goyoucatters

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 31, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Stockport County, Chicago Cubs
For those who think the time has come for Scott (still think you're whistling to think the club is paying him out in the current climate, of course), who are we getting instead?

All very well to say the team he coaches is not getting it done in finals. That is absolutely true at this point. But who is actually available and quite likely to improve the outcome? You've still got to make the finals in good shape to contend, something the current coach has achieved many times.

Are we looking to poach a current coach? Call up a previous success story, and hope they've still got it? Or go with the latest gun assistant who is totally unproven in the big chair?

Genuinely interested to hear what posters think the answer is here. Because if the answer is little more than 'Anyone but Scott', I can understand why the club is not remotely interested in heeding the baying for blood coming from the ABS crew.

Many have noted that he's probably a good coach and not a great coach. So, if a great coach is required, who exactly is out there that instills confidence they could both get the team into a contending ladder position after H&A and then elicit better performances in finals?

Without a compelling case for someone who could actually fill that remit, the club would actually be completely irresponsible to just jettison a contracted coach who is seeing us play finals virtually every year.

So, is it Clarkson? Is it Roos? Is it Caracella? Is it reasonable to think that any of these candidates would come, and do better if they did?

And, before the glib 'nobody could do worse' replies start bouncing in, we've ended up finishing in the final four teams in five of the last nine completed seasons (with 2020 still a live possibility on that front as well). That's hardly a record that justifies bringing in 'anyone', on the basis we couldn't possibly do any worse.

So, who do you see it could be? And under what foreseeable circumstances could they come before Scott's current tenure is concluded?

Excellent OP.

I'd like to see us bring in a replacement coach (and make no secret about the intention to make them head coach after 2021) and for that person to act as head coach in several of the 2021 H&A rounds with Scott taking a complete break during those weeks.

Luke Hodge has an excellent brain and wouldn't take anything less than total effort from the squad. If he could be enticed to sign on I'd take him.

Scarlo would be my first choice in all honesty

they need a stronger voice and fresh ideas

he is done

Everything you hear Scarlo say publicly suggests he entirely endorses the current style of play, though. Favourite current player is Kolo and has talked of 'defending with the ball'. And, based on his playing career, his people management skills would clearly have to be questionable as well.

Just can't see that appointment really changing things. Or ending well, for that matter.

Excellent OP.

I'd like to see us bring in a replacement coach (and make no secret about the intention to make them head coach after 2021) and for that person to act as head coach in several of the 2021 H&A rounds with Scott taking a complete break during those weeks.

Luke Hodge has an excellent brain and wouldn't take anything less than total effort from the squad. If he could be enticed to sign on I'd take him.

I also like the idea of Hodge as a reader of the game, and an uncompromising voice with proven success in recent years.

Wouldn't be game to take him on as a head coach at this point, though. Hasn't done any apprenticeship anywhere. With the breadth of the role these days (which will probably grow with contractions to the soft cap), I think that experience within the coaching ranks is actually a vital element of any reasonable candidate's CV.

Last edited:
People will hate me saying his name....
Luke Hodge for me... if not him il( ill get another hate letter ) Sam Mitchell...
But I also wouldn't mind Scarlett, but on Scarlett, do you think he would like to take the top job?

People will hate me saying his name....
Luke Hodge for me... if not him il( ill get another hate letter ) Sam Mitchell...
But I also wouldn't mind Scarlett, but on Scarlett, do you think he would like to take the top job?

I was going to say the same thing, but he just might not have enough experience yet.

He ain't going anywhere for at least 2 years and probably more like 4-5 years.
We need to get some good young players in first and less of the Hungry Jack type.
Then I would prefer a coach who was less tactical and doesn't want to win games from the box but let's the players do it ( if they're talented enough). See some good footy.
Second best player ive ever seen at our club but a Big No to Scarlett for me.

As you said we have 2 years of Scott, and highly doubtful we see a payout of 2 years under the current circumstances

One key change that should have happened a couple of years ago though is a change in the assistant coaching ranks:

Rahilly: VFL assistant coach 2008/09, assistant coach 2010 -> 2015, forward coach 2016, & not sure he's current role

Lappin: assistance coach since 2009

Knights: VFL coach 2012 -> 2014, midfield coach since 2015

O'Bree: assistance coach 2013/14, development coach 2015 & VFL coach since 2016

Scarlett: development coach in 2015, backline coach since 2016

Enright: development coach 2017, forward line coach since about 2017/2018 I believe.

Grigg: development coach since 2020

So we have 2 assistant coaches who have been at the club longer than Scott, and another 2 who joined within 2 years of Scott - so 4 long term assistant coaches, who every couple of years take on a new role within the coaching ranks but not really providing a new voice

Scarlett went elsewhere for his apprenticeship before returning to Geelong, and while I love seeing our strong defensive unit - we haven't really developed any attacking defenders or drive from the backline under him

Enright is a club legend but not sold on his immediate appointment to the coaching ranks. He turned 39 last month, and when you consider he was drafted in 1999 it means he's spent over half his life (or basically all his adult life) at the football club. It's not about not having former (club) players in the coaching ranks, but asking if there's benefit to them spending time elsewhere & experiencing time/life at a different club, and if there's a different perspective they can then bring

Feels like we've had very minimal changes in our assistant coaching ranks over recent years - since Scott is likely here for another 2 years, why not have a clean out of our assistant ranks, get some fresh faces, blood & ideas in that way and see we can rejuvenate things that way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another thing - still love Enright, but any chance we can appoint a forward line coach who actually played as a forward and understands the life of a forward?

Our current coaches were either predominantly midfielders (Rahilly, Lappin, Knights, Grigg & O'Bree) or defenders (Scott, Scarlett & Enright)

How do at not have a former forward in our coaching ranks somewhere

As you said we have 2 years of Scott, and highly doubtful we see a payout of 2 years under the current circumstances

One key change that should have happened a couple of years ago though is a change in the assistant coaching ranks:

Rahilly: VFL assistant coach 2008/09, assistant coach 2010 -> 2015, forward coach 2016, & not sure he's current role

Lappin: assistance coach since 2009

Knights: VFL coach 2012 -> 2014, midfield coach since 2015

O'Bree: assistance coach 2013/14, development coach 2015 & VFL coach since 2016

Scarlett: development coach in 2015, backline coach since 2016

Enright: development coach 2017, forward line coach since about 2017/2018 I believe.

Grigg: development coach since 2020

So we have 2 assistant coaches who have been at the club longer than Scott, and another 2 who joined within 2 years of Scott - so 4 long term assistant coaches, who every couple of years take on a new role within the coaching ranks but not really providing a new voice

Scarlett went elsewhere for his apprenticeship before returning to Geelong, and while I love seeing our strong defensive unit - we haven't really developed any attacking defenders or drive from the backline under him

Enright is a club legend but not sold on his immediate appointment to the coaching ranks. He turned 39 last month, and when you consider he was drafted in 1999 it means he's spent over half his life (or basically all his adult life) at the football club. It's not about not having former (club) players in the coaching ranks, but asking if there's benefit to them spending time elsewhere & experiencing time/life at a different club, and if there's a different perspective they can then bring

Feels like we've had very minimal changes in our assistant coaching ranks over recent years - since Scott is likely here for another 2 years, why not have a clean out of our assistant ranks, get some fresh faces, blood & ideas in that way and see we can rejuvenate things that way

Who would you think would be good to bring in? And who should we let go?
Hodge as an assistant is an obvious choice to bring in. But I'm sure many clubs would be asking

It's not just Chris Scott, it's the whole team to be honest. But getting a new team requires a new coach, in my mind.
New coach would have to bring in his own assistants you would think. Bar 1 or 2 max. Pointless making that change and keeping the same old, same old.

Then he would need to have a player clean out of the dead wood.

I think we would go after a long term assistant with experience. Like Chris Scott was. Scott Burns or something? I don't know.

Another thing - still love Enright, but any chance we can appoint a forward line coach who actually played as a forward and understands the life of a forward?

Our current coaches were either predominantly midfielders (Rahilly, Lappin, Knights, Grigg & O'Bree) or defenders (Scott, Scarlett & Enright)

How do at not have a former forward in our coaching ranks somewhere
Because forwards are the devil according to scott. He'd play 22 defenders if he could get away with it.

We don't have a ruck coach because Chris can't find a defender who can do it...... Yet.

Who would you think would be good to bring in? And who should we let go?
Hodge as an assistant is an obvious choice to bring in. But I'm sure many clubs would be asking

I'd be moving on the 4 long term guys - Rahilly, Lappin, Knights & O'Bree; nothing wrong with individuals who want to be career assistant coaches & not have the pressure of being a senior coach, but do they have a shelf life in terms of value within one environment?

Keeping Grigg - not sure if he stays on as the development coach or moves into a new role, as it seems we change development coaches every year or 2. Considering development coaches tend to work with 1st - 3rd year players, I'd like to see stability in that role rather than these seemingly regular change

Can't think of a team that wouldn't want Hodge - love to have him at the club if he wants to move to Geelong

A maybe less popular option but someone I've enjoyed listening to this year and can tell they have an understanding of the strategic side things is Jordan Lewis

Wish we went after Roughead last year, or wonder if someone like Riewoldt would want to move into coaching.

I'm thinking that a guy like Ratugolea (while he may 22 & 40 games under his belt, so not a completely raw kid), could really benefit from working with an experienced tall forward, and surely it's beneficial to have a former forward actually coaching forwards

There'd be others also, but would need more time to think and look at names - great players don't necessarily make good coaches, but rather want to look at those who have an understanding of the game

I'd be moving on the 4 long term guys - Rahilly, Lappin, Knights & O'Bree; nothing wrong with individuals who want to be career assistant coaches & not have the pressure of being a senior coach, but do they have a shelf life in terms of value within one environment?

Keeping Grigg - not sure if he stays on as the development coach or moves into a new role, as it seems we change development coaches every year or 2. Considering development coaches tend to work with 1st - 3rd year players, I'd like to see stability in that role rather than these seemingly regular change

Can't think of a team that wouldn't want Hodge - love to have him at the club if he wants to move to Geelong

A maybe less popular option but someone I've enjoyed listening to this year and can tell they have an understanding of the strategic side things is Jordan Lewis

Wish we went after Roughead last year, or wonder if someone like Riewoldt would want to move into coaching.

I'm thinking that a guy like Ratugolea (while he may 22 & 40 games under his belt, so not a completely raw kid), could really benefit from working with an experienced tall forward, and surely it's beneficial to have a former forward actually coaching forwards

There'd be others also, but would need more time to think and look at names - great players don't necessarily make good coaches, but rather want to look at those who have an understanding of the game

Rahilly is already gone, was told 3 months ago his contract won't be renewed. I cannot remember where, but he found a role elsewhere.

Someone whose first instinct isn't to play a 'defence first' style of football. Preferably someone whose ideology is about 'playing the game as it should be played'.

Here here - thats why im quite looking forward to tonights game - both sides at least they move the ball quickly -take a few risks etc

Watching Geel play - is like watching that Russian bloke play chess - the time they take over every decision

The coach i would like the most is Peter Sumich - and what i base that on - last year or the year before on the radio he was giving the pre game thoughts between W/Coast v Coll over in Perth ( and at the time Coll had lost 3-4 in a row they were going shocking ) And Sumich said - look the Magpies are going very ordinary at present - why dont they take a few risks - play some corridor football - get a bit of excitement back in their game - when i heard that i thought that - i thought this is music to my ears

Sumich is an ex full forward - kicked 6 goals in the 92 GF - i think he would place an emphasis on kicking goals - if he backed up those words - with a similar game plan at Geelong - then i think he would be a sensational appointment

Geelong would actually be worth watching again - you would look forward to watching them again

Remove this Banner Ad

Back