Opinion Why Adam Goodes is booed and other anthropological discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I dont want to sound flippant can you please provide some examples of this occuring to aboriginal perople in the last few years. I havent encountered any and I would be curious to see where it is still happening.
On average Indegenous Australians have a life expectancy 9 years lower than non-Indegenous Australians.
http://www.aihw.gov.au/deaths/life-expectancy/

Yeah. I'm not reading all of that. Right to kill people? No. Right to boo someone who accepts and national award whilst pissing all over the country he got it from? Absolutely. You can veer of into the whole greater social issue at hand here, but this is a football forum, and Goodes is a ****** of the highest order.

I love Port Adelaide, I love Chad Wingard, but if he decides an indigenous war dance is a good idea, you best believe I'll boo the absolute * out of him to.

I'm not saying Goodes isn't a w***er of the highest order, but there obviously is an element that is booing him because of his indigenous heritage. His war dance certainly didn't help.
Fair enough booing players. But this is beyond that now. It is constant, it is a deliberate dampaign.
Boo him in the aftermath of the Australian of the Year award and all that.
But still, in July almost into August 2015, and its still going on?

Like I said, get the * over it Australia.

Australia as a society has some serious underlying racism issues, that's why I highlighted the double standards re our tennis players. Pretending that racism isn't part of this is just part of the wider mentality of denial and turning a blind eye.

Some people say suck it up, harden up etc etc.
Well go on then, you go out there try play footy with tens of thousands of people constantly booing you every time you get a touch of the footy for weeks on end. See how well you cope.

People don't have jobs because there aren't jobs. When there are 100 people competing for a job are the 99 who miss out lazy? Seems like an odd way to judge people to me.

Anyway with this and other postings from yourself I think you need to refrain from commenting on racial issues. I'm not going to insult you but you clearly haven't experienced certain things and are talking like you know better than those who have experienced them.

Who knows maybe you have experienced extended unemployment, or been subject to the underprivilege that comes with being born a certain way. Regardless the comment above is most certainly racist, and to those defending the boo-ers. Opinions like these are why you should stop defending them.
I am voicing my opinion. Nothing more. I feel and believe what I feel and believe, my thoughts are relevant to this conversation, just as yours are. I do not particularly care if you or anyone else agrees.

The employment rate of Aboriginal people is ludicrously high compared to that of Anglo Australians. This is fact, so yes I am judging and questioning why that is the case.

Correct!

Please provide a real life practical example of how White people are discriminated against in this country at a systematic, repeatable and structural level.

I haven't been arguing that Caucasians are discriminated against on a systemic level so why you would want me to list an example of it makes no logical sense.

You appear to be operating on the narrow definition of racism that focuses solely on institutional/systemic racism to the exclusion of all other forms of racism.

The last few posts in this discussion have lost any form of rational basis and you haven't clarified what you have posted.

The lines of border racism are everywhere.
A job application (no pun intended) asks whether I am Torres Strait Islander or Aboriginal? (maybe someone knows the answer, seriously?)
In all honesty, who the **** cares? I am an Australian applying for a job. If my app and persona is good enough for the job so be it, but dont borderline it with some bullshit about what my background is.
Doesn't ask if people have an Asian or European etc. background.

Presumably you are aware that when people ask for that info (i.e government jobs) that it is meant to favour those with A/TSI backgrounds? Like on the job ad it will specifically encourage those groups to apply.

yes, and what do us poor discriminated whiteys ever get?

besides the baby bonus, first home buyer grants, private health insurance rebates, HECS, small business grants, school kids bonus, superannuation benefits, Medicare, the PBS...we get * all from the government

On average Indegenous Australians have a life expectancy 9 years lower than non-Indegenous Australians.
http://www.aihw.gov.au/deaths/life-expectancy/

I am aware of that but does any one know the reasons, are aboriginals turned away from hospitals or not given the care because they are aboriginal?

Is it because alot live in very remote areas where there is next to none health services, so relatively small health issues aren't picked up early and develop into chronic conditions.

What I am trying to get is a few examples of this systematic, repeatable structural racism.

I liken the Goodes reaction to the Gillard leadership

The majority of Australians disliked Julia because of lies and backstabbing to reach the top
Yet when she was challenged on this she branded her protagonists as Sexist and Misogynist
Does sexism and misogyny exist, absolutely yes, but it wasn't the cause of the issue

The majority of football supporters boo Adam because of his deliberate divisiveness and his conduct as a footballer
Yet when questions are raised the answer is to simply label all as Racist
Does racism exist, absolutely yes, but it isn't the cause of this issue

Oh so like me you were just 'not ready to see a women reach the top and have power' :rolleyes:

The irony is that lots of people developed a dislike for Adam because of perceived (or real) special treatment from umpires, MRP and the AFL.

And here we are, in the middle of a media and AFL campaign to stop people from booing one person in particular... :D
This. The Afl, MRP are the reason people feel he is being protected.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We should all start booing David Pocock. Grandstanding flog who needs to be taken down a peg or two, what with all his environmental activism and gay marriage advocacy. Sook.

I am aware of that but does any one know the reasons, are aboriginals turned away from hospitals or not given the care because they are aboriginal?

Is it because alot live in very remote areas where there is next to none health services, so relatively small health issues aren't picked up early and develop into chronic conditions.

What I am trying to get is a few examples of this systematic, repeatable structural racism.

The harm has been done.

It's like a troublemaking teenager, who has behavioural issues because of abuse or neglect as a child.

Sure, you can say "why is this kid such an arsehole, he's got everything he could ever want now", but when so much damage has been done to him, it's not a quick or easy fix. You can't just say that because they are equal now, everything should be fine. It's not fine. Indigenous people need our help to pull them out of the multi-generational cultural issues that were caused by everything from the genocides to the stolen generation to John Howard refusing to apologise.

We spent literally 150+ years treating these people like animals and taking away their rights, and now we expect them as a culture to just snap out of it now because everything is fine?

Let's not forget that we live in a pretty horrendously racist country.

Even if you ignore the fact that racism is still something these people experience on a daily basis, it will take longer than my lifetime to return Indigenous people to the position of dignity in society that they had taken away from them by white Europeans.

1 thing that hasn't mentioned, why the heck didn't the AFL nip this in the but when the boos 1st started?

Quality leadership shown by Gill!.

My mate is a practitioner and says that there are many problems that indigenous people face with health, there isn't a whole lot of reasoning behind it. He just said they are "genetically sick people" and that they have very poor immune systems.

I can't say why it is as I simply do not know. There is probably a lack of education, infrastructure, and general funding for those areas though. There are also cases of police brutality similar to what happens in America. Honestly if you want to know more then just look it up on google, there should be plenty of sources of information.

I dont want to sound flippant can you please provide some examples of this occuring to aboriginal perople in the last few years. I havent encountered any and I would be curious to see where it is still happening.
Believe it mate . I can drive an old car around and I have without trouble but my wife who is aboriginal gets pulled over by the first policeman we see , it's happened time and again .
My wife works at the local school , she got sent to Big W to buy a camera , her boss said to pick one out and then get them to ring for credit card details . Nope sorry this simple task wasn't allowed ( by her anyway ) her white colleague went the next day and had no problems doing the same thing .
I got pulled over by the police for no other reason than my 14 year old stepson was sitting in the front with me , the cop even said so , thought he may be gang of 49 . He then proceeded to take down the names , addresses and D.O.B of everyone in the car including my then 2 year old son .
When going for a rental property I've learnt that it's best to leave the wife home to give myself an even chance .
I could go on , it's been very interesting in that of my two stepsons the pale one has been treated infinitely better than the dark one .[/QUOTE]

There are some instances of boorish racially charged comments being made here and insult swapping between posters that will not be tolerated.

If you are trying to be provocative or have to resort to insults, don't post.

Not long ago, across the ocean, a kid took a gun on a hate crime and murdered people because the colour of their skin.

We are not that racist. Australia is still pretty low on the racist ladder. Everywhere else isn't as rosy as made out to be. There's problems, but calling Aus a racist nation is a brush you better be prepared to tar most of planet Earth with.

Last edited:
There are some instances of boorish racially charged comments being made here and insult swapping between posters that will not be tolerated.

If you are trying to be provocative or have to resort to insults, don't post.
OT but isn't it strange how hard people find it to reason while arguing some issues, and in the end the only way to "win" is to shout at the other person until they give up.

Dominance vs subordinance. It seems to me that almost all issues are resolved this way, which is both horrifying and intriguing to me.

Presumably you are aware that when people ask for that info (i.e government jobs) that it is meant to favour those with A/TSI backgrounds? Like on the job ad it will specifically encourage those groups to apply.

They are starting from a far more disadvantaged position then anyone else, that's why some job ads specifically ask for or encourage the Indigenous to apply.

They aren't on an equal pegging with the rest of Australia yet, so these things and more need to be done to bring them onto an equal footing with the rest of us.

If all Australians, indigneous and non-indigenous, were on an equal playing field, these things wouldn't be needed.
But they've been at a disadvantage since the day white settlers arrived on these lands. Sure, we've made progress in making things better for them. But they are still far worse off then the rest of us, and that is a direct result of white settlement of this land and everything that came with it.

There was systematic ethnic cleansing, the intentional spreading of diseases amongst them, and systematic destruction of records and covering up of massacres against them.
Todays weapons are alcohol, drugs, keeping them at arms length in the bush, not providing adequate health services or education services.

Aboriginal health is a complex issue centred around what are known as the social determinants of health.

I've quoted the Summary of Australian Indigenous Health earlier in this thread, and here is a thumbnail sketch from that publication:

The social determinants of health include if a person:

• is working
  • feels safe in their community (no discrimination)
  • has a good education
  • has enough money
  • feels connected to friends and family.
Social determinants that are particularly important to many Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are:

• their connection to land
  • the historical past that took people from their traditional lands and away from their families.
If a person feels safe, has a job that earns enough money, and feels connected to their family and friends, they will generally be healthier. Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are generally worse off than non-Indigenous people when it comes to the social determinants of health [1].

A lot of health services are not as accessible and user-friendly for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people as they are for non-Indigenous people, adding to higher levels of disadvantage. Sometimes this is because more Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people than non-Indigenous live in remote locations and not all health services are offered outside of cities. Sometimes health services are not culturally appropriate (which means they do not consider Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander cultures and the specific needs of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples). Also, some Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people may not be able to use some services because they are too expensive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back