DRS2.png

Happy to say it's just my eyes, but it stuck out for me enough to comment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I get that, but it's the immediate deviation following impact I noticed. Anyway, as I said above, happy to move on, it just caught my attention.

I think you could only draw that straight line if the camera was positioned down the path of the ball, so directly behind the bowler, not the stumps.

As the camera position is skewed relative to the x-y trajectory of the ball, it's not clear whether the deviation you've shown with the straight line is caused by x-deviation or natural z-deviation due to gravity

I think you could only draw that straight line if the camera was positioned down the path of the ball, so directly behind the bowler, not the stumps.

As the camera position is skewed relative to the x-y trajectory of the ball, it's not clear whether the deviation you've shown with the straight line is caused by x-deviation or natural z-deviation due to gravity
Yeah agree, but my initial impression was that it seemed too much to be z axis. Anyway Im sure it's just my brain misinterpreting the image :)

I understand it's a 2D image of a 3D scene, but it sure as hell looks to me as if the path after the impact (blue) deviates slightly from the pre-impact path (white), notwithstanding the slight drop in z axis.

View attachment 515986

Happy to say it's just my eyes, but it stuck out for me enough to comment.
If you have a look at the white path, you can see the swinging. DRS is just extrapolating and continuing that swing. If the ball was travelling in a straight line then it would have hit the stumps, but it's clearly swinging from left to right (when viewed from front on). It's a smooth arc, from white to blue, so I don't see any problem.

CA is still a disaster zone, and I present as evidence their latest plan for the JLT series, in which they have eliminated the "Cricket Australia XI" team. The CA XI is designed to fast track junior talent, whose career path is being blocked by older players at the state level (a problem which didn't exist before the era of professional full-time cricketers

They need to bring back ACT and look at starting an NT team

They need to bring back ACT and look at starting an NT team
They need to fix the Academy, which worked brilliantly in the 1990s - until they basically dismantled it. There's a reason why our team from the 2000s was so great - they all went through the best cricket finishing school in the world. Now, to all intents and purposes, the finishing school is non-existent, and the players coming through no longer have the technical skills to perform at the international level.

Its showing in the bowling attack we have over in England
It's even more apparent in our lack of batting talent.

The Marsh brothers would have barely made the WA shield team in the late 90s & early 200s. In the absence of Smith & Warner, Shaun is now Australia's best batsman. That's how far we've fallen. To reiterate, Australia's 3rd best batsman would have struggled to make the WA shield team of 10-15 years ago.

What then does that say for the rest of our batsmen, who are even worse?

I like Paine, but there is no way he should be in or captaining our ODI or T20 teams.

Carey is a far better short form keeper & Finch would be a better captain.

Paine should be sticking to Test matches.

IMO, the Crows will bounce back before the men's cricket side.

Back