Opinion who's set for a big year? who needs a big year?

GoTheSwannies

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
i think parker, k.jack & hanners will have big years.

Parker is on the rise and just has that determination that you know hell continue to push himself and improve.

k.jack was nursing injuries in 2014 and seemed to lack the polish he normally had in front of goals. i think he'll return to the form of a few years ago and really impact the scoreboard.

hanners, had a down year in 14. too much pride to have 2 substandard years imo. came back in great shape, i think he'll be getting plenty of the ball in 2015.

Bird needs a big year imo. was getting there in 2014 but injury struck. he needs to take his game to another level imo. he's an.injury away from dropping down the pecking order. in his favour, he's a great shut down player, so has a niche position to some extent. but still needs to lift to maintain his spot.

dangle

Team Captain
Nov 17, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Carolina Panthers, OKC Thunder
Bird needs a big year imo. was getting there in 2014 but injury struck. he needs to take his game to another level imo. he's an.injury away from dropping down the pecking order. in his favour, he's a great shut down player, so has a niche position to some extent. but still needs to lift to maintain his spot.

Bird is safe as houses. Integral part of the team. From rounds 6 until he got injured, he ranked 2nd (behind JPK) for tackles and clearances and was 1st in loose ball gets. Also ranked above average in the AFL for pressure acts, tackles, clearances and contested possessions for the season.
I think he is super important and very underrated.

Harrison Marsh needs to pull something pretty serious out this year or he will be delisted.
Sam Naismith is into his 3rd year on the rookie list and either needs to show something worth an upgrade or pack his bags.
Xavier Richards has shown little but just got upgraded so I imagine he is contracted for 2016.
Tom Derickx needs to do something beyond cringeworthy interviews because he was routinely smashed when used in Pyke's absence and was also excluded from the NAB challenge side when Pyke, Nankervis and Naismith all played.
Sam Reid is basically Jarrad Waite - constantly talked up as Mr Potential but is inconsistent and is regularly injured. Doesn't need to show anything this year as will be retained regardless.

Who can have a big year?

Jeremy Laidler, one of our few players with good disposal, can establish himself as a lock in the defence.
Dane Rampe could get more time up the ground
Dean Towers, if he's up to it, has the opportunity to become a regular

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Buddy and parker will be 1 and 2 in the best and fairest. I think buddy will win a second consecutive coleman. His improved marking last year plus his more consistant pre season this year is a dangerous sign for the comp.

Sam reid is under immense pressure to prove himself. Being paid huge bucks and has not delivered at all.

Mitchell needs to bay 20 + games or he will leave next year

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
Who's set for a big year? Josh Kennedy. Because he's Josh Kennedy and he's never not Josh Kennedy.

Who needs a big year? Pretty much who swansfan51 listed (apart from Xavier Richards as he is indeed contracted for 2016). They need to play seniors games or they're done for.

Although I think Tom Derickx also signed a 2 year deal last season so if that's the case, he's in a similar boat to Xavier.

McVeigh needs a big year.
The midfield coach needs a big year.
Hanners will have a big year.
Mitchell will have a big year.
Punts will have a big year.
Bedford has a source that knows someone that will have a big year.

McVeigh needs a big year.
The midfield coach needs a big year.
Hanners will have a big year.
Mitchell will have a big year.
Punts will have a big year.
Bedford has a source that knows someone that will have a big year.

Punts to hit 10,000 posts by round 4

I have this sneaky feeling that Hanners will have a poor year...

But I would very much enjoy it if people are quoting this post later in the year when Hanners is being talked about for B&F or Brownlow smokeys.

Last edited:
Parker to either start strong then be tagged out for the 2nd half of the year or visa versa
Hanners needs a big year
McViegh will have a big one
Jetta and Reid need big years

I agree both Jetta and Reid need big years.
I can't help but think Jetta's off to WA at the end of this year\contract and Reid needs to play now for his next one.

I'm fence sitting on Hanners he should have a good year coming back in better shape than he did last year and no preseason injury worries, but he's my new Nick Davis. So much talent, and I'm not sure we'll ever see the best of it consistently.

I also think Tom Mitchell needs a big year. Another year in the ressies will surely see him move on.

leobarryustar

Milking frees
Margin Mania Chess Club Member BeanCoiNFT Investor Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Sep 23, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
The Exers
Would love to see Mitchell hit his potential and secure his spot.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
One thing im not sure that horse does well is give young players opportunies. He seems to stick to bis best 22 regardless of form.

This causes a number of problems. Number 1 is there is no pressure on senior players to perform. They know that week in week out they have their spot sewn up. I genuinely think that some players get a little too relaxed.

The other problem is that it causes talenter young players to leave. Lamb,biggs and membrey are examples of this

RW

Cancelled
10k Posts Sydney Forum Service Medal Sydney Swans - Jake Lloyd 2020 Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor Sydney Swans - Harry Cunningham 2019 Player Sponsor Ex-Moderator Sydney Swans - Gary Rohan Player Sponsor 2018 Sydney Swans - George Hewett Player Sponsor 2017 Sydney Swans - Callum Mills Player Sponsor 2016 Podcaster
Jan 11, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Talking about the players for a minute (a novel concept I know)

Needs a big year: Reid, Tippett
Set for a big year: Mitchell, Rampe

Back