Poetic Justice

i will touch the sun or i will die trying
Wordler
Jun 21, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Might need to find one
I don't think it can come from within. It has to be someone that the players aren't initially in a comfort zone with.

I do however think that the current issues we are suffering from are not just limited to Chris though.

1. Hinkley - I said at the time he should have got the job before Scott.

2. Caracella

3, Johnson

We also need Joel Corey back to become our midfield coach ... teach them about workrate and positioning at stoppages.

Or we could just appoint Brad Scott

Bye now.

Herne Hill Hammer

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jun 22, 2008
AFL Club
Geelong
I feel he would be too out there tactically ...brilliant mind but I don’t think he could make that leap to top job personally

Bomber always said of everyone he coached, Stevie was the most likely.

Get the magic man back at the Cattery. It might be like having Blighty again, a hell of a ride.

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
In my opinion if we moved on Scott you'd have to go for an experienced option to fill the seat.

This is mostly because I am in the camp of people who believe we have a list that can compete for the flag and will continue to have one for another year or two, and even longer if we can grab a few important trade/FA signings this off-season. Therefore you want someone who can come in and knows how to engage with the players immediately. Who can find a way to reinspire and motivate them to compete and has enough experience to identify what works with this game plan and the list we have and what doesnt. The candidates that fill one or all of those requirements are Clarkson, Worsfold (dont hate, just a suggestion), McCartney, Sanderson, Bolton and Lyon (off the top of my head).

Beyond that you'd be looking at assistant coaches who have been around a very long time and have been involved at successful clubs in that period. This is where my knowledge runs out to name name's but there would have to be options available in this bracket. Though they would be less desirable than the experienced head coach option.

Finally if those two options dont fly, you'd have to go with an assistant already at the club. This would mean either promoting Knights or Lappin, or prematurely promoting someone like Enright or Scarlett to the role. This path has, in my view the least going for it, as I dont have much confidence in Knights or Lappin (and I think they'd be gone if we changed head coaches), and I think it's a lot to ask of Scarlo and Enright to make that step up at this point.

Obviously, Clarkson is the one you'd want to get, but I doubt he'll be moved out of Hawthorn 2 years before his current contract is up. But, if we offered him enough money, and with a list that is still "in the window" compared to one that is in genuine rebuild mode...Maybe he will be able to come over here and correct some of the reason why he thinks we "arent actually that good".

Is it? There seems to be quite a few who agreed with me that Hodge would be an excellent coach for the GFC. Has onyone actually said he wouldn't be a good choice?
That was my thinking - sure, we may not support Hawthorn during the season, laugh at their apparent trading strategy and stuff like that, but I get the impression most actually do respect Hawthorn & especially certain players. Separation of Hawthorn the club to individual personnel connected to the club

Guys like Hodge & Mitchell have all been spoken about highly in terms of potential coaching credentials

Not sure many would turn down Roughead if he was open to moving from St Kilda

I've really enjoyed listen to and reading Jordan Lewis with his game analysis & tactical knowledge

I'm sure there's others also - besides, why wouldn't you want to bring players from successful clubs into your coaching ranks

Nov 7, 2010
308 Negra Arroyo Lane Albuquerque New Mexico
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
WADA
I'm not a Scott fan I wanted him gone 5 years ago,but now he's only a small part of our woes,we need a complete overhaul of the coaching staff and a new fresh look at team selection, I feel the current selectors are just going through the motions each week picking a best 22 based on popularity with no regard for team balance,structure or a side where we have some room to make changes with in games when things are not working.
I can't see us sacking Scott now it's not been the Geelong way but we can start managing out others while we look for a head coach.

CharacterFirst

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 25, 2011
A wilful, lavish land.
AFL Club
Geelong
I think you would find SJ would be a disaster as a senior coach at Geelong. Maybe - MAYBE - in 10 years time with more experience, humility, maturity etc.

Hodge would be a great assistant - his natural leadership would be outstanding. But he is not ready for a senior role.

I would avoid any former GFC players from our last era. Too soon, not enough experience etc.

I can't see any former coaches floating around who would be as rounded and successful as Scott. Remember, Scott is only 44! He is coming into his prime coaching years this decade!

Maybe Hinkely? But......
Clarkson? Will he go again anywhere else? Seems unlikely to me.
Lyon - yeah, nah.

Geelong also have criteria for a senior coach. It is elite and most don't match up.

In fact, I really cannot think of anyone better for the job ATS than Scott.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Incredible how many are saying Luke Hodge. Employing someone with no coaching experience at all as head coach of a modern AFL team? Perhaps we could deck Hodge out in flares, a polyester shirt and sideboards, to match our 'retro' appointment.

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
A guy who was just sacked? Who led his team to even worse mediocrity than we have atm?

Yeah nah. Try to keep it realistic.

What's not realistic about a former premiership coach? He was the coach at Essendon when he was sacked not a competent club, so who knows what he would be at a well run club these days. He's record at Essendon is mitigated by the fact that as a club they are one of the worst run organisations i've ever seen in professional sports.

Id have thought no name would be off the board in a thread like this as it is about discussion of potential replacements after all. Nowhere does it say at the top of this thread that: "oh but Down at K Park has to approve all potential candidates before they can be discussed". If you dont like the name then form an argument for why he'd not be a good candidate. You know, like you do in a discussion.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
I also like the idea of Hodge as a reader of the game, and an uncompromising voice with proven success in recent years.

Wouldn't be game to take him on as a head coach at this point, though. Hasn't done any apprenticeship anywhere. With the breadth of the role these days (which will probably grow with contractions to the soft cap), I think that experience within the coaching ranks is actually a vital element of any reasonable candidate's CV.
The competitor in him would want to take on Clarko too.

I'm not usually one to criticise coaching staff as they can't go out and kick the goals for their players but one thing that stands out to me is our post-bye record coupled with our first week of finals record. What is going on there? That is coaching related, players don't forget how to play footy - there is an issue with preparation or something. There needs to be changes made.

Jun 5, 2007
AFL Club
Geelong
After lurking for a bit I finally started an account. This is my first post so a little nervous!

Love the idea of both Luke Hodge or Stevie J for very different reasons.

Since the Dogs fired J Corey this year, hire him as an assistant too. I don't think he and Scotty clicked all that much so I can't see him coming home until Scott is gone.
Welcome you'll go fine. Just neither giveth nor taketh any crap ;)

Back