The Law Whose land are you occupying?

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I don't believe you genuinely thought he was saying you personally stole land.

Correct but I cannot not nor anyone else read his thoughts, so when the statement 'we' are responsible for stealing land then that indeed implies 'we' doesn't it.

If you got somethin to say, then it's not unreasonable to say what you think for the benefit of 'we'. I also hope Eddie takes note.

Correct but I cannot not nor anyone else read his thoughts, so when the statement 'we' are responsible for stealing land then that indeed implies 'we' doesn't it.

If you got somethin to say, then it's not unreasonable to say what you think for the benefit of 'we'. I also hope Eddie takes note.
Yeah, try not to be completely literal.

nobbyiscool

Cancelled
WWE Board Goosed Sweet F.A Sikh Volunteers Charity Match Tasmanian Team NFL Fantasy Comp Champion Armchair Endzone Major Comp Champion
Aug 11, 2006
Does anyone here have school-aged kids?

I'd be curious to learn whether kids these days are taught "real" history of stolen land, genocide and how Aboriginal nations interacted in what was actually a really advanced system of quasi-democracy and bartering. I only finished high school in 2000, and even in the mid-90s I was being taught Terra Nullius and "the Aborigines dying out."

And the more you know... because of the jobs I've done, I'd been acknowledging the "Wurrundjeri people of the Kulin nation" for 4 years. I then realised about 18 months ago that some of the land I was working on (inner south eastern suburbs) wasn't black-and-white Wurrundjeri land. It's not that it's 'disputed' land with the Boon wurrung people, it's just that they didn't have hard borders. (Funnily enough, I went to an event that the local MP, John Kennedy opened where he acknowledged the "Wurrundjeri" people for what's "clearly" in that grey area. How does the MP not know that?)

It feels shameful now, cos I want to be progressive and informed and supportive - but going back 3-4 years my work took me to Geelong and Ballarat a little bit, and I'm ashamed to say I'd never even learned the name of Wathaurong country, so it's embedded in my brain now.

I guess that's all I ask of people in real life and on this board. I don't expect rich whites who went to St Kevins or Melbourne Grammar and ended up in great jobs through networking and nepotism (rather than ability) to immediately do a 180 and be marching at "change the date" rallies; I'm happy to accept incremental change, where maybe they'll at least understand white privilege and understand Aboriginal disadvantage and the gaps they face across life expectancy, health, education, employment and justice.

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
would like to say that I don't belong to any land at all... would like to say that me personally is noting compared to those who
come before..

would like to say hello to those who want themselves to be a beginning not an end..

look forward to talking to you soon.. not out of hate but out of recognition..

Goroyals22

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 29, 2014
AFL Club
West Coast

I'd be curious to learn whether kids these days are taught "real" history of stolen land, genocide and how Aboriginal nations interacted in what was actually a really advanced system of quasi-democracy and bartering. I only finished high school in 2000, and even in the mid-90s I was being taught Terra Nullius and "the Aborigines dying out."

And the more you know... because of the jobs I've done, I'd been acknowledging the "Wurrundjeri people of the Kulin nation" for 4 years. I then realised about 18 months ago that some of the land I was working on (inner south eastern suburbs) wasn't black-and-white Wurrundjeri land. It's not that it's 'disputed' land with the Boon wurrung people, it's just that they didn't have hard borders. (Funnily enough, I went to an event that the local MP, John Kennedy opened where he acknowledged the "Wurrundjeri" people for what's "clearly" in that grey area. How does the MP not know that?)

It feels shameful now, cos I want to be progressive and informed and supportive - but going back 3-4 years my work took me to Geelong and Ballarat a little bit, and I'm ashamed to say I'd never even learned the name of Wathaurong country, so it's embedded in my brain now.

I guess that's all I ask of people in real life and on this board. I don't expect rich whites who went to St Kevins or Melbourne Grammar and ended up in great jobs through networking and nepotism (rather than ability) to immediately do a 180 and be marching at "change the date" rallies; I'm happy to accept incremental change, where maybe they'll at least understand white privilege and understand Aboriginal disadvantage and the gaps they face across life expectancy, health, education, employment and justice.

Any chance I can sub you into any welcome to country ceremony that occurs where I go because it obviously mean more to you than me especially those done just for the heck of it by no one with any aboriginal heritage.

Oct 17, 2000
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Fitzroy Football Club
I'd be curious to learn whether kids these days are taught "real" history of stolen land, genocide and how Aboriginal nations interacted in what was actually a really advanced system of quasi-democracy and bartering.

Good history teaching involves presenting multiple perspectives in any historical issue where there is disagreement. Most schools would address in some way the differing interpretations of the history of the British colonisation of Australia.

Jan 12, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
1613252130291.png

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs

I would hope that kids are still being taught Terra Nullius - historically it’s a pretty critical legal issue and without understanding it (along with Mabo and Wik) you can’t really understand the context of Australian history and native title

I was in school during the 90s and although the stolen generations and massacres were skimmed over a bit we did cover pre-settlement indigenous history and the post-settlement conflicts

Caesar

Ex-Huckleberry
Mar 3, 2005
Tombstone, AZ
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
High school Australian history in the bicentenary year barely touched on it beyond nice rock paintings.
We certainly didn't give a ton of attention to it

A big part of the reason we didn't focus on it was the lack of sources and evidence. A lot of high school history is about teaching kids historiographic skills, which is hard with indigenous history. Archaeological evidence is limited, oral histories have been obliterated or muddled hopelessly with mythology, and pretty much all the written sources date from post-settlement and are written from a single (i.e. European) perspective.

There is certainly value in analysing the small amount of material that does exist, and evaluating the problems with it, talking about why it's so limited, etc. But if you want to give kids the skills that historians need, you kind of have to focus the curriculum on more well-documented periods/aspects of human history.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
High school Australian history in the bicentenary year barely touched on it beyond nice rock paintings.

Apparently there was an Aboriginal who spoke English prior to the English invasion. Due to trading with Singapore.

Similar to this guy asking for a beer in english

Back