Whos the greatest player never to win an MVP?

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 2, 2000
Perth, Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool, Chicago Bulls.
Was just wondering who you fellow NBA fans thought was the best never to get one. Ok considering only 46 have been given out and only 22 players have taken them home you would think there is a fair amount of top players to miss out. Plus anybody playing before 55 couldnt get one as it wasnt given out until 1955 which saw Bob Petit take hom the inaugural Most Valuble Player Award.

A few stats, only three men have won 3 consecutive MVP awards, Russell did it first from 60 to 63. Wilt the Stilt Chaimberlain followed suit getting 3 in a row from 65 to 68 and it wasnt achieved again until 1983 through 1986 when Larry Bird took it home three years running which would in fact be his only victories. Back to back MVP awards have gone to Kareem Abdul Jabbar who won back to back MVP's twice in 71 and 72 and 76 and 77. Moses Malone did it in 81, 82. Magic Johnson in 89, 90 and Jordan in 91,92.

Heres are the winners and how many times they have won it.

Kareem Abdul Jabbar - 6
Michael Jordan - 5
Bill Russell - 5
Wilt Chaimberlain - 4
Magic Johnson - 3
Larry Bird - 3
Moses Malone - 3
Bob Petit - 2
Karl Malone - 2
Bob Cousy - 1
Oscar Robertson - 1
Wes Unseld - 1
Willis Reed - 1
Dave Cowens - 1
Bob McAdoo - 1
Bill Walton - 1
Julius Erving - 1
Charles Barkley - 1
Hakeem Olajuwon - 1
David Robinson - 1
Shaquille O'Neal - 1
Allen Iverson - 1

So there are plenty of great names not on the list, who is the best ever not to get one.

Well you could rattle off names that were unlucky never to get one. Bernard King, Jerry West, Rick Barry, Elgin Baylor, Pete Maravich, Dave Bing, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe, Walt Frazier, George Gervin, John Havlicek, Dominique Wilkens, Patrick Ewing, Scottie Pippen....

But considering all those great players i think there is one that stands out. Isiah Thomas is without doubt the second greatest point guard to ever play the game and for him to not get one i thought was very tough. Although an interesting stat was that from 1983 to 1992 all MVP awards were won by Bird Johnson and Micheal Jordan with 3 each. In Zeke's prime he was beaten to the MVP award every year by 3 of the best ever. Unlucky i thought.

So Thomas is my pick.

the only noticeable player for me (cant recall many of the old dudes) who is missing from that list is probably isiah thomas ~

i remember i was quite pissed when he wasnt selected for the '92 dream team... at that time, i really thought it was a joke that scottie pippen was on that team.. (pipps later proved to be a great player that i truly admired).. but at that time, i didnt think he should have been there...

argh.. damn.. u on here at the same time? hehe..

started writing my reply (was going to be the 2nd message), stopped to chat on the phone...

posted my message and u beat me with the isiah comment..hehe

We see eye to eye coxon on the Isiah issue. I too thought it was absolute crap that Wilkens wasnt named in the top 50 players of all time. Wilkens is 8th on the all time scoring list for gods sake!!!

And O'Neal to get in was an absolute joke, they were selected in 97...fair enough if it was selected today then he should be included but back then...im not so sure.

Rodman too i thought was harsh to miss out and he probably was left out because of his behaviour record. But to be teh greatest rebounder in the modern era and to have won 5 NBA titles!!

I mean he led the NBA in rebounding 7 years in a row, a record. Has won 5 NBA titles, has won the Defensive Player of the Year award twice, named in the all defensive first team 7 times. What more does he have to do.

The NBA 50 greatest players wasnt called the 50 most well behaved players. Rodman deserved a spot.

Originally posted by OutKast
Seriously though i'd say Isiah Thomas, with a special mention to Jerry West.

Yep, Isiah and James "The cat" Worthy always played in the shadow of Majic and Kareem, but was just as valuable in their Championships.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tough question. Isiah Thomas was a great player, but I would pick James Worthy only because I saw him play, and I know how valuable he was for the Lakers. And he is my second favourite player ever, after Magic.

Originally posted by DEVO
Tough question. Isiah Thomas was a great player, but I would pick James Worthy only because I saw him play, and I know how valuable he was for the Lakers. And he is my second favourite player ever, after Magic.

Worthy was a great player but i never thought he was capable of leading a team, he always had Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Magic to do that for him. Whereas Isiah was a leader. Not demeaning Worthy, he was a awesome player and absolutely vital to there 5 rings, much like Pippen was to Jordans 6. But Isiah i think deserved an MVP more.

Detroit

I've always been a Detroit fan, so I will say Isaiah (my favourite player of all-time), with a special mention to Joe Dumars (probably not allstar material, but very under-rated, another favourite).
Tredders#16

Originally posted by jod23

Worthy was a great player but i never thought he was capable of leading a team, he always had Kareem Abdul Jabbar and Magic to do that for him. Whereas Isiah was a leader. Not demeaning Worthy, he was a awesome player and absolutely vital to there 5 rings, much like Pippen was to Jordans 6. But Isiah i think deserved an MVP more.

Jod, I take you hate the Lakers as much as I hate Jordan?
I don't think you've had anything positive to say about them since Basketball board began.

Originally posted by DEVO

Jod, I take you hate the Lakers as much as I hate Jordan?
I don't think you've had anything positive to say about them since Basketball board began.

I hate the Lakers now because they have that big waste of space playing for them and his little MJ wanna be sidekick. Back in the 80's the Lakers ruled!! Ive always being a Bulls man but Magic Johnson is my second favourite player of all time and the 80's Lakers were awesome.

Its just not a fast break if Magic isnt leading it!

But nowadays the Lakers suck....

Yeah, I think the analogy could be drawn with Essendon Hippie.

If they had won the flag this year, noone would have "liked" them and everyone would have said that they "sucked"

Not that they wouldn't have been a great team (you know, if they'd won this year *sfellow*), but noone would have liked them!

BTW, Isaiah Thomas for me...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back