Roast Why Are Geelong Our Biggest Historical Bogey Side?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 27, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Tottenham Hotspur, SSC Napoli, ESH
I'm sick of watching us get beaten or absolutely dismantled by this mob over the years time and time again.

Getting rolled by them all the time over the years in finals plus we haven't beaten them in 7 years on top of that.

If we beat these guys we become a legit team, but Scott has it over Beveridge big time as he had it over McCartney before him.

How do Collingwood and Carlton roll this mob yet we are putting in our worst performance of the year against these guys, echoes of 2010 this game.

I made a post in the preview of our last 25 odd games against them, something like 8 wins & 17 losses. Chalk up another one which is about 10 straight defeats

I agree. It gives me the absolute shits to no end ! It all started with brownless in the 90's with that goal after the siren.

They are a bunch of arrogant scumbags and so are many of their cocky supporters

Hard to say, as the Dogs just about owned Geelong certainly from the early to mid '00's, i recall a series of games at K.P where a 6-7 goal lead by Geelong would be whittled down by the likes of Brad Johnson and co. But in the current incarnation, i'm not really sure. To be honest i am rather stunned at how Geelong can hold the Dogs to 43 points tonight, yet make journeymen like Jesse White, Mason Cox, Andrejs Everitt and Arnfield all look like Carey and Peter Matera. It must be mental, our record against the Pies recently is quite poor, we're only 50-50 even since the '07 era started. Some sides seem to just have it over others, and despite the skill levels and ladder positions, it seems to almost be pre-ordained.

autopsy thread... nah, this corpse is far too mouldy and bloated. I refuse to waste my time with it. Lets call it dead on arrival, bag it and tag it.

Isn't it obvious?

We are Dogs
They are Cats

Cat always teases the Dog by walking along the fence of its territory. The dog will bark and get told off by the owner to shut up, particularly at night.

I5l7rrK.jpg

Sigh.. Century almost up. :(
We are just their bunny. Sick of losing to them.

I remember in 2007 we were something like 9 and 6 (from memory). We were an up-and-coming side with some exciting young talent, and it seemed like this year we might be emerging from our shells. We come up against Geelong on a Friday night and BANG!

Not only did they absolutely destroy us from the first moment of the 1st qtr, but they banged us up too, we suffered a bunch of injuries. I was sitting near an injured Daniel Cross in the stands. He literally cried while watching it.

We didn't win another game that year. It was one of the only times I can remember a team destroying an entire season in one game.

Bloody Geelong.

Last edited:
i can remember going to a game at Kardinia where we were down by 40 points and came back and won.

I think our cycles have been similar, with both teams peaking at the same time. With their draft picks used to top up for a flag this year, they will be rebuilding when our kids reach 100 games.

I remember in 2007 we were something like 9 and 6 (from memory). We were an up-and-coming side with some exciting young talent, and it seemed like this year we might be emerging from our shells. We come up against Geelong on a Friday night and BANG!

Not only did they absolutely destroy us from the first moment of the 1st qtr, but they banged us up too, we suffered a bunch of injuries. I was sitting near an injured Daniel Cross in the stands. He literally cried while watching it.

We didn't win another game that year. It was one of the only times I can remember a team destroying an entire season in one game.

Bloody Geelong.

I remember that one, think we then got smashed by West Coast week after on Friday night and only drew to St Killda.
They did it a few times. One year it was first vs second at Katrina Park and after a half smacked us and we never really recovered. Again in 2010? Saturday night they belted us but I guess we knew we weren't right that year.

Not surprised Carlton and Essendon have similar bad records. They always pulled wins regaurdless of ladder.

They are generally better than us. Would only be a few seasons in my lifetime we've finished above them.

Can't remember them ever bottoming out either.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i can remember going to a game at Kardinia where we were down by 40 points and came back and won.

I think our cycles have been similar, with both teams peaking at the same time. With their draft picks used to top up for a flag this year, they will be rebuilding when our kids reach 100 games.
You are probably correct but by then the Cats may have another premiership cup or two in the cupboard while we are competing with several other up-and-comers. It would be good to reverse the 'cycle' just once in our favour.

They are generally better than us. Would only be a few seasons in my lifetime we've finished above them.

Can't remember them ever bottoming out either.

I have been told they are good at poaching other clubs players, which is ironic considering they won three flags after developing their own, but have gone back to old habits of poaching players.

I have been told they are good at poaching other clubs players, which is ironic considering they won three flags after developing their own, but have gone back to old habits of poaching players.
I made a thread on the Bay last year regarding their recruiting policy, got many bites

They've regularly recruited struggling teams best players, Dangerfield has bucked the trend with that somewhat, but they still went out and got Zac Smith and Lachie Henderson from bottom 4 sides last year building on from the likes of Ottens, Rivers, Caddy etc

Hard to say, as the Dogs just about owned Geelong certainly from the early to mid '00's, i recall a series of games at K.P where a 6-7 goal lead by Geelong would be whittled down by the likes of Brad Johnson and co. But in the current incarnation, i'm not really sure. To be honest i am rather stunned at how Geelong can hold the Dogs to 43 points tonight, yet make journeymen like Jesse White, Mason Cox, Andrejs Everitt and Arnfield all look like Carey and Peter Matera. It must be mental, our record against the Pies recently is quite poor, we're only 50-50 even since the '07 era started. Some sides seem to just have it over others, and despite the skill levels and ladder positions, it seems to almost be pre-ordained.
Johnno was the only player who regularly rocked up against you guys over the years for us

Apparently you guys were his favourite side to play against statistically

Ironically, we haven't beaten you guys since he retired also

The floggings in finals in the 90's, brown less goal after the siren in 94. One of the worst was Wheeler's last game in 94, when we were 80 odd points down early in the 2nd . Remember a mate running out of petrol coming home from a flogging down there. We turned the tables on them when we were both shite, but when it comes to big finals and games against them we get found out . Would have been interesting if we'd met them in 97

Johnno was the only player who regularly rocked up against you guys over the years for us

Apparently you guys were his favourite side to play against statistically

Ironically, we haven't beaten you guys since he retired also
We won a few milestone games coming back from the brink down there, but we can't beat them in a big game . Probably the only time was playing for first spot in 97, when we won a close game at Optus

We won a few milestone games coming back from the brink down there, but we can't beat them in a big game . Probably the only time was playing for first spot in 97, when we won a close game at Optus

Yeah but the only time they beat us in finals and actually won a flag was in 2009. They failed the other times through the 90s and early 2000s. If anything our tough game against the Saints in the prelim probably helped them though.

Things will change over the coming couple of years with the rapid ageing of their list, Bartel 32, Enright 34, Taylor 30, Lonergan 32 and Mackie 31. I can see them fighting it out with Norf for the wooden spoon when our kids hit 100 games.

Also Dal has overtaken Wells as best recruiter, they really reached for Nakia Cockatoo and he seems only good not brilliant.

Yeah but the only time they beat us in finals and actually won a flag was in 2009. They failed the other times through the 90s and early 2000s. If anything our tough game against the Saints in the prelim probably helped them though.

Things will change over the coming couple of years with the rapid ageing of their list, Bartel 32, Enright 34, Taylor 30, Lonergan 32 and Mackie 31. I can see them fighting it out with Norf for the wooden spoon when our kids hit 100 games.

Also Dal has overtaken Wells as best recruiter, they really reached for Nakia Cockatoo and he seems only good not brilliant.
I reckon Cockatoo will be an upgrade on Motlop. Bit of x factor, plenty of pace. A reach @ pick 10 or whatever it was but he will surprise some people in a few years i reckon.

Why are Geelong our biggest historical bogey side ?

Geelong are just about the north pole to our south pole in terms
of actually making money off crap games of football at their
home ground by only having to accommodate a few hundred
opposition supporters. While we play the very same teams at
our concrete fortress in front of paltry crowds and hand over
big dollars for the right to do so.

They had a good draft and built steadily towards a run (albeit
the first run for quite awhile) of premiership success. We had
a good draft and followed it up with a barren wasteland of
failure represented by entire years of not one player still
remaining on our list.

I guess deep down i am jealous of Geelong as they are seen to
represent everything that i would like the Bulldogs to become.
Successful (tick), Destination Club (tick), Financial (tick) they
get Patrick Dangerfield where as we spend countless hours on
bigfooty talking about it just to snatch a DFA or fringe player
from some unsuspecting victim.

We are the Dogs, the greatest team of all.:(:'(

Why are Geelong our biggest historical bogey side ?

Geelong are just about the north pole to our south pole in terms
of actually making money off crap games of football at their
home ground by only having to accommodate a few hundred
opposition supporters. While we play the very same teams at
our concrete fortress in front of paltry crowds and hand over
big dollars for the right to do so.

They had a good draft and built steadily towards a run (albeit
the first run for quite awhile) of premiership success. We had
a good draft and followed it up with a barren wasteland of
failure represented by entire years of not one player still
remaining on our list.

I guess deep down i am jealous of Geelong as they are seen to
represent everything that i would like the Bulldogs to become.
Successful (tick), Destination Club (tick), Financial (tick) they
get Patrick Dangerfield where as we spend countless hours on
bigfooty talking about it just to snatch a DFA or fringe player
from some unsuspecting victim.

We are the Dogs, the greatest team of all.:(:'(

They have not always been though, I remember when Geelong Council were giving away free memberships in their new resident kits, and the club like us was on its knees. There membership only hit 40,000 a few years ago.

It goes to show what a premiership or three will do for a club fortunes.

They have not always been though, I remember when Geelong Council were giving away free memberships in their new resident kits, and the club like us was on its knees. There membership only hit 40,000 a few years ago.

It goes to show what a premiership or three will do for a club fortunes.
The same can be said for Hawthorn Dogs_r_barking, i would like it
to be us just for a change is that wrong ?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back