Society/Culture Why are aboriginal rights grouped in with LGBT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Prison is definitely not a great place to be if you want to enjoy any form of human rights.

Kids in youth jails*

However the trouble makers are sent to adult jail which is not legal.

Let's hope the UN can sort it out like Wada sorted out the afl.

I assume socio economic factors play a large role.

Not great optics when you have a background of aboriginal men cooking to death in divvy vans or women dying in holding cells

Kids in youth jails*

However the trouble makers are sent to adult jail which is not legal.

Let's hope the UN can sort it out like Wada sorted out the afl.

I assume socio economic factors play a large role.

Not great optics when you have a background of aboriginal men cooking to death in divvy vans or women dying in holding cells

I really appreciate your concern for human rights Marcel. It's a nice change.

Was this a recent meeting you had with Hird's lawyer? I could have sworn you were very pro-Russia invading Ukraine and committing war crimes earlier this year.

Incorrect , been consistently anti the Russian dystopian regime and invasion. Yet the aboriginal rights discussion doesn't seem the ideal place to discuss

Didn't realise they did this.
facepalm
I reckon a high proportion of people who study gender/humanities and in turn become professors are gay/lesbian/Bi/Transgendered when compared to the rest of the population.
It's very interesting that it was LGBT then LGBTQ+ now it's LGBTIA+, like WTF?

Incorrect , been consistently anti the Russian dystopian regime and invasion. Yet the aboriginal rights discussion doesn't seem the ideal place to discuss
you need to include aborigional rights in to the issue to get more funding as its all about the dollar through exploiting minority groups to peddle the adenga. if you refuse it or question it your a racist and homophobe

It seems the T association with LGB is starting to create tension across the groups in similar ways it is with feminism. Conflating unrelated issues (apart from being minority/marginalised groups) doesn't seem logical.

It seems the T association with LGB is starting to create tension across the groups in similar ways it is with feminism. Conflating unrelated issues (apart from being minority/marginalised groups) doesn't seem logical.
One think academia does a bit is come up with a theory, and test it on other things to see whether it 'works' in all situations, or if its use is more limited. Neoliberalism has been tried on everything to mixed success (one could argue it's not had much by way of success at much in the first place, but that's an argument for another time) and so has parts of feminist theory. Parts of civil rights era race theory extended the use of certain feminist theories. Without going into it too deeply for the sake of time and necessary research depth and explanation complexity - that's a rabbit warren in and of itself - they extrapolated over both groups, and vice versa.

It's easier to use and try to apply pre-existing principles for one thing onto another than it is to conceive and test a theory of your own. And to an extent, feminist/LGBTQI+ theories are completely compatible; it's only when one starts from a position of looking to exclude others from their feminism that they run into problems.

No it isn't, outside of a few transphobes. The vast majority of the community is supportive of trans rights, which is why they use the term LGBT+ or some derivation thereof. Only a few fringe groups describe themselves as LGB.

So I've seen some ads on TV for the Mardi Gras week on SBS. For some reason they've included "first nations people" along with intersex rights, gay rights, lesbian rights, transgender rights, and all the rest.

I feel like Aboriginal rights are kind of an outlier compared to the others. One is an issue of race while the others are gender identity and sexual preference.

Why do they do this? I feel like this is a cheap ploy to get bonus civil rights points. I feel it's kind of disrespectful towards the Indigenous cause.
Because historically, homophobia and racism have been displayed by the same sorts of people, and the powers that be have used the police to discriminate against both groups. You'll find that many LGBT+ people are supportive of First Nations rights and believe there can't be true equality without it.

Because historically, homophobia and racism have been displayed by the same sorts of people, and the powers that be have used the police to discriminate against both groups. You'll find that many LGBT+ people are supportive of First Nations rights and believe there can't be true equality without it.
Who are these same sorts of people you speak of?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back