Why are Hawthorn hogging the 3:20pm slot?

Remove this Banner Ad

Leeda

Talents B Sharp
Suspended
Sep 26, 2012
AFL Club
Hawthorn
slugging more than my fair share of 'wonder vision elixir' I can only say that we are carrying more than
our worth with shabby colours.. it happens.. even my shorts aren't particularly enticing..

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Seeing that it is such a huge issue for other club supporters, I’m happy to auction off the Sunday 3:20pm time slot. Will exchange for more Friday night and Saturday fixtures in the interest of keeping every other supporter happy. Got to keep the best time slot open for everyone 🙄

Sep 21, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Norwood
Seeing that it is such a huge issue for other club supporters, I’m happy to auction off the Sunday 3:20pm time slot. Will exchange for more Friday night and Saturday fixtures in the interest of keeping every other supporter happy. Got to keep the best time slot open for everyone 🙄

As a Hawks supporter who despises the 3:20pm time slot, as well as Sundays, this has been the season from hell. As you say, if other clubs want this "prime time slot", they're welcome to it.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I am a fan of the 4.40pm (2.40pm WST) "twilight" time slot which Victorians don't seem to like. Each to their own I guess, but going to the footy on a Sunday arvo is enjoyable. Much rather that than rushing to an early Friday night game to suit the EST broadcast schedule.
I personally love that time slot for watching games here in Melb. 3:20 games to go to though are not ideal for me to go to though. Would much rather a 1.10 start or even a 2.10.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sep 11, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Public transport issues which stopped fans from getting to the ground.

Will be much bigger this Sunday.
Indeed there was. No trains on Belgrave/Lilydale/Alamein from City to Camberwell and nothing on Glen Waverley at all. Probably 80% of our fans use those lines.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Kennett suggests an AFL conspiracy at work
It’s not a conspiracy though, the AFL have made it very clear that they want us out of Tasmania.

Giving us a s**t load of poorly scheduled games is undoubtedly an attempt to make the HFC board bow to AFL house.

Gotta love Kennett. Freo get exactly the same number of Sunday 320 home games as Hawthorn, including Mother's day.
Difference being our fans actually show up. Kennett couldn't blame Hawthorn fans though. Must be the AFLs fault.
In a two team town on the arse end of the earth.

Nugett

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 2, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
For watching on TV - not a horrible timeslot

for wanting to actually attend the games - absolutely appalling

Not living in Melbourne, trying to catch a game in Melbourne makes attending difficult. Be at Tullermarine in time to catch your flight, drive home from the airport, probably puts you to bed at midnight, which makes it hard getting up at 5 for work the next day. It would be the same if you lived in country Victoria, having to drive back, just makes it a late night.

4THAWN

Club Legend
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Not living in Melbourne, trying to catch a game in Melbourne makes attending difficult. Be at Tullermarine in time to catch your flight, drive home from the airport, probably puts you to bed at midnight, which makes it hard getting up at 5 for work the next day. It would be the same if you lived in country Victoria, having to drive back, just makes it a late night.

even for myself living in melbourne, 3:20 is a horrible time if I want to attend a match. Allocate 45 mins each way getting to/from the game gives you a rough timespan of 2:20-6.45pm. Pretty much impossible to attend if you have sports on a sunday that start after 1pm. Getting home so late is an inconvenience for dinner/later plans. Obviously the 3.20 is designed because the majority of junior sports are played late morning/early afternoon, and they want to allow as much time as possible for these families to attend, but isn't super effective and has lots of cons

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Sunday fixturing is weird full stop.

The other week when Thursday was in play there was a game at 2.40 and a game at 3.20. A whole day for just two games and they overlap 3 quarters. I would have thought you'd have a 1.10/1.20 game always and then push back the other game(s) as late as you can. Channel 7 want 3.20 because it leads into the news.

Luv_our_club

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 14, 2017
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gotta love Kennett. Freo get exactly the same number of Sunday 320 home games as Hawthorn, including Mother's day.
Difference being our fans actually show up. Kennett couldn't blame Hawthorn fans though. Must be the AFLs fault.

Good on Freo fans, but my experience of going to the footy on Sunday at 3.20 in Victoria is bordering on bleak and souless.

It is dark when the game ends.
Cold.
Sunday public transport times. 30 minutes between my bus service.
The footy weekend is over.
Work the next day.
School for kids.
And poor crowds.

We have 8 this year, Sunday 3.20pm.

1.10 pm is better, but even then you can only put up with so many per year.

I have no doubt a lot of Hawk supporters didn't invest $500 plus this year in a membership after looking at the fixture. We have only so many home games in Melbourne, because of our Tassie connection.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back