Prediction Who's likely to be delisted/ traded?

Who's likely to be delisted or traded at the end of 2019?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I did write that on April 9 and Bolton wasn't getting a game as first year players were going past him so keep your pants on.
Spent last year injured, but improving. This is the report from last weeks VFL game.

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
17 disposals, six handball receives & three rebound-50s

“Playing off half-back, he looks like he’s a promising type with his left foot, and uses the ball really well, runs and carries. It wasn’t a great day for the run-and-carry, but his critical one-on-one wins stood out.”

Spent last year injured, but improving. This is the report from last weeks VFL game.

Derek Eggmolesse-Smith
17 disposals, six handball receives & three rebound-50s

“Playing off half-back, he looks like he’s a promising type with his left foot, and uses the ball really well, runs and carries. It wasn’t a great day for the run-and-carry, but his critical one-on-one wins stood out.”

don't think we will delist or trade Egg

Out: Butler, Weller.
Grigg (retirement).
Would be a saving of $800K?
Short must be considered too, but he is a back-up, in case Houli is injured.
The key priority is to develop/recruit a key position intercept defender.
Next year, Markov can go.
Chol too if he does not improve.
Short stays, houli will only be going around for another year tops and with the inclusion of stack, short replaces houli in our back six.
Id take short over menadue any day who is the other option

What’s the thinking behind trading short?
Not that I disagree with the idea but last year the club did a lot of work trying to get him to agree to a new contract
Wouldn’t we have traded him last year and not worked so hard to keep him if he was never in the long term plans of the club

My best guess at this juncture:

Grigg retires
Miller delisted and re-rookied
Chol delisted
Weller delisted
BEllis to go as a RFA
Callum Moore traded
Baker to be put on primary list.
Cant see Miller delisted as talls get a pass in their first years especially players regarded as project players. can see him get another 2 year contract.

Cant see Miller delisted as talls get a pass in their first years especially players regarded as project players. can see him get another 2 year contract.

To be honest, I hope so. I like Miller and his potential.

I’m just struggling to see who else we could to get rid off to create sufficient room for not just the new draftees but also guys like Baker to be upgraded to the main list.

To be honest, I hope so. I like Miller and his potential.

I’m just struggling to see who else we could to get rid off to create sufficient room for not just the new draftees but also guys like Baker to be upgraded to the main list.
Don't forget that upgrades can count towards your 3 pics in the draft.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Balta, CCJ and to a lesser extent Millers Development surely this is soldos last year with us

Not so sure. Most clubs have a mature or exposed relief ruck. All the Tiger talls are fit and firing at present so it is easy to look and say this guy or that guy is surplus to needs...what if Nankervis gets injured and say CCJ played a couple of AFL matches and got pushed around a bit? Soldo doesn't look like becoming the next Grundy but on a modest contract and clearly prepared to hang around and play the back up role, and no signs that he is troublesome, I wouldn't be moving Soldo on this year.

2019: Butler, Grigg, Weller.
2020: Chol, Markov, ...
It's not a disrespect to Butler but with Baker, Bolton, Ross and Stack it is difficult to regain selection.
Ellis and Web-Kam have struck good form which makes it difficult for Markov.
Recruit a key position intercept defender.
Rance is ageing and it is too much sole burden for Grimes, week-in week-out.
If he and/or Vlaustin sustain injury we are done in finals.

2019: Butler, Grigg, Weller.
2020: Chol, Markov, ...
It's not a disrespect to Butler but with Baker, Bolton, Ross and Stack it is difficult to regain selection.
Ellis and Web-Kam have struck good form which makes it difficult for Markov.
Recruit a key position intercept defender.
Rance is ageing and it is too much sole burden for Grimes, week-in week-out.
If he and/or Vlaustin sustain injury we are done in finals.
J Marsh got picked in the saints side this week. Lets see how he goes.

With Balta, CCJ and to a lesser extent Millers Development surely this is soldos last year with us
Yer that’s a tough one I don’t reckon Soldo is good enough to make it at AFL level but to be fair to the bloke he continues to improve at VFL level.
A case could be made to retain him because of that improvement and the amount of time we’ve put into him. But if there’s an upgrade (at little or no cost) then do it.
The other thing is CJ needs more development in the ruck role at VFL level currently he’s playing predominantly as a kpf

Far too early for this type of thread. However based on what we have seen so far this year and on the last 2 years I would predict:

Delisted:
Townsend - possibly re-rookied but I doubt it
One of Markov/Menadue
Chol - doubt he'll make it now
Egg Smith (is he even on the list?)

Traded
Butler/Bolton (only to WA)

Others
Assuming Grigg comes back from injury he'll probably go for one more year. A fit Grigg will play on a wing in front of Macca and BEllis.
Doubt BEllis will leave on FA unless he isn't in the senior team come finals time (assuming we make it).
Houli gets one more based on current form
Soldo - only stays due to lack of ruck back up. If CCJ comes on in leaps and bounds, he is in danger.
Weller - would want to get more game time in 2019 or could make way to free up a spot.

DES a second year CatB rookie, so can keep for a further year as a Cat B rookie. He has been really impressive in the VFL this season, so unlikely he will be delisted.

Agree. Poor bugger is actually a potentially decent AFL ruck I reckon. But he has a fairly young Nank ahead of him, Balta doing the relief work and CCJ touted as a future star. Right place wrong time. Quite a few clubs might want to have a look at him. Good tap ruck, likes the hard stuff and can take a grab and kick a goal. Not a patch on Nank, but worth a few AFL games somewhere.

We will need to free up 2 spots for Stack and Baker on the senior list plus have at least 3 spots going in the ND

Senior list
Grigg (retired), Butler (traded), Moore (traded or delisted), Ellis (free agency), Markov or Menadue traded.

Rookies
Chol, Weller, Townsend (delist)
what's the rule on upgrading a rookie to the main list? Do we have first dibs on players on our list?

when was the last time we looked at our list and it was difficult to decide who will be traded or delisted at the end of the year. we will probably delist maybe 1 or 2 and then try to trade others. now we are financial and can have a full recruiting structure, look how our recruiting over the last few years has improved. get more draft picks from trades and develop the players ourselves . also isn't great that our 2 nga prospects are now at Caulfield grammar.

think maverick is a gonner. he has really fallen off the cliff
Yeah somestimes it just does'nt turn out the way you planned for...the best laid plans of mice and men...etc...etc...
Roll the dice and you learn your lesson and move on...second guessing a footy season's outcomes is fraught with unseen dangers...ie Rance, JR, Cotch, JG...
And blessings...Ross...Stacky...Balta...sometimes you just never know!

giphy.gif

Back