Analysis Who's the next coach, then?

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
What's not realistic about a former premiership coach? He was the coach at Essendon when he was sacked not a competent club, so who knows what he would be at a well run club these days. He's record at Essendon is mitigated by the fact that as a club they are one of the worst run organisations i've ever seen in professional sports.

Id have thought no name would be off the board in a thread like this as it is about discussion of potential replacements after all. Nowhere does it say at the top of this thread that: "oh but Down at K Park has to approve all potential candidates before they can be discussed". If you dont like the name then form an argument for why he'd not be a good candidate. You know, like you do in a discussion.
Are you go to sook at all the other posters pointing out coaches who are no good, or just me?

Nowhere in the thread title does it say people can’t discuss others choices. And i did say why. Cause he just got sacked for doing nothing to move the bombers forward. Not my fault you chose to ignore that.

And you are also forgetting the drug culture at west coast worsfold turned a blind eye to. How anyone could suggest he’s a good choice for coach is beyond me.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I wouldn’t be so sure they don’t get rid of Scott. Sure it would be expensive but not sure if they fail that Scott doesn’t go himself. I just have this feeling he’s at the end of his tether.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SkittleCats

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Kardinia Park
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Packers & Red Sox
Are you go to sook at all the other posters pointing out coaches who are no good, or just me?

Nowhere in the thread title does it say people can’t discuss others choices. And i did say why. Cause he just got sacked for doing nothing to move the bombers forward. Not my fault you chose to ignore that.

And you are also forgetting the drug culture at west coast worsfold turned a blind eye to. How anyone could suggest he’s a good choice for coach is beyond me.

There are a lot of reasons Essendon havent moved anywhere recently, very few of them have anything to do with Worsfold and a lot to do with their incompetent list management. Blaming everything on the coach is a very short sighted and naive take on what happened at Essendon.

Tony Barber

Premiership Player
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
A guy who was just sacked? Who led his team to even worse mediocrity than we have atm?

Yeah nah. Try to keep it realistic.
Worsfold wasnt sacked. That was a planned hand over from way back. Not just last year.

And I wouldn't be worried.
He's just spent 4 years living away from home. Ie. His wife and kids have never left Perth to be with him.

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Worsfold wasnt sacked. That was a planned hand over from way back. Not just last year.

And I wouldn't be worried.
He's just spent 4 years living away from home. Ie. His wife and kids have never left Perth to be with him.
Cause they were too gutless to sack him, so came up with the old we don’t want you, and here’s the guy who is replacing you in 12 months time.

It’s as good as being sacked, just doesn’t carry the same stigma. They told him he was being replaced, they didn’t do it by agreement.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Do wonder if Steve Johnson is our next coach.
He will be an assistant coach at GWS for the next year. He'd make a brilliant tactician. Was virtually a player/coach when he played for us and at GWS.
Is also rumored to be a student of the game and lives, breathes everything football.

I think he'd be Geelong's next coach :thumbsu:

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Johnson has a new contract, at GWS. It's for three years I think. Apparently happy in Sydney.

With football departments shrinking, I doubt there will be much coach movement over the next few years.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
I think Scott will go at the end of his contract, even if Geelong were to pinch a flag. He's a 21st century coach, and would know how crucial it is that leadership/management roles are turned over at certain point. He will have suitors if he wants to continue coaching.

Hawthorn are at that point now with Clarkson, hence Kennett publicly putting an 'expiration date' on the Clarkson era.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Has no coaching experience. Not even as an assistant.

Doesn't mean much to a player who has been involved in the game as long as what he has.
Not to mention, he has been tutored by the best in the business and experienced a different perspective at another club in QLD.
Has also captained Hawthorn and captained International rules teams.
If ever there was ever a bloke who could walk into a coaching role, similar to how Matthews did with just a year of experience, it is that guy.

Aug 16, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Doesn't mean much to a player who has been involved in the game as long as what he has.
Not to mention, he has been tutored by the best in the business and experienced a different perspective at another club in QLD.
If ever there was ever a bloke who could walk into a coaching role, similar to how Matthews did with just a year of experience, it is that guy.
team.

The likelihood today of any AFL club giving the head coaching position to an ex-player without a considerable coaching apprenticeship behind them is very slim. Being captain or in a leadership role is very different to managing an AFL team. It would be a throw back to the VFL days. But as you say, nothing has changed in the last 50 years, so why not.

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
The likelihood today of any AFL club giving the head coaching position to an ex-player without a considerable coaching apprenticeship behind them is very slim. Being captain or in a leadership role is very different to managing an AFL team. It would be a throw back to the VFL days. But as you say, nothing has changed in the last 50 years, so why not.

Have you ever coached at a high level such as seniors footy before?

Hinkley29

Premiership Player
Jan 25, 2008
the heart of darkness
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
StL Cards, THFC, South Sydney
It’s hard to argue that a good bloke who has captained an international rules team shouldn‘t be our next coach. coaching experience be damned

Back