Who's the best Indigenous player ever?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll throw up another player. Dereck Kickett. At his best he was sensational.
Yeah a star at his time, but would be similar to a Farmer, Cyril Rioli type don't you think? Absolute elite at their peak but not the longevity

I remember as a kid how big a deal it was when Sheedy dropped him for the GF in 93 or 94.

Probably makes you realize/think of the indigenous players who had some ******* sensational seasons but just struggled to do it for a long period of time

I guess that is why the few who did it for 7-10+ years like Buddy, Wanganeen, Goodes & Matera stick out

We got robbed as viewers of seeing Adrian McAdam, Liam Jurrah, & Winton Abraham and others displaying their skills

Yeah a star at his time, but would be similar to a Farmer, Cyril Rioli type don't you think? Absolute elite at their peak but not the longevity

I remember as a kid how big a deal it was when Sheedy dropped him for the GF in 93 or 94.

Probably makes you realize/think of the indigenous players who had some ******* sensational seasons but just struggled to do it for a long period of time

I guess that is why the few who did it for 7-10+ years like Buddy, Wanganeen, Goodes & Matera stick out

We got robbed as viewers of seeing Adrian McAdam, Liam Jurrah, & Winton Abraham and others displaying their skills
Kickett had a decent career outside of Essenbon. He was robbed of a Sandover when he played for Claremont and played some pretty good footy for Sydney. Not in the top echelon but I reckon there was no better player to watch when he was on.

Kickett had a decent career outside of Essenbon. He was robbed of a Sandover when he played for Claremont and played some pretty good footy for Sydney. Not in the top echelon but I reckon there was no better player to watch when he was on.
I legit forgot that he played for Sydney until you mentioned it. Cant remember but did he play in the losing Sydney GF team with Lockett and Roos?

Can't comment on his WA form though as I never saw it. Just remember his him v Sheedy thing for a few years was massive

Buddy's a freak, if he wanted to come back to WA at 50 I'd welcome him with open arms at Freo.
mate if he wanted to come home and play for the club he supported as a kid, I'm sure we could move McDonald on to fit him in a FP for us lol (triple lol)

We are witnessing absolute greatness

People talk about once in a generation type players, he is on a rare next level to that imo

mate if he wanted to come home and play for the club he supported as a kid, I'm sure we could move McDonald on to fit him in a FP for us lol (triple lol)

We are witnessing absolute greatness

People talk about once in a generation type players, he is on a rare next level to that imo
50 years ago he would have been playing for Perth in the WAFL, before pissing off to Victoria.

50 years ago he would have been playing for Perth in the WAFL, before pissing off to Victoria.
Yeah no doubt, I'm just not old enough to witness that stuff

As a late 30's bloke I can only go by what I witnessed as a mid teenager/adult

I have him and GAJ as my 1 & 2. I never thought anyone would over take GAJ but * me I never thought Buddy would do this at 35. Buddy is doing what we thought GAJ may be able to do at the same age

I'm starting to get won over as Buddy being the best I have seen ever, I could make a strong argument that not only has he surpassed Carey, but more that he he is flying passed him

Wayne Carey, comfortably. Close thread.
Every_1%E2%80%99s_a_Winner.jpeg

Is it Lance Franklin? Graham Polly Farmer? Adam Goodes? Barry Cable?
Polly Farmer - his impact on how the game is played was profound. Nobody else has had such impact

Got to be Buddy. Not only the best indigenous player I've seen but I rate him the best player over the last 20 years and in the same tier as Carey and Ablett sr as the best players I've seen growing up.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah no doubt, I'm just not old enough to witness that stuff

As a late 30's bloke I can only go by what I witnessed as a mid teenager/adult

I have him and GAJ as my 1 & 2. I never thought anyone would over take GAJ but duck me I never thought Buddy would do this at 35. Buddy is doing what we thought GAJ may be able to do at the same age

I'm starting to get won over as Buddy being the best I have seen ever, I could make a strong argument that not only has he surpassed Carey, but more that he he is flying passed him

Settle down.
5 goals last night and he's now the GOAT.
He's been relatively quiet to date. Had a 6 goal outing against Brisbane but other than that, he looks no different to what many of the best did in their last season of football.

Buddy, Goodes, Mcleod.

Have really enjoyed watching these guys play and constantly amazed at how good they were/are.
Can't really comment on guys I've not seen (Polly Farmer, etc) or was too young to remember/appreciate (Matera, etc).

Umm. Yeah. Tough thread.

Before the afl and before the indigenous boys were really given a chance there are a whole lot of guys who might have a claim if they lived in a different time

Billy Roe
David kantilla

Any old Sturt supporters will vouch for Michael Graham.

South Freo. Benny Vigona and Willy Roe.

There are also a couple of Long brothers who were way different to Mick. Brian, had the most time of any person I have ever seen. It was like time stood still and granite hard. Steven. High flying, tall, incredibly quick and deadly from 50 in.

For the ones to be more fortunate with timing. Carey/Buddy. —————daylight ————— moonlight ————- everyone else.

I'm biased of course but Maurice is the best I've seen, in fact one of the best players indeginous or not but most that saw him play say Polly is the best.

Buddy stands comfortably amongst the top few, 1000 goals in the modern era is mind boggling.

Maurice was bloody good, but even he admitted that he was behind his team mate, ....... TI ( Stephen Michael ).

Polly is still numero uno.

The difference in professionalism pre and post AFL inception makes those old players redundant, good in their day but not in the same conversation as your Franklin, Goodes, Mcleod, Burgoyne, Cyril, Wanganeen who would run rings around them.
Burgoyne for mine for the 4 flags with 2 clubs and the longevity thats gone with it, sublime player.

Bulldust.

Old players are not redundant, they were the best in their era.

I've seen all the Rioli's play. I stand by my statement, for pure talent, Cyril is the best I've seen.

I just don't get the Cyril hate on here. Like it's somehow cool to pot the bloke. Baffling.

Cyril played on a forward flank. Maurice played in the guts, he was the controller.

Centre man trumps forward flanker.

I feel people forget how genuinely influential Adam Goodes was at his prime. Won a brownlow playing as a midfielder and then as a fwd/ruck in teams that did reasonably well.

The bloke was an out and out gun who people often overlook due to the downhill profile he took in the back end of his career.

From an all-round point of view, it's hard to beat Maurice Rioli.

He is also one of the few players to have been voted BOG in the 3 GFs he played. Two Simpson medals and a Norm Smith meant he was the quintessential big game player.
Maurice also won a Simpson Medal in a state of origin game versus Victoria in 1983. I think he'd be pleased at how his young bloke is going at Richmond.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back