Prediction Who's likely to be delisted?

Which players are facing the chop at the end of the year.

• Total voters
Some of our small forwards may become midfielders... Rioli and Higgins for instance. Stengle & Baker are unproven, and will be given time. Really, we should be doing everything possible to hang on to Bolton

I know you're exaggerating, but 'everything possible' is just dumb. He's a fringe player with potential...If he asks for the kind of contract a solid best 22 player gets (for example), he should be invited to talk to other clubs.

May 7, 2009
melbourne, australia
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Shrewsbury FC
Disagree.

He'd cracked a senior spot when he did his knee first time and missed most of 2015. He got himself back in the seniors by season's end 2016 and then did his knee again in April 2017 writing that year off as well.

Ffs. The bloke has gone down big time twice and come back and after half a year of 2018 we're gonna bucket him ? At 23 ?

Geezuz. Lucky Daniel Menzel didn't have you as a coach.
No probs mate. I dont see what he offers. I havent since he made his debut. He runs.. awesome...
He doesnt enthuse me. Daniel menzel is lucky he didnt play with us. He doesnt do enough. He wouldnt get a game in our team. We run both ways

Goldust

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2005
Chisholm, Minnesota
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Nashville Predators
No probs mate. I dont see what he offers. I havent since he made his debut. He runs.. awesome...
He doesnt enthuse me. Daniel menzel is lucky he didnt play with us. He doesnt do enough. He wouldnt get a game in our team. We run both ways

Ditto.

It's mandatory to take 3 draft picks. So we'll be delisting or trading out at least 2 and Hammer. I think it will more likely be 5 in total.
Hammer, miles , Drummond , Bolton traded and I hope Corey Ellis as I don't see a spot for him.

Why would you delist Houli and Grigg, 2 of our most experienced players, when we are in a prime position to challenge for premierships in the next 2-3 years? There are no obvious better replacements right now, and they add a ton on game day. Remember Houli was BOG in the grand final? Grigg was pivotal throughout the finals. If we were rebuilding, I would agree on turning them over; but right now we should be looking to play our most skilled and experienced players while we rule the roost.
People in here saying townsend might be delisted jesus chirst

It's a week off mid-season and people are returning what they know best. Seeing a crisis and rebuilding form a squad of awful spuds :p

That we have a premiership squad with none on the downhill slide atm isn't an issue. Planning a total refresh is much more fun. Most of our top end will be here for 5 years. We're topping up and creating the replacements for our older players in 2-3 years.

We killed the 2018 draft. 2019 is more likely to be about doing whatever we can to build the future. That might involve Lynch. Otherwise it's likely to be young mids. No reason to get excited right now. Just enjoy the ride.

So about 4 changes sounds OK.

Yep, agree. Maybe even 3 is enough to do the bare minimum to bring in the compulsory draftees.

Can't remember a time when I was this comfortable with the 40th player on our list. It'd have to be Griffiths who was a 50+ AFL game player.

Other than him and the Hamsandwich, the other 38 all offer us something for 2019, IMO.

Apr 27, 2014
The Funny Farm Lakes Entrance
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Fanboi Farters
Hammerless gone
Griff the Punter gone
Miles traded
Lloyd traded

Out of the younger brigade I believe Markov is in trouble as he's the only one that hasn't come on since 2106. He's injury prone and getting too far back.
Also a possibility for Bolton to be traded as he's been cruising all year and got back on the list of smalls.

Yep, agree. Maybe even 3 is enough to do the bare minimum to bring in the compulsory draftees.

Can't remember a time when I was this comfortable with the 40th player on our list. It'd have to be Griffiths who was a 50+ AFL game player.

Other than him and the Hamsandwich, the other 38 all offer us something for 2019, IMO.

Hamsandwich :p:thumbsu::thumbsu:

Completely agree. We have two dead spots and the rest are capable footballers. Over time the kids progress and long term nearlys like Miles and Lloyd get moved on. But I can see us trying to be involved in some trades to either get up the pick list, or to do a 2018 and get another pick in the 20s.

If we get Lynch then we are well set for the next few years.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Cant see Lloyd or Miles being traded, they'd have almost zero currency.
Menadue, Markov, Cellis, Bolton and Stengle would be the best for some decent currency. Keeping one of Bolton or Stengle, we could do without any of those five and it wouldnt hurt our structure going forward, in fact it would probably be beneficial to the list development

Tango67

Club Legend
Oct 9, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
disagree, Menadue, Markov and Ellis are our future and need size and confidence which will eventually come I would at least give another year to all.

Need one of either Bolton or Stengle preferably both but if somehow we could trade Bolton to free for Adam Cerra I would try, he has not signed yet so would be on his ear.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Ellis, Townsend, Miles, Lloyd and possibly Drummond are all potentially going. Ellis may be given another year, Townsend is really not going to take us anywhere you'd think. Better players than those above have been delisted/traded. Hammer, obviously.

May 8, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
disagree, Menadue, Markov and Ellis are our future and need size and confidence which will eventually come I would at least give another year to all.

Need one of either Bolton or Stengle preferably both but if somehow we could trade Bolton to free for Adam Cerra I would try, he has not signed yet so would be on his ear.
Menaduem Markov and Cellis are not the future, they have shown little when given the opportunity, get something for them whilst they stil have something to offer.

69vintage

Premiership Player
Jan 15, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Hammerless gone
Griff the Punter gone
Miles traded
Lloyd traded

Out of the younger brigade I believe Markov is in trouble as he's the only one that hasn't come on since 2106. He's injury prone and getting too far back.
Also a possibility for Bolton to be traded as he's been cruising all year and got back on the list of smalls.
Injuries have hurt Markov,but i still think he could play Kmacs role .
He was the last man to get dropped before the finals last year .

Cant see Lloyd or Miles being traded, they'd have almost zero currency.
Menadue, Markov, Cellis, Bolton and Stengle would be the best for some decent currency. Keeping one of Bolton or Stengle, we could do without any of those five and it wouldnt hurt our structure going forward, in fact it would probably be beneficial to the list development

Trading Lloyd and Miles is about list spots not good draft picks.

Trading Menadue, Markov, Cellis, Bolton and Stengle would seem a backwards step, unless we have to for some reason.

Right now we are in the window to win multiple premierships. We want as strogna squad as we can for the next 3 years, whilst still building for the future. Trading out players that are starting to press for senior selection is completely wrong IMHO right now. Where we should sacrifice right now, if we absolutely have to, is depth in marginal draft pick players (50+). Right now I'd rather keep Drummond (who has proven less than those you mentioned) than another pick 70. We don't have an age problem or need to rebuild out list. We need to just keep on keeping on.

We've perhaps fixed the most pressing need - KPs and rucks. We have a lot of running players and some decent inside mids. But I would reckon that teh next thing we'd be looking for is decent quality contested mids, with some outside ability. Especially if they have size and athleticism. Usually low picks but someone might slide.

Right now keep the show together and expect that in about 3 years we will need about 4 new players to replace quality older guys. And then we'll have a slow progression updating the list. But we lose no one decent this year.

Don't do anything too 'clever'. Just carefully build the list and hope another snags drops in 2019 to our pick.

db26

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 26, 2007
Punt road
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Aston Villa,A-league
Markov and Menadue and Ellis stay for me.Markov and Menadue missed alot of preseason they have been playing catch-up.Ellis is only 21 showing good signs in vfl last month I believe he could be that big body inside midfielder we a craving for.

Grrr

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
mildura
AFL Club
Richmond
Menaduem Markov and Cellis are not the future, they have shown little when given the opportunity, get something for them whilst they stil have something to offer.
Menadue has line breaking speed, a great step, a long kick and is 188cm. What's not to like. Plays his first game in the guts in the VFL and,
26 disposals, six tackles, seven clearances, nine inside-50s and four rebound-50s.
Played a different role, and adding a new dimension to his game, which is reflected in his 16 contested possessions and seven clearances.”
Given the knock on him is his ability to get the ball, that is a good step forward.
Markov is a similar size and has played some excellent VFL football. Fast, tall etc.
You have to give them all the time needed, as they could come on this season or next. To say they aren't the future and writing them off now is short term in my opinion.
Ellis, due to lack of toe is up against it but is very talented, but is doing all that is asked of him at the moment, so has the rest of the season to see how he goes.

Back