List Mgmt. Who's trade period did you like the most

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo and Port the best, Collingwood, North and Gold Coast the worst.

Essendon will seriously blow some teams off the park next year. If they get their fair share of ball they are going to be an absolute nightmare to stop. They'll be electric.

But they didn't address contested ball issues, no defensive running issues.

Gutsy moves though, and I'd be excited if I was a Dons fan.

They blew a few off the park this year, but the difference between best and worst is massive.

Going to be an odd one but i reckon Gold Coast are one of the winners in this draft period.
Managed to bring in three experienced aged players that can help them straight away while stockpiling picks for the super draft next year.
As Clayton said, giving up pick 2 was fine since the last two years they have drafted i think 8 under 18's to their team.

In: Lachie Weller, Harrison Wigg, Aaron Young, picks 19, 41, 50, 54, 2018 first-round pick (West Coast), 2018 second-round pick (Essendon), 2018 second-round pick (Geelong), 2018 third-round pick (Fremantle)

Out: Gary Ablett, Brandon Matera, Adam Saad, picks 2, 21, 24, 26, 37, 39, 2018 second-round pick, 2018 fourth-round pick

Essendon for sure. Turned one single pick (pick 11) into 3 players. Did trade their second rounder to us but also gained a future second rounder from GWS. Dodoro is a god

But did they pick good players? All the horse trading in the world doesnt amount to much if the 3 players they brought in dont perform. All it will mean is that they overpaid by less. Stringer may perform for them, but you wouldnt put your house on it, would you?

But did they pick good players? All the horse trading in the world doesnt amount to much if the 3 players they brought in dont perform. All it will mean is that they overpaid by less. Stringer may perform for them, but you wouldnt put your house on it, would you?

Well if 1 out of the 3 turns out alright for them, that’s already a big win?

Essendon for sure. Turned one single pick (pick 11) into 3 players. Did trade their second rounder to us but also gained a future second rounder from GWS. Dodoro is a god
Essendon's trade period is the sort that looks great on paper.

But the three they've brought in have massive question marks on them and if one turns out to be a bust they've traded themselves out to a pick in the 40s or 50s as their first pick this year.

Saad - looks great streaming out of defence but can't actually defend. Might be better where he takes the 6th best forward but in some teams that's actually a good player.

Dev Smith - Good kid but very small with a ruined knee. He's young but won't get to the standard he promised early in his career, he's about Honeychurch size when they already have a midget midfield but their rationale is to get him in the midfield. Doesn't actually make sense.

Stringer - Big risk to give him 4 years and I doubt he'll ever have the tank to play significant midfield time. Keeps saying he'll be the next Dusty, Dusty entered the system with a mid 14s beep and played midfield/forward in his first year
Additionally, Stringer is a gun small forward but is soft no doubt about it. I mentioned it before but he wont; crash a pack and bring the ball to ground and his spectacular goals all come from avoiding body contact not grunt.

The draft sucks after the first 25-30 picks according to the experts so they're stuck with at least 3 kids they have to draft for two years who are against the odds to make it. I'm not buying the hype - Port had a much better trade period than they did and it's 50/50 that our three acquisitions play more games than Essendon's trades except we have 2 first round picks and they have nothing.

Additionally, Essendon have stated many times they need a big bodied inside mid and the only player that fits that bill went to Carlton from GWS for picks that we gave Carlton as part of a pick swap.

Port killed it, lost nobody in their best 22, lost one pick (31) and brought in three players who will probably play round 1 next year.
We got two best 22 players plus Schache a former pick 2 two years ago and have two first round picks this year. After the madness of yesterday I think we did spectacularly well, especially considering one kid we brought in for nothing (Crozier) had more contested marks than Stringer last year and can play a variety of roles.

I f##king hate that we were a part of it but Essendon's trade period was one of the best ever.
I remember the year that Brisbane sold the farm to trade in Fevola and a bunch of other experienced players, they were widely praised for winning trade week. How does that looks now with hindsight?

I f##king hate that we were a part of it but Essendon's trade period was one of the best ever.

Can't see it tbh. I get their trade period looks sexy and they are stocked with talent now but still lack ball winners and defensive pressure will be suspect- won't hold up in finals in my view.

In the sense that they had three targets and got them all then they absolutely nailed it. Dodoro did his job and then some.

Personally, I agree with the Freo and Melbourne calls. Wilson is great, and pick 2. Melbourne had their target and went and got him, and their list looks great all over the park imo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not a fan of Ports work. Recruited cream players in Watts and Motlop. Can't see standing up to finals heat.

Rockliff a reasonable pick up.

Carlton has turned Gibbs into Kennedy, P10, our 18 2nd rd, P30 etc.

Carlron second only to Freo who did really well.

Our work can only be judged on Schache. A move that I wasn't in favour of. If he doesn't work out it has been a massive bust. No amount of revisionism on Stringer changes that we mismanaged his trade and got unders. I liked Trengove's recruitment. Crozier fairly meh. Trading our 18 second was horrible.

Winners:

Essendon are selling hope; both to fans that have had nothing to cheer for years and to blokes like Hooker, Zaharakis and Hurley that are pushing 30 and 200 games in the next couple years with no success to speak of. They’ve tried to change the narrative about their club and made some improvements to their best 22. Given their modest ambitions, the trade period was a success for them.

Port is trying to win a flag and acted accordingly. They’re all in and went and got the best talent they could at whatever price. Being able to swap Gray & Rockliff is a great luxury, and Motlop & Watts will relish being lesser lights in a talented team, away from the spotlight. They’re not going to die wondering.

Melbourne got their man and completed their list build. They’re ready for their finals shot now. They cleared out Watts, one of the last real albatrosses from the #fistedforever era. I liked that move for club & player. Balic could be a bit of a steal.

Losers:

GWS quietly got much shallower. Mumford, Johnson, Wilson, Kennedy and Smith all gone. Shaw, Deledio & Griffen on their last legs and wouldn’t surprise if all pulled the pin next year. If they have another injury riddled year they won’t get anywhere near a flag. They needed to replace some of their outs with ready made players and didn’t. Was their window 16/17?

North. Not sure if there’s a genuine plan for what they’re doing right now. Chopping Gibson was really odd (partic. when they kept geriatric Waite despite a glut of ruck/forwards) and they probably could have gotten at least a usable pick for him if they hadn’t effectively delisted him before trade week. Really needed to add some talent and couldn’t. Grim.

Last edited:
Should be 'whose'. 'Who's' = Who is

wwe-new-day-rocks.jpg

Losers:

GWS quietly got much shallower. Mumford, Johnson, Wilson, Kennedy and Smith all gone. Shaw, Deledio & Griffen on their last legs and wouldn’t surprise if all pulled the pin next year. If they have another injury riddled year they won’t get anywhere near a flag. They needed to replace some of their outs with ready made players and didn’t. Was their window 16/17?

Agreed. Good observation, otherwise lost among the media's Bomber dick pulling and throwing s**t on us.

Winners:

Essendon are selling hope; both to fans that have had nothing to cheer for years and to blokes like Hooker, Zaharakis and Hurley that are pushing 30 and 200 games in the next couple years with no success to speak of. They’ve tried to change the narrative about their club and made some improvements to their best 22. Given their modest ambitions, the trade period was a success for them.

Agreed. Good observation, otherwise lost among the media's Bomber dick pulling and throwing s**t on us.
I didn't see anyone in the media comment that Essendon failed to improve their midfield during trade week. Clearly their midfield wan't up to it against the best teams in 2017 and none of their additions will improve their midfield.

We directly addressed our needs for more KPD and KPF stocks. Essendon didn't address their biggest need for bid-bodied midfielders.

I didn't see anyone in the media comment that Essendon failed to improve their midfield during trade week. Clearly their midfield wan't up to it against the best teams in 2017 and none of their additions will improve their midfield.

We directly addressed our needs for more KPD and KPF stocks. Essendon didn't address their biggest need for bid-bodied midfielders.

True. It’s worth noting Watson, despite being ultra cooked, was still second at their club in clearances. But I get the impression they’re going to try and win games with an entirely run & gun style. It’s a bold strategy, Cotton. I think teams like Syd, GWS, Melb, Ade will slaughter them. I’m quietly confident we’ll account for them again too.

And really, I think in large part they were just trying to make a splash, not necessarily address their weaknesses, hence my ‘modest ambitions’ comment.

Last edited:
Not a fan of Ports work. Recruited cream players in Watts and Motlop. Can't see standing up to finals heat.

Rockliff a reasonable pick up.

Carlton has turned Gibbs into Kennedy, P10, our 18 2nd rd, P30 etc.

Carlron second only to Freo who did really well.

Our work can only be judged on Schache. A move that I wasn't in favour of. If he doesn't work out it has been a massive bust. No amount of revisionism on Stringer changes that we mismanaged his trade and got unders. I liked Trengove's recruitment. Crozier fairly meh. Trading our 18 second was horrible.

Can't see Motlop standing up to finals heat??

Trade week winners, seems to come down to who was most active. I might be biased, but I really like who we brought in, Trengove has the Bulldog ethos of team first and can help out in the ruck as well as take the big forwards. Crozier by reports has never been played to his strengths, no wonder he wanted to come to the Bulldogs and have a coach like Bevo. Schache was worth the gamble, if he can return to his 2016 form in a team that will win more than three games (all that he has played in) then another win, although we need to be patient as he is only 20.

Other winners, Essendon certainly won the media award, Saad is a good player, we would have been pleased to get him if we could, question marks on Smith and GWS might have made out like bandits. Stringer will kill it next year as he has a point to prove, he will cause us some short term pain so if they win a premiership next year he would be worth it, but I doubt that will happen.

Port, have killed it I reckon, and as the last two premiers picked up a Geelong player prior to the premiership in Hamling and Caddy, my tip for the premiership next year;) seriously if they can gel those players in to the team successfully it will improve them that 10% they need.

I like Trengove, Crozier could be something but hasn't yet set the world on fire and Schache is a 65/35 punt (but great value punt at the price). Can't undersell that 2015 Stringer may reappear at Tulla. I get we didn't have a choice but it burns my ring that he had to go at the price he did. Super player if he ever gets his finger out of his own ego :(

Freo lubed GCS and GWS and had themselves a jolly good time.

Port need exactly what they got to go up a level. Ryder, Rockcliff, Wines, Boak, Powell-Pepper (a year older) surrounded by Gray, Wingard, Motlop, Hartlett? If that's as good as it looks on paper they are going to be very solid in every element through the guts next year!

Freo wins in my opinion
I actually either read or heard somewhere that Crozier is the type of player that could be categorised as an instinct player. He plays with instinct and flair (Stringer anybody?). He was supposedly showing a consistent career trend at Freo but then Ross the Boss came in and sets up a style that every player is not allowed to move out of a particular zone or not allowed to go for marks or do instinctive things. When this occurred Crozier started to stagnate a little.
If we give him a loose leash to play his own style as long as he is accountable i truly believe we will have one of the recruits of the year.
Look at his TAC highlights, he used to take hangars every week like Jeremy Howe does. Hold onto your hats Doggies fans this cat is going to light it up.
As Ric Flair would say WOOOOOO

I thought Carlton were the clear winners in trade week. Good picks and handy additions for the loss of an aging but still very good star.
The next best were Port Adelaide. My only concern with them is they are an aging list and have brought in older players whilst losing Impey and Ah Chee who are younger. They offloaded Trengove but hes hardly veteran at 26 years old.

I thought Carlton were the clear winners in trade week. Good picks and handy additions for the loss of an aging but still very good star.
The next best were Port Adelaide. My only concern with them is they are an aging list and have brought in older players whilst losing Impey and Ah Chee who are younger. They offloaded Trengove but hes hardly veteran at 26 years old.

For mine, veteran = > 30

Remove this Banner Ad

Back