Who's likely to be our best small forward?

Remove this Banner Ad

As a small forward I feel that they need to be a lot fitter than years ago. They need to exert extreme pressure to try to keep the ball in the F50 or at the very least prevent a composed rebound exit by the opposition. They also need to kick goals by being front and square , and if capable take a high mark like Betts or Picken. Its all about multiple avenue to goals. Last year Sumner did half the job, but due to his fitness base was unable to be as consistent as he needs to be. But what we did see with sumner is the ability and willingness to exert that pressure. So for me it was a great training year for him. We know he is capable and are now just waiting on his fitness to catch up. Likewise there are other players who could fill the small forward/mid role. As has been mentioned Wright was our top goal kicker in 2016 and his pressure efforts were very good. So those two are a start.
I also think with the extra mids having been drafted, that are ready to go eg Palmer, smedts, cuningham ,Boekhorst we should see Murphy go forward more as hopefully he wont be as critical to our midfield as in times past.
Remember it was only two years ago, that our midfield was seen to be too shallow and not enough running players to spread the load. Since then we have lost Judd, Carrazo, Bell so we were no doubt short of midfield run in 2016 especially when Murphy went down. This year our midfield has Murphy essentially as a new recruit v 2016 , the 4 players mentioned above who should now have the tank to run out the game, plus all the youngsters.

As a small forward I feel that they need to be a lot fitter than years ago. They need to exert extreme pressure to try to keep the ball in the F50 or at the very least prevent a composed rebound exit by the opposition. They also need to kick goals by being front and square , and if capable take a high mark like Betts or Picken. Its all about multiple avenue to goals. Last year Sumner did half the job, but due to his fitness base was unable to be as consistent as he needs to be. But what we did see with sumner is the ability and willingness to exert that pressure. So for me it was a great training year for him. We know he is capable and are now just waiting on his fitness to catch up. Likewise there are other players who could fill the small forward/mid role. As has been mentioned Wright was our top goal kicker in 2016 and his pressure efforts were very good. So those two are a start.
I also think with the extra mids having been drafted, that are ready to go eg Palmer, smedts, cuningham ,Boekhorst we should see Murphy go forward more as hopefully he wont be as critical to our midfield as in times past.
Remember it was only two years ago, that our midfield was seen to be too shallow and not enough running players to spread the load. Since then we have lost Judd, Carrazo, Bell so we were no doubt short of midfield run in 2016 especially when Murphy went down. This year our midfield has Murphy essentially as a new recruit v 2016 , the 4 players mentioned above who should now have the tank to run out the game, plus all the youngsters.

Not sure why you hit 'Return' twice. You had the opportunity to put together 500 words with virtually no punctuation.

What's the penalty around here for suggesting Zac has the potential to be a Milne for us?
I regularly pee on a citrus tree they own. Over time, it grows so lush that two or three times a year, they're forced to take a day to pick up the fallen produce, as well as pick the tree a bit to make sure it's not a problem for the rest of the growing season.

They know they've got enough to sell, but they're paralysed by the potential stress of setting up a stall and marketing.

They think of giving them away by placing them out front with a sign, then realise that prick down the road will probably take them all and have a home brew soft-drink party with his hipster mates.

They think of giving it to good will, then realise they haven't put it through any cleaning process, H&S checks and there's so few it'll just look like a dumb gesture compared to a bag of clothes or a donation.

They grow resentful of the citrus tree and its typically-biannual bounty, but the fruit continues to pile up.

"WHEN WILL IT END?! WHY DID I PLANT THIS GODFORSAKEN CREATION?! WHO NEEDS THIS MANY ORANGES, LEMONS OR LIMES FOR ANYTHING OTHER THAN SPECIFICALLY FLAVOURED DISHES AND DRINKS?!"

And then they run off into the forest, screaming unintelligibly.

Pickett is running and training now. The only two names on the injury list are Cripps and Byrne.
That is great news Pickett is actually running and doing full training...There has been a lot of speculation after his foot surgery and how slow it could be.Pickett not injury prone-someone landed on him.
He is coming from a long way back since surgery last april so he will be feeling tired,he will have to start somewhere and its good it appears he can begin to get some miles in now.
Pickett by the end of next season will begin to show signs he will be an excellent small forward,in the meantime we are lucky to have Wright in terms on consistency.Hopefully Sumner can lift his fitness to another level this year and live up to his potential.Armfield may play well,Buckley hopefully also can have potential,Lamb may prove to be determined,Smedts could surprise...

AT the moment its Wright by a long way.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be so good...

But unfortunately, no coach in their right mind would let a player like Betts leave their club...

Although, there is one hope. Maybe the crows will recruit a broken down player who is three or four years past his use by date, and pay him so much that they can't afford to keep Eddie...

I'm dreaming ! No one would do such a thing, would they?
Betts for Gibbs????

So many new players - it is doing my head in.

It's quite amazing really.

When you add them to the guys we didn't see, or only saw briefly, last year it's going to be a monumental task just for the MC to see if they can squeeze many of them in the first.

Northern blues reports will be great reading

Over to u Harkeroonie!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back