• Brent Ratten

Votes: 14 4.9%
  • Mark Williams

Votes: 24 8.5%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 30 10.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well the news is still sinking in, but theres not much we can do now but look at our options. One news site has the following odds for coaches:

Next senior coach of Brisbane

$3.00 Paul Roos
$6.00 Adrian Fletcher, Mark Harvey
$7.00 Rodney Eade
$8.00 Justin Leppitch, Nigel Lappin
$12 Alan Richardson, Brent Ratten, Mark Williams
As per this article: http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/br...n-a-new-contract/story-fndv8d6r-1226696515172 It would seem the timing means the board want to get Roos before Melbourne does. Roos still isnt sold on coaching again, so we could be chasing a white duck there.

Adrian Fletcher and Mark Harvey(Whos going to coach the rest of the year) at least have knowledge of the club and its players etc. Harvey also having had coached at the top level.

Rodney Eade could be interesting, however his record at the Bulldogs wasnt the best.

Funnily enough I thought about Lappin today as a replacement. Hes done a pretty good apprenticeship at Geelong and is a Lion boy himself. Leppitch being in a similar boat.

Alan Richardson: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Richardson_(footballer_born_1965)
Been around a fair bit, including Collingwood under Malthouse and now at Port.

Brent Ratten, we all know as Carltons fallen coach from the year before.

And Mark Williams, AKA Richmonds Dustin Martin Wrangler. A little fantasy situation I thought of was the fact that Dustin hadnt actually signed with Richmond yet, to my knowledge. We could, possibly, trade them Karny+Picks and get Dustin to come with Mark, since they have a pretty close bond. Get the kid out of the Fishbowl and playing Football without the distractions.

We have also had Worsfold and Alistar Clarkson linked to us, but I would put them in the highly unlikely pile. Along with Mark Neeld.

If the powers that be didn't already have a handshake agreement with a high profile prospective coach (i.e. Roos) I can't see how they could sack Voss.

Bit like Rattens sacking last year and Lyons shock signing the year before. These things are always done and dusted behind closed doors long before the media get to it.

What I don't want.

1- a semi successful 're-tread' ie Wallace or Eade or Harvey they've been a long time in the system without delivering the big prize. All can produce competitive teams but this is a signal that we ate aiming for finals not premierships.

2- an untested local hero. Ie black or brown. This is a great opportunity to get one of these guys into an assistant role but a move straight into coaching wouldn't work.

3- someone with a lot of other team baggage. I think this rules out William's and Roos. I know Leigh came with hawthorn and pies baggage but I would really love the sort of coach who will bring success and look back on his success with us as the crowning achievement of his career, not just another coaching gig.

I want the lions to make someone's reputation not trade off it.

I want the next Ken Hinkley, or the next Clarkson.

Don't know who that is though. I am afraid it might be Burns would be great if it was Leppa or Lappin but I really don't know if any current assistant has risen to the top which makes the decision of the board all the more depressing for me.

Just my own way of dealing with this fallout. It had to be discussed at some point.

Maybe Black to retire straight into coaching?
Fair enough wasn't a dig at you, simply stating my own position atm.

I will be very upset by this decision for a while longer, each person deals with the grieving process in different ways I suppose.

Don't let my behaviour stop you though.

The Brisbane Board must be extremely confident in getting Roos and they might have already signed him up. Why else would they sack Voss at this stage of the season. Roos did a great job at Sydney but that doesn't mean he'll guid every team he coaches to victory. I want Leigh Matthews back.

Interesting take on this by Eddie McGuire last night. He suggested that Lions are in financial trouble and have been for the last 2 years - seeking a 3.5ml handout for next year. Crowds and sponsors are on the wane and they need to engage a high profile coach "personality" that will breath life back into the club , supporters, sponsors, and convince the AFL that they are not throwing good money after bad. This is a hard nose business decision as Voss has 'lost the gloss'. Expect Roos or a wildcard in Leigh Mathews.

The timing of the sacking is interesting. If Essendon get a points penalty the Lions are still mathematically in the finals race so the board moved now to circumvent any chance of a late season charge into the top eight saving the coach.

Voss showed his inexperience and screwed up badly when he started but has done a really good with a youth rebuild in a time when the development teams have made this almost impossible. Unfortunately someone else will reap the glory for his hard work.

Shabby treatment of a club great but this is the commercial reality of AFL. Look forward to the new appointment as Voss has done the hard 'in and under' grunt work and hopefully the team will now be handed over to a renown 'finisher'.

What I don't want.

1- a semi successful 're-tread' ie Wallace or Eade or Harvey they've been a long time in the system without delivering the big prize. All can produce competitive teams but this is a signal that we ate aiming for finals not premierships.

2- an untested local hero. Ie black or brown. This is a great opportunity to get one of these guys into an assistant role but a move straight into coaching wouldn't work.

3- someone with a lot of other team baggage. I think this rules out William's and Roos. I know Leigh came with hawthorn and pies baggage but I would really love the sort of coach who will bring success and look back on his success with us as the crowning achievement of his career, not just another coaching gig.

I want the lions to make someone's reputation not trade off it.

I want the next Ken Hinkley, or the next Clarkson.

Don't know who that is though. I am afraid it might be Burns would be great if it was Leppa or Lappin but I really don't know if any current assistant has risen to the top which makes the decision of the board all the more depressing for me.

I agree with you except for #3. We're in a position to expect success over the next few years. Short of Chris Scott who had the perfect situation, it usually takes a fair few years for a new senior coach to really get his team to that top level. What's the point in changing coaches if the aim isn't to shortcut that?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem with looking for a young gun coach is that you might end up with the next Mark Neeld instead of the next Alistair Clarkson.

The "next young gun" would be infuriating. Voss was in the same situation, minus the apprenticeship, when he was hired. Our development has been there, and Voss deserved the chance to take that hard work, ala Mark Thompson, into the logical premiership window for the group that's been developed.

This move has the potential to rip that group apart. The players would be rightly jaded to see an assistant without senior experience walk in to take over from what they've been working towards, only to start anew.

If Roos isn't on the line, this move is insane.

Would one of the Scott Boys comeback?

Just putting it out there - particularly Brad.

I'm most worried about a new coach, whoever it is, making their mark on the team with THEIR game plan etc.

Even if it is Roos, I think its put us back by 12-24 months which then brings in to question the "window" for the group after Brown & Black - Merrett, Patfull, Adcock, MacGuire, Staker, Moloney, Martin, Raines (thats 8 of last week's 22). Is this another rebuild? Please no.

EDIT: and Brown & Black and you have 10 of 22/24 depending on selections

There is just no way that we would be sacking vossy now without another coach semi locked in at worst. Two easier games to come, mathematical chance for the 8 with the essendon saga hanging over the comp, an improved last 8 weeks, the team seeming to play for him.... The only sound business logic behind this decision would be that the next coach is agreed on and is high profile and successful. No way you'd sack him now, unless the next coach is higher profile and successful. To me, if logic is brought into it, the Roos must be the man who is in.

I wouldn't underestimate Roos' feeling of connection to the Lions entity, or want for the merged club to be successful. He has spoken of that in the past. He is loyal, and those saying what about when he left the Roy's, remember he was one of the last major players to leave and not the first, was grossly underpaid versus league standards and wanted to set up his family financially during his last playing days. Look at the way he left the swans - making sure the club was well set up for the future and maintaining a connection through the academy. I suspect he sees appeal in the 'return' to the lions family.

I would be stunned if it isn't Paul Roos in the gig. While I really feel for Vossy and certainly feel he deserved another two year tilt at taking us to the next level, I would be excited about a strong candidate like Roos taking on the job for our club. He will bring with him the nous to win a premiership and build a playing group up - be it the non DH recruiting policy, the astute tactics, the player coach relationship king..... He is the complete package.

nah, that's ok, you can have him.

Pretty sure we don't want him either. We already had experience with the "run your team into the ground too early" approach back in 2010.

I'd be surprised if they brought back a recent Lions player after the 'meltdown' of the community. I think the timing suggests they wanted to at least get a chance to land Roos. I'm not convinced he will be coach next year and I think Harvey will be instead. Would rather have Eade as head coach. Eade might be the best fit looking at our age profile of the list, and he IMO is the best coach that is available. Got a gut feeling that Harvey will coach though when Eade turns us down.

Pretty sure we don't want him either. We already had experience with the "run your team into the ground too early" approach back in 2010.

but what about the exercise bikes? that could work.

no, he's terrible. I hope for your sake you dont get him.

Obviously you'd want roos, but choko would be my 2nd choice (and im a crows fan, so i hate him).

Back