Prediction Who's our next captain?

Who's our next captain?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can you remember ..how old was Harley ? ... we are looking at a very mature guy who ever it is .. and probably a lot shorter term
Had to check... 28.

The Selwood type appointment, age wise, would be unusual. More often it would be an experienced type.

Had to check... 28.

The Selwood type appointment, age wise, would be unusual. More often it would be an experienced type.

Backman as a captain .. ?? I think I prefer a mid ..but no one fits the profile.. Joel is at the stage where he could be replaced this year.. ..will have to be replaced in the next couple... gee Coniglio would fit well.

We are not any closer to an answer ...

Strongly disagree.

We have better candidates now. When this thread was created in 2014 there was no one even close to being a good choice. PFD (if we were to appoint a short-term candidate), Blitz and Stewart are all leaders with potential to do the job well. They're not "perfect" candidates in the sense that they're not in the age demographic we'd like the Selwood replacement to be in an ideal world, but they're still better options than the 2014 alternatives.

Strongly disagree.

We have better candidates now. When this thread was created in 2014 there was no one even close to being a good choice. PFD (if we were to appoint a short-term candidate), Blitz and Stewart are all leaders with potential to do the job well. They're not "perfect" candidates in the sense that they're not in the age demographic we'd like the Selwood replacement to be in an ideal world, but they're still better options than the 2014 alternatives.

I cant agree... they were poor choices then... and we have a limited choice now... not one strong mid candidate

I cant agree... they were poor choices then... and we have a limited choice now... not one strong mid candidate

Danger's a mid and he's an absolutely outstanding candidate. If it wasn't for his age his appointment would be a formality. That's the only real issue with going with him instead of Blitz or Stewart. However that's not to say we shouldn't consider it - Harley and Ling both turned 29 in their first years as captains, and those seemed to work well. If Danger were at any other club he would have already been captain. Just bad luck for him that he's been at the club at the same time as one of the greater leaders the game has ever seen.

Danger's a mid and he's an absolutely outstanding candidate. If it wasn't for his age his appointment would be a formality. That's the only real issue with going with him instead of Blitz or Stewart. However that's not to say we shouldn't consider it - Harley and Ling both turned 29 in their first years as captains, and those seemed to work well. If Danger were at any other club he would have already been captain. Just bad luck for him that he's been at the club at the same time as one of the greater leaders the game has ever seen.

I dont hate it ... and on talent he is the obvious choice.... but Danger is a very different Cat .. would it suit the club. He speaks well as players rep. Do it this year and he has a couple of years ...

Danger, even if for only a year or 2. He is a born leader, and but for him wanting out of Adelaide to return to Geelong he would have been the Crows’ captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stewart for mine. Has displayed leadership since the day he arrived, and already acts as a coach for the women's team. Has captaincy written all over him, and has demanded respect from the day he walked in the door. Much like, Sel, Ling and Harley all did.

Gotta be Stewart. He's not a 'silver spoon' footballer like Dangerfield is - he's done it the hard way and plays in a workman like way. He works hard and has an aggressive streak I really like.

Captaining from the backline isn't such a bad thing, he can see the whole game, all game.

We have few good options, I think Stewart is the obvious one.

Hawkins is a bit old and too team orientated (doesnt take responsibility enough at times)
Danger is a one man band
Blicavs too many clangers and struggles under pressure
Duncan a bit too much of an outside player and getting on a bit
Stewart has a good amount of grunt and isn't too old

Back