Who's the best Indigenous player ever?

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Once saw Goodes play V freo, All I can remember of it, was Goodes running the ball out of the backline, and its seemed Man v boys, pretty impressive sight.

May 20, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree with this 100%

And I think you take era into account to determine what you value

pre 2005 - 1. McLeod, 2. Franklin, 3. Goodes
2005-2020 - 1. Goodes, 2. Franklin, 3. McLeod
2020-present - 1. Franklin, 2. Goodes, 3. McLeod
What? So you would rank Buddy who was only in his 1st or 2nd season pre 2005 as the 2nd best indigenous player of all time ahead of Goodes?

ray1984

Debutant
May 16, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
Best for pure talent is Cyril. And not just indigenous, but any race.

We've had some rippers at North; Pickett, Abraham, Krakouer brothers
Cyril along with Michael Long most over rated easily.

Franklin along with the Matera brothers, Peter was a freak. Watch his highlights of The grand final 1992 grand final where he won the game for the eagles kicking 5 goals playing in the midfield

Abraham could had been anything but broke his leg and was never the same

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Cyril along with Michael Long most over rated easily.

Franklin along with the Matera brothers, Peter was a freak. Watch his highlights of The grand final 1992 grand final where he won the game for the eagles kicking 5 goals playing in the midfield

Abraham could had been anything but broke his leg and was never the same
Nicky Winmar was also an absolute star. Regular AA. Could play half forward and in the middle equally well. He was ahead of his time in a way. Loved watching him hit up Lockett laces out

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Once saw Goodes play V freo, All I can remember of it, was Goodes running the ball out of the backline, and its seemed Man v boys, pretty impressive sight.
After they won the 2012 flag I remember thinking they should give him the nickname, Adam ‘posterior cruciate ligaments are strictly for weaklings’ Goodes

ray1984

Debutant
May 16, 2022
AFL Club
St Kilda
Nicky Winmar was also an absolute star. Regular AA. Could play half forward and in the middle equally well. He was ahead of his time in a way. Loved watching him hit up Lockett laces out
Yes he was I saw the end of his career when he was passed his hey day be he was a freak as well

Too many greats in too many different positions and eras to call the best ever but my favourites in no order are

Stephen Michael
Maurice Rioli
Franklin
Cable
Betts
Goodes
McLeod
Wanganeen

Cyril
Matera
Winmar
SBurger

The bolded probably the class above

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think the olds in Stephen Michael and Polly and the like might still have this covered. Personally don't think Betts should be anywhere near the top 10, been many better, fine player that he was.

sdfc

Premiership Player
Feb 15, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Swans
Possibly earning a living has something to do with 'they would refuse to adapt'.
Given the player pay rates today I doubt Stephen Michael would have to drive trucks to supplement his pay if he was born 40 years later.

greening22

Team Captain
Apr 14, 2008
MELBOURNE
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NEWCASTLE; JUVENTUS;
Too many greats in too many different positions and eras to call the best ever but my favourites in no order are

Stephen Michael
Maurice Rioli
Franklin
Cable
Betts
Goodes
McLeod
Wanganeen

Cyril
Matera
Winmar
SBurger

The bolded probably the class above
Andrew McLeod by a street! Goodnight & good luck.

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Best ever? Can't be bothered with that, it's all subjective.

I just want to list some players I've seen that contemporary footy fans have probably never seen.

Graham 'Polly' Farmer - an amazing player who revolutionized the game. Made handball an attacking weapon.
David Kantilla - played for South Adelaide in the 1960s. Lightly built but had a leap like a roman candle. Great player.
Stephen Michael - Highlight on The Front Bar a few weeks back, he was a walking highlights real.
Michael Graham - known as the Black Flash for Sturt in the 1970s, had blistering leg speed. I don't think I've ever seen anyone quicker.
Barry Cable - When discussing the best rover ever, Barry would be right up there. A brilliant player.

All five, if they were playing today, would be superstars.

Cyril isn't even the best player in his family.
Winnie Abraham was more talented than Cyril imo. He was a freak.

Barry Cable beat Leigh Matthews the few times they played.

McLeod was good, as good as any maybe. Duck was the best tho.

Goodes was a better player than Buddy. Buddy is good but over rated.

Oct 8, 2007
WESTERN AUSTRALIA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
FLO-RIDA , PITBULL ,SEAN PAUL
Stephen Michael is my best but I do have a good respect as great players for Maurice Rioli , Peter Matera , Andrew Mcleod , Buddy and Goodes ..

They should be in most Footy posters Top 10 ..

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Winnie Abraham was more talented than Cyril imo. He was a freak.

Barry Cable beat Leigh Matthews the few times they played.

McLeod was good, as good as any maybe. Duck was the best tho.

Goodes was a better player than Buddy. Buddy is good but over rated.

You clearly didnt see Sebastian Rioli - good as Winston was, he isnt a patch on Sibby;) even Syd Jackson or Phil & Jimmy.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
McLeod, Franklin, Goodes, Betts, Michael Long, Shaun Burgoyne and a few others.

RichLeMonde

Club Legend
Sep 26, 2019
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Celtics
Why 'ahead of his time' ?
Rucks and rovers have rested as forward pockets since forever, and Ted Whitten used to change from CHF to CHB with each quarter, to follow the wind (so the legend goes at least), but the strategic rotation of players was still pretty primitive until the 21st century.

Today, guys who rotate through the middle and on a forward flank - who can win their own ball and burst from stoppages, and also kick and set up goals when around half forward, are invaluable. Trac, Bont, and Dusty are prime examples. From a couple of years ago, Robbie Grey and Ben Cousins set the trend.

Winmar's talents were so sublime they sort of prompted his coach to use him like this, when it was not so common. You might have examples of guys who were used like that even earlier, but I'd still say Winmar was ahead of his time - he was a 2020s player playing in the 1980s and 1990s.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Rucks and rovers have rested as forward pockets since forever, and Ted Whitten used to change from CHF to CHB with each quarter, to follow the wind (so the legend goes at least), but the strategic rotation of players was still pretty primitive until the 21st century.

Today, guys who rotate through the middle and on a forward flank - who can win their own ball and burst from stoppages, and also kick and set up goals when around half forward, are invaluable. Trac, Bont, and Dusty are prime examples. From a couple of years ago, Robbie Grey and Ben Cousins set the trend.

Winmar's talents were so sublime they sort of prompted his coach to use him like this, when it was not so common. You might have examples of guys who were used like that even earlier, but I'd still say Winmar was ahead of his time - he was a 2020s player playing in the 1980s and 1990s.

Interesting observation Rich.
Effectively across the history of interchange in action:
  • 1978 – the replacement of two substitutes with two interchanges
  • 1994 – the introduction of a third interchange, and introduction of forced interchange under the blood rule
  • 1998 – the introduction of a fourth interchange
  • 2011 – the replacement of four interchanges with three interchanges and a substitute
  • 2013 – the introduction of forced interchange for concussed players, with the provision for temporary activation of the substitute while a concussion test is conducted
  • 2014 – the addition of an interchange cap, limiting teams to 120 interchanges per game
  • 2016 – the return to four interchanges without a substitute, reduction of the interchange cap to 90 per game[30]
  • 2021 – the reduction of the interchange cap to 75 a game,[1] and introduction of a medical substitute as a fifth bench player.[2]
We went from 18 blokes playing 100 mins to 22 sharing the 100 minutes.

I'm battling to see the comparison of Nicky with the bigger bodies that are Trac, Bont & Dusty & footy 2022 style.
Thats whilst acknowledging Nicky Winmar & his sublime skills from his early days at South Freo under Mal Brown.

Back