Why are Port Adelaide so dominant over St Kilda?

Remove this Banner Ad

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Port Adelaide have won 22 of their last 28 games against St Kilda.
St Kilda have only beaten Port Adelaide once in the last 10 years.

Both clubs have had their ups and downs over that time, but the Power continue to have the wood over the Saints.

Why is that?

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda

Both clubs have had their ups and downs over that time, but the Power continue to have the wood over the Saints.

Why is that?
I’m sure the fact we’ve only played them 4 times in Victoria since 2003 has nothing to do with it. Nor the fact that we’ve played them once here in the last 8 years.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We rarely play them in Melbourne. Last weekend was the first time since 2013.
I’m sure the fact we’ve only played them 4 times in Victoria since 2003 has nothing to do with it. Nor the fact that we’ve played them once here in the last 8 years.

Both of you saints fans have forgot about the 2 major factors.

Ok as you said Aussie Rules rules. Saints played Port 3 or 4 times out of 18 years as you posted on the Port Board.

But.... As I said, there are 2 significant things not mentioned on here.

1. Saints hosted games in Tassie around 2002-07ish. Hence why I remember Freo almost every year was sent to go to Tassie to face either the hawks or Saints and usually lose. Port Almost every year had the saints in tassie as well.

Still remember one close Saints vs Port game where Daniel Motlop had a set shot after the siren (2006 maybe) to possibly help port win but he sprayed it.

2. Another factor was those games in China. 1st off gold coast played Port there. Then the saints agreed to it. They got $500,000 to play that game vs Port in China. But that was around from 2017 ish.

So from 2006/7 ish until 2016, Saints should of hosted Port at Marvel at least twice in that period.

I have said my bit about AFL equalization. I am still found it unfair that from 2011-2017, Freo always had Essendon once each year. The issue wasnt having essendon once, my Issue was all those games were in Perth. Had It been rotated every year or 2, one year its in docklands, the next in Perth stadum then possibly the next year in the MCG or at Docklands again. it would of been fair. Glad freo has had essendon at Docklands each year from 2019-2021, even though they have been narrow losses.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams

Why is that?

As I have already posted.....

Saints had Port in docklands 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years partially due to 2 reasons.

From 2002-06, Saints hosted games in Tassie and teams like Port and freo usually face the saints there almost each year.

Also you had those china games from 2017.

I cant explain the other gap of 2007-2016.

As I have said, I have said my view on the AFL fixtures and equalization.

From 2011-17 Freo always had essendon once and it was always in Perth which to me is unfair. Essendon should of got us at Marvel at least 2 or 3 times in that 2011-17 period. It explains freos poor record vs essendon in docklands.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
You need to have the concept of home ground advantage explained to you?
nope....

You support the saints... As a victorian side that plays home games in Marvel, you only have home ground advantage towards only 8 teams and thats all the 8 non vic clubs.

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Relevance to the discussion of why we’ve won so few of the last 28 games between the two clubs? Do you feel that makes us more or less likely to win those games?

St Kilda tend to play Adelaide in South Australia more often than they play them in Victoria.

Yet St Kilda have a better record against Adelaide than they do against Port Adelaide.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
We beat Port just last year in Adelaide so it's not like we haven't beaten them in recent years.

We rarely play them in Melbourne. Last weekend was the first time since 2013.

It wasn't much of a home ground advantage either without a crowd, we may as well have been playing them at a neutral venue.

Jan 7, 2011
Heaven. I mean Victoria.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Both of you saints fans have forgot about the 2 major factors.

Ok as you said Aussie Rules rules. Saints played Port 3 or 4 times out of 18 years as you posted on the Port Board.

But.... As I said, there are 2 significant things not mentioned on here.

1. Saints hosted games in Tassie around 2002-07ish. Hence why I remember Freo almost every year was sent to go to Tassie to face either the hawks or Saints and usually lose. Port Almost every year had the saints in tassie as well.

Still remember one close Saints vs Port game where Daniel Motlop had a set shot after the siren (2006 maybe) to possibly help port win but he sprayed it.

2. Another factor was those games in China. 1st off gold coast played Port there. Then the saints agreed to it. They got $500,000 to play that game vs Port in China. But that was around from 2017 ish.

So from 2006/7 ish until 2016, Saints should of hosted Port at Marvel at least twice in that period.

I have said my bit about AFL equalization. I am still found it unfair that from 2011-2017, Freo always had Essendon once each year. The issue wasnt having essendon once, my Issue was all those games were in Perth. Had It been rotated every year or 2, one year its in docklands, the next in Perth stadum then possibly the next year in the MCG or at Docklands again. it would of been fair. Glad freo has had essendon at Docklands each year from 2019-2021, even though they have been narrow losses.
What relevance does any of that have to the question at hand?

Catsace

Premiership Player
Apr 15, 2007
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors
Paul* who posts on here and has a magnificent website called AFL Tables has a section where one can select particular side, and it will show it's record against other teams in intervals of 5,20 and 50 games. Click AFL main, pick your team, then pick 'Recent Form'. It's a fantastic and interesting read.

Geelong as an example has won 17 of the last 20 against the Dogs, and 16 of the last 20 against Melbourne, Essendon, Brisbane, Port and Carlton. But perhaps surprisingly given that they've been relatively moderate in recent years(aside from 2018) the record against Collingwood is only 10-10 in the last 20 games.

St.Kilda with 5 wins and a draw against Geelong have a better record than 8 other clubs against the Cats in this timeframe. Some of the domination by some sides over others is quite strange. But i would concur with others here who have highlighted that the games played by St.Kilda in China haven't helped, and Port have played more at home in this period than St.Kilda have. Port have been quite a reasonable side under Hinkley, more often than not in and around the finals, whilst the Saints really weren't much chop in the period from about 2013 up to 2019.

Just checking the Tigers, possibly the most astounding result is seeing that they have won just 7 and a draw against North Melbourne over the last 20 games, whilst they hold a commanding 17-3 record over the Lions in this period, where the latter have been powerful contenders in the last three seasons. That's beyond staggering with Richmond being finalists every year bar 2016 for the last 7 seasons.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LIVFC
Carlton have played Crows twice in Adelaide since 2010 - one of them was Football Park and only once at Adelaide Oval
The overall record between the two is relatively close - which as an indictment on Carlton as they never play away to the Crows

I'm sure the uneveness of the fixture will find every club with a similar anomaly against a particular team

LittleG

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Paul* who posts on here and has a magnificent website called AFL Tables has a section where one can select particular side, and it will show it's record against other teams in intervals of 5,20 and 50 games. Click AFL main, pick your team, then pick 'Recent Form'. It's a fantastic and interesting read.

Geelong as an example has won 17 of the last 20 against the Dogs, and 16 of the last 20 against Melbourne, Essendon, Brisbane, Port and Carlton. But perhaps surprisingly given that they've been relatively moderate in recent years(aside from 2018) the record against Collingwood is only 10-10 in the last 20 games.

St.Kilda with 5 wins and a draw against Geelong have a better record than 8 other clubs against the Cats in this timeframe. Some of the domination by some sides over others is quite strange. But i would concur with others here who have highlighted that the games played by St.Kilda in China haven't helped, and Port have played more at home in this period than St.Kilda have. Port have been quite a reasonable side under Hinkley, more often than not in and around the finals, whilst the Saints really weren't much chop in the period from about 2013 up to 2019.

Just checking the Tigers, possibly the most astounding result is seeing that they have won just 7 and a draw against North Melbourne over the last 20 games, whilst they hold a commanding 17-3 record over the Lions in this period, where the latter have been powerful contenders in the last three seasons. That's beyond staggering with Richmond being finalists every year bar 2016 for the last 7 seasons.

Geelong has a higher winning percentage against teams that are forced to play at GMHBA. Big surprise, not!
(Except for Carlton, as they have been crap for decades).

Tim Evans Beard

Cancelled
East Side Hawks - Sweet F.A. Chess Club Member
Apr 9, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Geelong has a higher winning percentage against teams that are forced to play at GMHBA. Big surprise, not!
(Except for Carlton, as they have been crap for decades).
Are Geelong the away team at GMHBA or is it a Geelong home game? Teams are ‘forced’ to play GC at Metricon and most teams have a good record there.

Geelong have just been better than most for nearly a couple of decades.

g_TRAIN

Near a spoon
Jun 15, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
St Kilda
What a dumb question.

For one they have been a stronger team for a while.

But most importantly we ******* never get to play them at home. This year was the first time in god knows when.

Now we didn't win this week but I can guarantee the record would look different if the games were split 50:50 home and away. As it stands 90% of our matches against them are away games.

Rasha

2017🏆 2019🏆 2020🏆
Aug 25, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
What a dumb question.

For one they have been a stronger team for a while.

But most importantly we ******* never get to play them at home. This year was the first time in god knows when.

Now we didn't win this week but I can guarantee the record would look different if the games were split 50:50 home and away. As it stands 90% of our matches against them are away games.

The fixture evens itself out over time though.
Gillon said so.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back