Society/Culture Why are aboriginal rights grouped in with LGBT?

Remove this Banner Ad

Always Ballin

Social Activist. Freedom Fighter. Feminist.
Jan 11, 2015
Main Forum Poster
AFL Club
West Coast
So I've seen some ads on TV for the Mardi Gras week on SBS. For some reason they've included "first nations people" along with intersex rights, gay rights, lesbian rights, transgender rights, and all the rest.

I feel like Aboriginal rights are kind of an outlier compared to the others. One is an issue of race while the others are gender identity and sexual preference.

Why do they do this? I feel like this is a cheap ploy to get bonus civil rights points. I feel it's kind of disrespectful towards the Indigenous cause.

So I've seen some ads on TV for the Mardi Gras week on SBS. For some reason they've included "first nations people" along with intersex rights, gay rights, lesbian rights, transgender rights, and all the rest.

I feel like Aboriginal rights are kind of an outlier compared to the others. One is an issue of race while the others are gender identity and sexual preference.

Why do they do this? I feel like this is a cheap ploy to get bonus civil rights points. I feel it's kind of disrespectful towards the Indigenous cause.
It must keep you awake at night, that and your casual interest in U.S politics and batshit mental conspiracy BS you constantly whine about, because the orange douche got his arse handed to him by an old senile guy and the American people.👍
Anyway, just an observation, keep pretending to care about the indigenous plight and gay rights, it’s cute, it suits you!👍

It must keep you awake at night, that and your casual interest in U.S politics and batshit mental conspiracy BS you constantly whine about, because the orange douche got his arse handed to him by an old senile guy and the American people.👍
Anyway, just an observation, keep pretending to care about the indigenous plight and gay rights, it’s cute, it suits you!👍
1. I'm aboriginal
2. I voted for Biden
3. Calm down

1. I'm aboriginal
2. I voted for Biden
3. Calm down
Oh, I have you confused with Balls in, didn’t have my glasses on this early in the morning.
My apologies, truly, wait what, how’d you vote for Biden?

Oh, I have you confused with Balls in, didn’t have my glasses on this early in the morning.

How did he vote for Biden?

I'm guessing with one of those fake ballots Pelosi was giving away for free at maccas

Haven’t seen the ad, though in my experience Mardi Gras has always opened with a First Peoples float (not sure when that became a thing but it’s been a while).

Historically Mardi Gras would be pretty explicitly political on a range of issues (Hanson’s racism targeted in floats etc), but there’s a bit of internal disagreement about the way it works today - a few years ago an invitation to Malcolm Turnbull was revoked before being offered once again depending on who was in the organising meeting, with some wanting to include him and broadly supportive Liberals and others wanting them not invited because of their push for a plebiscite against the wishes of the LGBT community.

A year or two ago there was also controversy after the Teachers Federation were going to miss out on a float due to the large demand - hugely controversial given they supported the 1978 marchers who were sacked from schools once they were outed in the Sydney Morning Herald. Meanwhile floats for various corporations (such as Qantas, who partner with oppressive homophobic Middle Eastern regimes) and police (who bashed and arrested early Mardi Gras marchers, let alone more recent controversies) were given floats. The teachers were later given the go ahead after a backlash. This clash between continued radicalism and corporate support is a tension that hasn’t been resolved, in Pride Marches the world over let alone Sydney. This is probably an awkward compromise between that.

Hanson monstered the professional aboriginals in a superb display in the senate yesterday.

Greens response? "I'm offended" & "I don't feel safe in my workplace".

Calling them an embarrassment would be an act of flattery.

Two incomprehensible, gibbering imbeciles at loggerheads. A meeting of great minds.

It would serve Hanson better were she to actually read these speeches, scribbled by her illiterate flunkies, before she tries to deliver them. Presupposition in play here here is that she can read.

Two incomprehensible, gibbering imbeciles at loggerheads. A meeting of great minds.

It would serve Hanson better were she to actually read these speeches, scribbled by her illiterate flunkies, before she tries to deliver them. Presupposition in play here here is that she can read.

C'mon skilts, don't do this mate. It's generic & beneath you.

I get that Hanson is a semi literate populist & the Groans are intellectual children, but there is a very significant issue in all this and it's the folks among the lowest strata of Australian society that are getting shafted because their plight has been turned in to a bureaucratic racket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That is your actual excuse for that off kilter rant? I'm actively involved in a range of indigenous employment, heritage protection and awareness schemes. So go you-know-what yourself.

Last edited:
That is your actual excuse for that off kilter rant? I'm actively involved in a range of indigenous employment, heritage protection and awareness schemes. So go you-know-what yourself.
And I’m the King of Egypt.👍

C'mon skilts, don't do this mate. It's generic & beneath you.

I get that Hanson is a semi literate populist & the Groans are intellectual children, but there is a very significant issue in all this and it's the folks among the lowest strata of Australian society that are getting shafted because their plight has been turned in to a bureaucratic racket.
-And your presupposition is that this turd gives a twopenny black f***k about our nation's first peoples.

To bring things back to the question and not a random digression of Pauline Hanson giving one of her trademark articulate displays of deep thought, I just came across this article from someone from the radical side of the organisational debate over Mardi Gras as I posted above that may be of interest to get an idea of what I was speaking about.

Funnily, last night I saw a clip from the first Mardi Gras in 1978 and had thought of this thread, where the protestors can be heard chanting "Stop police attacks/On gays, women and blacks" throughout (the article then makes note of this in contrasting with today's less ideological march).

LGBT+is very welcoming .... I did notice in the discussion over transgender AFL football in the AFLW, I does not get a guernsey, possibly based on indigenous participation:

The united nations are going to tour jails in WA apparently; under the umbrella of human right to not suffer torture

Due to the gov. Failing human rights of indigenous kids.

Up to 18 hours locked in a cage. Regardless of the law authorities consistently saying that's not cool.

What's wrong with Australia - the way aboriginals are treated?

Source abc television

The united nations are going to tour jails in WA apparently; under the umbrella of human right to not suffer torture

Due to the gov. Failing human rights of indigenous kids.

Up to 18 hours locked in a cage. Regardless of the law authorities consistently saying that's not cool.

What's wrong with Australia - the way aboriginals are treated?

Source abc television

Prison is definitely not a great place to be if you want to enjoy any form of human rights.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back