Player Watch Who's the better full back? RANCE, SCARLETT or SILVAGNI?

Who is the greatest full back of the modern era?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

That is awesome! Love the modesty lol, he is one of the few ever to be able to say something like that and not be a try hard figjam. Got a link?
It was in his autobiography.

I’ll have to buy it, I’m sure it’ll be an awesome read both on and off field
There's a couple doing the rounds, one is unauthorised. I'll have a look tomorrow and tell you which one to get. I'll see if I can take an image of that quote for you.

they never put Silvagni on Ablett in the 80's for a reason. Far too mobile during that era. It was always Peter Dean, Rhys-Jones or Tom Alvin and they did a pretty decent job for the most part.
Bruce Doull had a couple of cracks in 86 but was over the hill by that stage and soundly beaten in the times he was on him.

Mal Michael deserves to be next to that duo before Rance. Its actually embarrassing when you watch him plus compare the forwards he has had to play on compared to others. I wouldnt even have him in my backline if I had to make a side out of current day players. Completely overrated

they never put Silvagni on Ablett in the 80's for a reason. Far too mobile during that era. It was always Peter Dean, Rhys-Jones or Tom Alvin and they did a pretty decent job for the most part.
Bruce Doull had a couple of cracks in 86 but was over the hill by that stage and soundly beaten in the times he was on him.
That's because Ablett wasn't exclusively a FF until much later.

I found this quote by Ablett senior regarding Silvagni quite interesting.

"People say to me that Steve had my measure, a lot of people have. But Stephen never played on me until I was 32 and over. If he had played on me when I was in my prime on a forward flank they would have had to put a miner's light on him because he would have still been out there looking for me at 10 o'clock that night." - Gary Ablett snr on SOS.
Ablett is just bitter he got reamed by SOS time and time again. That GF has gotta sting... even Brownless managed to kick a goal (three in fact). He can say whatever he likes, it's not like SOS never played on faster/nippier types.

I'd take Dunstall and Lockett's word over his any day when talking about their direct opponent. Far classier people than Ablett ever was.

Silvangi had 10 kicked on him by Lockett.
That's not really anything to be ashamed of. Lockett was the greatest FF of all time, there were no modern defensive structures defenders take for granted. Given a day when he is on, there's no FB in history who could stop him. Do you think Rance would fare better? LOL.

I love it how you're cherry-picking, too. Because in the return game he restricted Lockett to something like 2-3 goals, in fact he did that many times against Lockett. One of the best rivalries in VFL/AFL history.

Ablett is just bitter he got reamed by SOS time and time again. That GF has gotta sting... even Brownless managed to kick a goal (three in fact). He can say whatever he likes, it's not like SOS never played on faster/nippier types.

I'd take Dunstall and Lockett's word over his any day when talking about their direct opponent. Far classier people than Ablett ever was.
Gary Ablett senior is one of the top 3 players of all time , if not the best player of all time and like says was over 32 when he first played on Silvagni. You can see from this photo Silvagni's style, one hand tugs on the jumper and one hand goes over the shoulder. Resized_15496284696388846623202115854838001_887.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dustin Fletcher.

Stood the big boys of the 90s as a young man.

During Essendon's period of dominance, they always had a fairly uneven list with some real star power and a few spuds. Lloyd, Hird and Fletcher were the best of the best at the club at that time. Statistical analysis made it clear that Fletcher playing or missing had a much bigger correlation to Essendon winning or losing than the other two.

Essendon's 2000 season was the most dominant I've seen in my life. Finished the year with one loss (to a never seen before tactic despite leading the whole game) with a percentage of 160. Won every final emphatically, including kicking 200 points in the qualifying final against the reigning superpower. Won the GF easily despite a goal kicking accuracy of 30% on the day. Full forward kicked over 100 goals and w. Captain was a big mid and small CHF who was a Brownlow favourite that year. Essendon assembled one of the greatest forward lines seen.

Despite all these facts about the 2000 team Dustin Fletcher won the B&F at the club as a full back.

Following 2000 Dustin Fletcher began to revolutionise full back with his extraordinary ability to read the play and some of the best kicking in the game.

None of those three did all that. None of them were able to play on and beat Ablett snr, Carey, Rocca, Modra, Dunstal, Lockett ect ect AND beat Philip Matera, Farmer ect ect ... AND become such an attacking weapon that opposition would tag him.

Ask Scarlett who is better. Him or Fletcher?

I really don't get how people rate Silvagni as he supposedly played in an era where forwards were kicking huge bags of goals, as in really huge and those players seemed to be kicking big bags against Carlton was well.

I really don't get how people rate Silvagni as he supposedly played in an era where forwards were kicking huge bags of goals, as in really huge and those players seemed to be kicking big bags against Carlton was well.
Lockett took him to the cleaners, Rance was slated because Cox kicked 3 on him Lockett bagged 10 on Silvagni.

If 3 goals is pantsed then what is 10 goals as Lockett kicked on Silvagni?

Every player has an off day, Richmonds whole backline had on off day in the prelim.

No, no, no, isolated games mean everything.

“I’ll report you for calling me an idiot”, proceeds to call someone opinion idiotic and a campaigner multiple times. More great hypocrisy from Socrates2

He’s right you know. You said yourself Rance doesn’t play on a man.

Gloating is ugly I know but ******* lol :tearsofjoy:

Why do people keep on comparing players of different eras? it is pointless and nothing more than a troll by the op. Silvagni played at a time of one on one footy where fullbacks were isolated on full-forwards with little assistance from a 2nd defender. He was also allowed to get away with a bit more. Scarlett played in a more attacking era for defenders where the fullback was encouraged to run off the FF and defenders kicked the ball BACKWARDS to maintain possession!!! So stats like disposals are pointless when comparing players of different eras. Rance is a fine player who reads the play and intercept marking and third man up play is very good, but his one-on-one play is far below the other 2 mentioned. A better question might be who is better Rance or McGovern, Scarlett or Glass, Silvagni or Langford

Like I said, sometimes ya just gotta know.
I think post 458 sums things up pretty well.
Ok, the poll has had a good run and the results are in. Bigfooty voters say Scarlett is the goat, followed closely by Silvagni and then Rance in third. Resized_15497553514466604372730237139771001_6902.jpeg

Back