scottishfiction

Team Captain
Aug 13, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Didcot, Yateley, Winnersh, Taplow
when no one else is?

sure they could end up being finished first, but West Coast weren't allowed a final prior to their final position being locked in.

how can you have two clubs with clear advantages? but even worse, how can you have one with a huge disadvantage (whoever plays Port)?

I don't get it. play the whole finals in Queensland or at least work out proper 'advantages' for clubs who deserve it.

when no one else is?

sure they could end up being finished first, but West Coast weren't allowed a final prior to their final position being locked in.

how can you have two clubs with clear advantages? but even worse, how can you have one with a huge disadvantage (whoever plays Port)?

I don't get it. play the whole finals in Queensland or at least work out proper 'advantages' for clubs who deserve it.

Government regulations prevent finals being played in Victoria
Government regulations prevent finals being played in Tasmania
Government regulations (may) prevent finals being played in Western Australia.

Finals can be played in SA, NSW and QLD. Therefore any team that finishes high enough from those states gets a home final.

As it turns out the two clubs who will enjoy the biggest advantage probably finish 1st and 2nd which is about as fair as it can be in this season.

when no one else is?

The pre finals bye will likely allow us one. Weirdly as a result we may be a better chance winning the flag from 5th than 4th.

The pre finals bye will likely allow us one. Weirdly as a result we may be a better chance winning the flag from 5th than 4th.

It doesn't really make it any easier. Finishing 4th you would have to win 3 finals on the road (and get a double chance on the first one). You still have to do that if you finish 5th, with no second chance, and have to win a home final first.

Better result for the fans who want to attend though.

It doesn't really make it any easier. Finishing 4th you would have to win 3 finals on the road (and get a double chance on the first one). You still have to do that if you finish 5th, with no second chance, and have to win a home final first.

Better result for the fans who want to attend though.
I was also factoring in the mentality of the playing group spending an extra week in Perth, hopefully winning, then hitting the final three weeks hard in QLD with an almost full squad. Honestly I cant see us being much of a chance 4th or 5th, but I reckon we'd be a better chance with a nothing to lose mantra that 5th brings. Especially in a weird season like 2020.

of all the inconsistencies and the absolute dog's breakfast this season has produced, this stat, i think, is the most intersting

when 4 and 5 day breaks have been regularly happening, how has Port secured such a lobsided advantage?

View attachment 960021
Not only Port, Richmond in 2019 7 mcg games to end season, this year get that, what next year?

when no one else is?

Ask your premier.. Doesn’t matter anyway, even in a normal season we would still now be entitled to 2 home finals.

of all the inconsistencies and the absolute dog's breakfast this season has produced, this stat, i think, is the most intersting

when 4 and 5 day breaks have been regularly happening, how has Port secured such a lobsided advantage?

View attachment 960021

Thank God we have some Adelaide hack to spout anti Port nonsense. Who did we play in the first condensed round? Melbourne, WB, Geelong, Richmond. We also played St Kilda the game before that started. Who didn't get a bye until the second condensed fixture? Who didn't play a home game for the first half of the season? Who had to get up at 5am to play in another state twice in three weeks? We would have done the most travel of any club this year. But yeah, its our soft fixturing that has got us there you *******.

View attachment 960021
Interesting stat.

Wish it would have made a difference when we had 6 days compared to Geelong's 4 and still lost by a million lmao

Thank God we have some Adelaide hack to spout anti Port nonsense. Who did we play in the first condensed round? Melbourne, WB, Geelong, Richmond. We also played St Kilda the game before that started. Who didn't get a bye until the second condensed fixture? Who didn't play a home game for the first half of the season? Who had to get up at 5am to play in another state twice in three weeks? We would have done the most travel of any club this year. But yeah, its our soft fixturing that has got us there you *******.

wow calm down mate

jesus christ

(Log in to remove this ad.)

yeah ok mate I've never posted in Port game day threads, I have better things to do - I thought it was an interesting stat, especially considering the season we've had and how short the breaks have been - It's almost as if you're defensive for some reason

I wasn't going to bring up the Crows, because in many ways it's not relevant and we were never contending this year. But it's also interesting that the Crows 2 wins this year have come during that 2nd & 3rd game of the season where they have had the longer break than their opponent - It's almost as if it helped them

edit: on re-read of your meltdown, I hope for your sake you are still at school, it's pretty much the only excuse you'd allow for such an over the top reaction

yeah ok mate I've never posted in Port game day threads, I have better things to do - I thought it was an interesting stat, especially considering the season we've had and how short the breaks have been - It's almost as if you're defensive for some reason

I wasn't going to bring up the Crows, because in many ways it's not relevant and we were never contending this year. But it's also interesting that the Crows 2 wins this year have come during that 2nd & 3rd game of the season where they have had the longer break than their opponent - It's almost as if it helped them

edit: on re-read of your meltdown, I hope for your sake you are still at school, it's pretty much the only excuse you'd allow for such an over the top reaction

You know what's irrelevant? How many day's break teams have got in a thread about the location of finals. Almost like you were hanging onto a reason to pot Port. You also left out the part where you get 2 more games at AO than us. I would think a 8 day break vs a 4 day break would have helped you a bit against Hawthorn especially after they played their GF against us the game before. How many times have we got 4 extra days than our opponents? If the answer is zero, its not really relevant is it?

You wanted to take your sly poorly thought out dig at us and sneak off into the night. Now you're having a sook that you have been told to go jam it. You're the one that made the claim, now defend it, or pipe down and shut up.

I don't get it. play the whole finals in Queensland or at least work out proper 'advantages' for clubs who deserve it
Proper advantages?

You mean like playing at home twice when you finish top 2?

when no one else is?

Your Premier is pandering to xenophobes and has found it is incredibly popular.

Turns out most West Australians have a massive chip on their shoulder about the rest of the country.

As it turns out the two clubs who will enjoy the biggest advantage probably finish 1st and 2nd which is about as fair as it can be in this season.
There is nothing fair about this season.
It is just a season to get games done.
Some clubs have had no home ground advantage games in 17 rounds of football. There is nothing fair about a team finishing high boosted by much more home ground advantages in 17 rounds getting more home ground advantages in finals based on the advantages they already gained from already.
Would have been fairer to base this seasons finals series in all Queensland given crowds maximisation cannot be the priority in current circumstances league works within.
If Port and Brisbane top two, the fairest way of doing it, in this weird season schedule would have been Brisbane play their finals at Gold Coast and Port at the Gabba, imo. But it is not going to happen so not worth worry about too much given the season already has to be compromised anyway.

Proper advantages?

You mean like playing at home twice when you finish top 2?
I still don’t understand the OP. Was he saying that Port would get home finals even to teams they finished lower than? That’s not true is it? Don’t Port just get home finals when they’re higher ranked, except for GF? Don’t really see what the problem is.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back