Expansion Why AFL fails miserably in Queensland

Remove this Banner Ad

I remember reading an article in a paper once that there were 1,000,000 ex Victorians living in QLD. Not sure about the validity of it but if it was close to the mark there should be enough potential fans out there to service a few clubs.

I've never in my life met a single person who has mentioned union. Even when I lived in Brisbane. I did see reds posters at the train station once. And I'm familiar with the work of um that guy that does those funny interviews where he puts on the Aussie lingo something shocking. Was in a pub in qld, Sarina I think nearly got the crap beaten out of us for mentioning Aussie rules. I'm surprised AFL is played in schools that's something... Brisbane need to start winning games consistently at the same time the broncos are Spooner's. Suns are just f'd.

Haven't read whole thread.

Brissie girl here been raised on league and can't stand it. 2D crap. Every one I know, friends and family, work colleagues etc. all watch league.

I'm a Hawks fan and despite them not playing at the Gabba in years I still go along and watch Brisbane at the Gabba. Why? Because I'm a footy fan. The problem is, for the most part the crap teams play the lions in Brisbane. Nobody wants to pay to watch Brisbane vs Carlton.

Bring some decent teams to Brisbane!

Can always manage a group of at least 10 non-afl friends if it's expected to be a decent game.

It can be easily said so there are 7 million living in qld and they all follow the nrl?

Dealing with bird brains such as yourself is amusing. You want to twist my point with numbers and percentages.

My point and facts are this. There is no chance an AFL nor NRL team can survive on the GC, there is simply not enough interest/population to sustain it. AFL should be putting all their resources into the Lions because two teams is just a waste of money. As for the Titans, the Broncos and Cowboys own the State, you can see this with your own eyes if you watch a Titans game.

'Majority of GC is retirees, young people living for the weekend alcohol and drug binge. As for AFL North of GC its full of ex Victorians running clubs/leagues that think they know everything, when in fact they are utter know all know nothings. Cairns league has been quite strong for a number of years and is now on the decline. This is fact not opinion.

You want to believe otherwise be my guest.

Dealing with bird brains such as yourself is amusing. You want to twist my point with numbers and percentages.

My point and facts are this. There is no chance an AFL nor NRL team can survive on the GC, there is simply not enough interest/population to sustain it. AFL should be putting all their resources into the Lions because two teams is just a waste of money. As for the Titans, the Broncos and Cowboys own the State, you can see this with your own eyes if you watch a Titans game.

'Majority of GC is retirees, young people living for the weekend alcohol and drug binge. As for AFL North of GC its full of ex Victorians running clubs/leagues that think they know everything, when in fact they are utter know all know nothings. Cairns league has been quite strong for a number of years and is now on the decline. This is fact not opinion.

You want to believe otherwise be my guest.
No bird brains I was simply stating that the whole population in qld does not all follow leagues!
The Titans have no fans & the Suns will never survive alone on the Gold Coast!

Then lions are a basket case thanks to years of in house board fighting and their sports club owes the club millions. In 05,06 they were bigger than. The Broncos more members & bigger crowd averages playing out of a smaller stadium. The Broncos strength is that they have never really been a bad side and spent years on the bottom of the ladder.

Ps do you live in qld?

No bird brains I was simply stating that the whole population in qld does not all follow leagues!
The Titans have no fans & the Suns will never survive alone on the Gold Coast!

Then lions are a basket case thanks to years of in house board fighting and their sports club owes the club millions. In 05,06 they were bigger than. The Broncos more members & bigger crowd averages playing out of a smaller stadium. The Broncos strength is that they have never really been a bad side and spent years on the bottom of the ladder.

Ps do you live in qld?

Agree.

My point is an AFL and NRL team has zero future on the GC right now. None. I wanted to see the Lions up and firing before Suns entered the competition. As for Titans they are laughable.

Agree.

My point is an AFL and NRL team has zero future on the GC right now. None. I wanted to see the Lions up and firing before Suns entered the competition. As for Titans they are laughable.

What does that even mean? Both NRL and AFL clubs on the GC don't seem to going anywhere for the foreseeable future. And the Suns were tracking along OK until they went to s**t on field this year. I'd guess that if they can start making finals they'd be getting 20k+ most weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even this year, after losing all of our stars (Ablett, Swallow, Jaeger, Prestia, etc) + losing more than half our best 22 while only having won 4 games and coming third last, the Suns' average attendance was 12k. Like any club, poor performances on-field mean that it's difficult to get people to show up, and it's even tougher to gain new fans.

As soon as the Suns start winning games and performing consistently, the membership numbers will increase and the club's presence on the GC will increase.

Anybody saying that the Suns will fail because they're on the Gold Coast has absolutely no idea. Keep saying it all you like, but it won't make a difference.

Even this year, after losing all of our stars (Ablett, Swallow, Jaeger, Prestia, etc) + losing more than half our best 22 while only having won 4 games and coming third last, the Suns' average attendance was 12k. Like any club, poor performances on-field mean that it's difficult to get people to show up, and it's even tougher to gain new fans.

As soon as the Suns start winning games and performing consistently, the membership numbers will increase and the club's presence on the GC will increase.

Anybody saying that the Suns will fail because they're on the Gold Coast has absolutely no idea. Keep saying it all you like, but it won't make a difference.

Bears ring a bell?

Ablett isn't getting any younger. You've lost Dixon. Suns just aren't a destination a bonifide star wants to be. And Suns have showed how lost they are without Ablett. I'm basically saying the population of GC can't sustain an AFL club to the point of having anything resembling a huge crowd and creating revenue.

You think it can work and I think it's an absolute waste of time and money, differing opinions is fine, that's footy. I just don't ever envisage huge crowds or Suns playing a big part in finals football, ever.

What does that even mean? Both NRL and AFL clubs on the GC don't seem to going anywhere for the foreseeable future. And the Suns were tracking along OK until they went to s**t on field this year. I'd guess that if they can start making finals they'd be getting 20k+ most weeks.

You say 'what does that even mean' yet you full well understood what my point was. You say can see 20k+ when Suns start making finals.....and if they don't then what? Collingwood and Essendon play at Metricon and it still draws a dismal crowd. I'm running on facts here.

People may well say the Suns will fail. Although just about every sports franchise on the GC has failed in the past.

I think the Suns will 'survive', if only because the AFL have invested a huge amount of ego & money for them to give it away in a hurry.

But like most things, it will ultimately be up to the people to support what was given to them.

You say 'what does that even mean' yet you full well understood what my point was. You say can see 20k+ when Suns start making finals.....and if they don't then what? Collingwood and Essendon play at Metricon and it still draws a dismal crowd. I'm running on facts here.

No you're not. The Suns averaged 16k in 2014 and that's despite their last few home games being out of contention - they were averaging 18k in their first 8 games. It's fair to say that if they were competing for a flag then they'd get an extra couple of thousand a game at least.

What if they don't? Well I guess then it's all time to panic and fold the club. Which you probably know full well isn't going to happen in the next 15 years, making your comment about the club having 'zero future' a bit silly.

No you're not. The Suns averaged 16k in 2014 and that's despite their last few home games being out of contention - they were averaging 18k in their first 8 games. It's fair to say that if they were competing for a flag then they'd get an extra couple of thousand a game at least.

What if they don't? Well I guess then it's all time to panic and fold the club. Which you probably know full well isn't going to happen in the next 15 years, making your comment about the club having 'zero future' a bit silly.

Wowsers they are huge numbers you're pumping out. Some may say the numbers aren't huge because the venture has just started. I think it's as good as it is going to get because it is new. Just can't see players wanting to head to the Suns unless they are burnt out or offered massive money. Like I say Ablett isn't getting any younger and you've had to entice him with astronomical money. No doubt Suns have a handful of good players but that list won't be taking them to the finals. Dixon, Bennell gone and no doubt Suns will get an ok deal for them but, can't see clubs giving up players of any significance, especially for Bennell.

I guess we will see. If Suns go down the shitter I'm not the type to say I told you so. I just can't see any success happening at the Suns but, I can see the AFL pumping more money into the place before they concede their embarrassing decision to have a club on the GC. The Bears couldn't be sustained on the GC and it was the only QLD team at the time.

Wowsers they are huge numbers you're pumping out. Some may say the numbers aren't huge because the venture has just started. I think it's as good as it is going to get because it is new. Just can't see players wanting to head to the Suns unless they are burnt out or offered massive money. Like I say Ablett isn't getting any younger and you've had to entice him with astronomical money. No doubt Suns have a handful of good players but that list won't be taking them to the finals. Dixon, Bennell gone and no doubt Suns will get an ok deal for them but, can't see clubs giving up players of any significance, especially for Bennell.

I guess we will see. If Suns go down the shitter I'm not the type to say I told you so. I just can't see any success happening at the Suns but, I can see the AFL pumping more money into the place before they concede their embarrassing decision to have a club on the GC. The Bears couldn't be sustained on the GC and it was the only QLD team at the time.

You might be right, but you're making predictions about things that haven't happened yet. McKenna appears to have woefully mismanaged his players, which caught up with them when Eade came in and asked what the hell was going on. If he can get them back on the rails I think the Suns will be fine. Their crowds will never be among the best in the league, but they don't necessarily need to be. Their stadium economics appear sound as they charge huge prices and have a cheap venue. It's not like Melbourne where they have expensive venues and bargain basement ticket prices, so 20k on the Gold Coast is going to be a lot more profitable than 20k in Melbourne.

You might be right, but you're making predictions about things that haven't happened yet. McKenna appears to have woefully mismanaged his players, which caught up with them when Eade came in and asked what the hell was going on. If he can get them back on the rails I think the Suns will be fine. Their crowds will never be among the best in the league, but they don't necessarily need to be. Their stadium economics appear sound as they charge huge prices and have a cheap venue. It's not like Melbourne where they have expensive venues and bargain basement ticket prices, so 20k on the Gold Coast is going to be a lot more profitable than 20k in Melbourne.

You are contradicting yourself. You say to me I'm making predictions about the future yet you write 'if he can get them back on the rails'. And you're blaming McKenna for the Suns below par season are you serious!

GWS has already surpassed Suns crowds and list development.

Experimental dont forget to hit like on Rob's return post or anyone else that is of the same opinion as you. Embarrassing;):thumbsu::rainbow:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back