Prediction Who's the next Captain?

Who do you think should be Geelong's next captain?

• Dangerfield (31 in 2021)

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Guthrie (29 in 2021)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blicavs (30 in 2021)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Tom Stewart (28 in 2021)

Votes: 32 84.2%
  • Mark O'Connor (24 in 2021)

• Mitch Duncan (30 in 2021)

• Zach Tuohy (31 in 2021)

• Someone else (list em below!)

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

frggr

Fan Favourite (they/them)
May 16, 2012
Poland
AFL Club
Geelong
Now I'm not trying to push Joel out the door, but I noticed this was a bit of a sub-topic on the 2021 & Beyond thread and thought it might deserve it's own thread.

Whether Joel hands over the reigns before he retires or whether he takes the Captaincy right up until his last game, it's pretty clear that we'll need a new captain in the next few seasons.

There are a few schools of thought around how we do it - whether one of the VCs (Dangerfield/Blicavs) is promoted, or whether we go for someone younger (Stewart, Guthrie, Duncan), but I'm interested to see the board's thoughts.

I've included all members of the current leadership group, plus Cam Guthrie, in a poll above

Last edited:
Now I'm not trying to push Joel out the door, but I noticed this was a bit of a sub-topic on the 2021 & Beyond thread and thought it might deserve it's own thread.

Whether Joel hands over the reigns before he retires or whether he takes the Captaincy right up until his last game, it's pretty clear that we'll need a new captain in the next few seasons.

There are a few schools of thought around how we do it - whether one of the VCs (Dangerfield/Blicavs) is promoted, or whether we go for someone younger (Stewart, Guthrie, Duncan), but I'm interested to see the board's thoughts. I've included all members of the current leadership group, plus Cam Guthrie.
Stewart I think.

Me too - speaks well, worked his arse off to make it into the AFL so doesn't take it lightly, plays in defence (which is my non-negotiable!) and has a bit of aggro.
For sure. I don’t think Joel will give up the captaincy before he retires though. Expect him to have it for at least 1 more year. Possibly 2.

I think Stewart is a clear stand-out at this point. In an era where I see a dearth of quality on-field leaders at the club (Selsy aside), he seems head and shoulders above the rest to me. And does also speak well when the opportunity arises.

Only question might be his standing amongst the playing group. But surely there's incredible respect across the list for how he goes about his footy as a baseline there as well.

Looks a really good prospect to me.

I wonder whether Sel will take a step back in favour of Danger. Less pressure in his last year or two.
Would be awesome if it could rejuvenate him to the extent it has Boak.

Me too - speaks well, worked his arse off to make it into the AFL so doesn't take it lightly, plays in defence (which is my non-negotiable!) and has a bit of aggro.
And he's a genuinely nice guy overall. Doesnt get sucked into bad behaviour on or off the field.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back