Why are Hawthorn hogging the 3:20pm slot?

Remove this Banner Ad

This was a very decent troll thread, well done. The fact that people are still thinking it is serious shows how good it is!!

In all honesty though, this scheduling is testament to the fact that Hawthorn are not the powerhouse their 'supporters' think they are. As soon as they drop it of contention, they drop back to their natural order with the Bulldogs, Melbourne etc in terms of drawing power.

This is demonstrated unequivocally by crowd numbers this year, tv time slots fixtured and the fact that they need to sell their home games interstate and run pokies venues to make a dollar.

Make no mistake, they are a few bad years away from the bandwagon falling apart.

Lol okay. Melbourne and the Dogs right :drunk:

Hawthorn is still comfortably Geelong’s largest draw. It’s the reason you take your home game against us to our home ground every year where more Hawthorn members (due to the Hawks considerable size relative to the boutique Cats) have access to more seating then the home team

And for what’s it worth, since when was 39,000 and 36,000 against ten two lowest drawing Victorian clubs, in the graveyard slot actually a poor crowd? The middling Cats would kill for those numbers, they can’t even fill their mid to high 20,000 jam tin against Melbourne...

What is at place here is a disproporte draw thanks to Easter Monday, Tasmanian home fixtures (which are shifted to Sundays) and dare I say it some punishment for the Hawks continued foray into Tasmania.

It’s why season after season Hawthorn tend to play high drawing Friday Night fixtures as the away team against MCG co tenants

Hawthorn is still comfortably Geelong’s largest draw. It’s the reason you take your home game against us to our home ground every year where more Hawthorn members (due to the Hawks considerable size relative to the boutique Cats) have access to more seating then the home team

And for what’s it worth, since when was 39,000 and 36,000 against ten two lowest drawing Victorian clubs, in the graveyard slot actually a poor crowd? The middling Cats would kill for those numbers, they can’t even fill their mid to high 20,000 jam tin against Melbourne...
Yes, you are comfortably our best cash cow - but over 40% of that crowd is to do with 2008, and the succession of incredible games that came after that. I just had a look back at the last Victorian meeting we had pre-2008... it was 28,000 people to the Docklands. Seems ridiculous given the crowds they get now.

However, when both clubs have been so good, for so long, it's hard to get a handle on how many newly-acquired supporters will drop off once a period of sustained mediocrity hits.

PS - We do ok at the "Jam Tin" - 28k isn't bad for a cold, rainy Saturday night in a regional city... and we still make megabucks out of that crowd.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but i quite like this time slot. The kids can play junior footy, you can get some stuff done around the house or whatever you choose. None of them are going to be blockbusters, so getting to the ground 30 minutes prior is ample time. The match finishes a bit before 6, so even allowing for a trip home, it's not a late one even on a school night. Kids have also had lunch, so won't be hassling you to spend your weekly wage on food at the ground :-D

This was a very decent troll thread, well done. The fact that people are still thinking it is serious shows how good it is!!

In all honesty though, this scheduling is testament to the fact that Hawthorn are not the powerhouse their 'supporters' think they are. As soon as they drop it of contention, they drop back to their natural order with the Bulldogs, Melbourne etc in terms of drawing power.

This is demonstrated unequivocally by crowd numbers this year, tv time slots fixtured and the fact that they need to sell their home games interstate and run pokies venues to make a dollar.

Make no mistake, they are a few bad years away from the bandwagon falling apart.

To think i was sad when Ford announced it was leaving Australia.

I must be getting this whole `good for footy' thing wrong.

Maybe I'm in the minority here, but i quite like this time slot. The kids can play junior footy, you can get some stuff done around the house or whatever you choose. None of them are going to be blockbusters, so getting to the ground 30 minutes prior is ample time. The match finishes a bit before 6, so even allowing for a trip home, it's not a late one even on a school night. Kids have also had lunch, so won't be hassling you to spend your weekly wage on food at the ground :-D

I am a fan of the 4.40pm (2.40pm WST) "twilight" time slot which Victorians don't seem to like. Each to their own I guess, but going to the footy on a Sunday arvo is enjoyable. Much rather that than rushing to an early Friday night game to suit the EST broadcast schedule.

He he sure

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think it's the best timeslot in footy today. Maybe just second to Friday night.

Nice crowd at the G, BT and maybe JB in the box. Big Victorian teams playing. Hungover on the couch and get some food delivered. It's absolutely perfect for local footballers or people involved with other football etc on Saturday's.

Yes, you are comfortably our best cash cow - but over 40% of that crowd is to do with 2008, and the succession of incredible games that came after that. I just had a look back at the last Victorian meeting we had pre-2008... it was 28,000 people to the Docklands. Seems ridiculous given the crowds they get now.

Agreed but that was 13 years ago. If a week is a long time in football that’s ancient history

It’s a bit like the Richmond v Carlton games. It’s hard to imagine that in the 90s these games were scheduled (as Carlton games) at Princes Park and up until the birth of the season opening fixture in 2007 it was just another ho hum game.

Could you imagine Carlton and Richmond playing at Docklands like 2004 and 2006? Me either.

Things change. The key is ongoing support by the AFL (through regular fixturing) which manifests itself through media coverage and becomes an event for theatre goers. Same with Queen’s Birthday, Dreamtime and Easter Monday.

But to use that as validation that Hawthorn is a Bulldogs or Melbourne draw is laughable.

Another point worth raising is that the 3.20 time slot, as a lead into the 6pm news is a highly valuable tv slot for channel 7. It’s a bit like Thursday Night football, it’s a time slot that isn’t crowd friendly but it is tv friendly.

It’s crap for supporters and attendances (although it has drawn strong crowds to high drawing fixtures) but it’s not a Sunday 1.10, 4.45 or Saturday 1.45 or Foxtel Saturday Night time slot).

However, when both clubs have been so good, for so long, it's hard to get a handle on how many newly-acquired supporters will drop off once a period of sustained mediocrity hits.

I think it’s quite simple. Unlike other Victorian teams that have risen and fallen over the past 15 to 20 years Hawthorn continues to set new membership records and attracts decent crowds for MCG home games (give or take a natural 5k to 10k rise and fall).

The Dogs game was just below the 3 game MCG average for Haw v WB games and the Haw v NM was 10k lower.

They do have a large volatility in crowds within seasons but this was even more evident during the glory years (case in point, 23,000 and 50,000 to games against Gold Coast and West Coast In 2012, 18,000 and 73,000 to games against GWS and Sydney in 2014).

Hawthorn has had waves of success in the 70s, the 80s and the 00s/10s. That is three generations of new support that has amplified its support and membership.

Whereas clubs like North and Geelong have achieved considerable success between 1993 and 1999 and 2007 and 2011. It was not sustained and the membership peaked and receded

That said, I suggest this has little relevance to the thread and why Hawthorn plays so many Sunday games (that probably has more to do with Tasmania and the vagaries of the early fixture)

PS - We do ok at the "Jam Tin" - 28k isn't bad for a cold, rainy Saturday night in a regional city... and we still make megabucks out of that crowd.

Still below capacity and that was probably one of your highest drawing (or potential) games for the year. Round 2, Elimination Final match up, highly fancied opponent

Fact is Geelong has struggled to keep pace with the bigger Victorian clubs despite its success, a point supported by the club CEO and chairman

Last edited:
Surprised no one has mentioned the fact Hawthorn played in this prime time spot AGAIN. Played in front of a packed house against an interstate team that then has to try and get home on a Sunday night when the airport is busy. No doubt this played on their mind and played a massive part in GWS's loss.

Surprised no one has mentioned the fact Hawthorn played in this prime time spot AGAIN. Played in front of a packed house against an interstate team that then has to try and get home on a Sunday night when the airport is busy. No doubt this played on their mind and played a massive part in GWS's loss.

So what you are saying is Gil gifted us this win.

Thanks Gil !!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back