why are Port allowed interstate finals?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Richmond played 5 games in Victoria, 4 at the MCG, Port have played 7 in SA. Not a massive difference hey?
7 is more then 5 and geelong is even less than 5. the difference in ladder positions is determined by 1 and half games. Also those 7 port games gave you home state advantage in all of them. Thats not the case for richmond and geelong Who played neutral games in theIr couple of home games. Not to mention all of ports 7 home games had crowds. None of the victorian teams home games did.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Its quite funny that the "home state" advantage is being raised this season. I dont see any Victoria clubs fans whinging about having to play 17 out of 22 games in Victoria in any other year. This year is a complete anomaly. Yeh Port have played 7 at home, but Adelaide played 10 - how does that work?

West Coast played 7 in a row at home didnt they? Victorian teams have been away since Round 6 or whatever it is. The point is, every team has suffered, some more than others. It is what it is and not much can be done. If Port and Bris finish top and they are allowed home finals in their own state they 100% should get to play them at home (which they will be)....

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
Its quite funny that the "home state" advantage is being raised this season. I dont see any Victoria clubs fans whinging about having to play 17 out of 22 games in Victoria in any other year. This year is a complete anomaly. Yeh Port have played 7 at home, but Adelaide played 10 - how does that work?

West Coast played 7 in a row at home didnt they? Victorian teams have been away since Round 6 or whatever it is. The point is, every team has suffered, some more than others. It is what it is and not much can be done. If Port and Bris finish top and they are allowed home finals in their own state they 100% should get to play them at home (which they will be)....
Cos most of victorians 17 home games dont have home state advantage. Its pretty obvious.

and yes it is what it is. So all finals should be in queensland To make it as fair as possible.

home finals should only exist in years where the home and away is location allocations are fair. Thats not the case this year. How much advantage does Port want?

Richmond played 5 games in Victoria, 4 at the MCG, Port have played 7 in SA. Not a massive difference hey?

So more games at home isn't a big deal?

Is this a general thing, or is it one of those things that only applies this year?

and just to confirm, playing at home, and having a genuine home ground advantage...how are they considered again?

I get confused by all these moving goalposts.

Honestly wasn't aware, thought SA was being a lot more forgiving then other states.
If It wasn’t for qld saving the comp this year Adelaide would of got the grand final probably why they ticked off port’s home finals straight away

Oct 16, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
So more games at home isn't a big deal?

Is this a general thing, or is it one of those things that only applies this year?

and just to confirm, playing at home, and having a genuine home ground advantage...how are they considered again?

I get confused by all these moving goalposts.

Does that Port poster realise you played 13 games at the MCG last year and Port played 12 at AO?
But with your 13 many were not an actual advantage.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Cos most of victorians 17 home games dont have home state advantage. Its pretty obvious.

and yes it is what it is. So all finals should be in queensland To make it as fair as possible.

home finals should only exist in years where the home and away is location allocations are fair. Thats not the case this year. How much advantage does Port want?
Port have earnt the right to host a home final and can do so in Adelaide. Ditto to Brisbane. Under your model, where do Bris host their final? In Perth or Adelaide? Cant give them "home state" advantage.

I can see your point, no doubt, bu i just dont agree.

To be honest I dont think it will matter as Geelong and Rich are likely to win wherever they go. If roles were reversed, and lets say SA was the COVID hotspot and Port we hubbing in QLD i would dead set have no issue if Rich or any Victorian who earnt a home final got to host it.

It is good commercially for the AFL too to allow 25k into Adelaide Oval and similar in Perth or Bris....

Jul 1, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Wildcats, Subiaco Lions, Bulls
WC played 5 (6 total including round 1) - which is why it was farcical Nth/ WCE game couldn't be scheduled in Perth.
Port play more games at AO.
Adelaide played Hawks at AO in Hawks "home game" a week later.
A lot of Victorian teams played almost as many home games before leaving Victoria.
It would have financially helped the Roos and AFL in a year they are sacking a lot of people.
But no... a couple of Victorian coaches didnt like it.

The only clubs that have really benefitted this year are Brisbane, GC and Adelaide.

Totally agree Port should be able to play any finals they can at AO though.

Oct 4, 2003
Portress
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
WC played 5 (6 total including round 1) - which is why it was farcical Nth/ WCE game couldn't be scheduled in Perth.
Port play more games at AO.
Adelaide played Hawks at AO in Hawks "home game" a week later.
A lot of Victorian teams played almost as many home games before leaving Victoria.
It would have financially helped the Roos and AFL in a year they are sacking a lot of people.
But no... a couple of Victorian coaches didnt like it.

The only clubs that have really benefitted this year are Brisbane, GC and Adelaide.

Totally agree Port should be able to play any finals they can at AO though.
Yeh right - got the number of Perth games wrong for the Eagles. Point is, its near on impossible to make it fair this year, and i do think the Vic teams have probably had it toughest, but i dont think it has cost a team a shot at the top 4 or even 8. Its not like Essendon would have made top 4 if they got to play another 4 or 5 games in Vic.

Feb 17, 2010
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not sure why Port are being singled out in this thread.

So there is no issues with Brisbane playing majority of the season in their home state, home finals and a home GF if they make it. Sure it’s due to the circumstances but why is it only port that’s a bridge too far by playing home? Should the Lions be forced to play their finals at Metricon or Cazalys based on the rationale of this thread?

WCE will get a home final if they finish 5th and they would have got home finals if they were first or second if it wasn’t due to the WA govt restrictions. Again, should port now be disadvantaged when they won the right to home finals because the WA govt is maintaining their strict border closure? No that’s ridiculous. The AFL have been very accommodating to WCE and worked to ensure they got a block of home games when the WA govt did not come to play ball to allow teams to fifo.

But suddenly it’s only unfair that port get to play home finals. The team that started the season in a hub early on, has travelled numerous times up to qld and also had to board flights at 4:30am in two occasions to play the same day and return. Port have earned the right for home finals just as the lions have at the Gabba and if the WA govt allowed teams to come and go then they would get home finals too.

Niggles

custom title:
Jan 5, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yes, It is actually. 6 (assuming you've played crows there) vs 0 is a fair advantage for Port regarding HGA.

How many of the Tigers 4 games at the G had any home ground advantage? Hey? What was that I cant hear you? Speak up, Oh, What! you're actually not even joking, you're saying "NOT EVEN 1 HGA for the tiges compared to 6 for port."
Oh ok. thanks for clearing that up.

You'll be shocked to learn that all 4 of Carlton, Hawks, Melb and Coll are all MCG tenants.... Waits for excuses....
"Yeah But but but"....No buts paps.
You've been kissed and touched tenderly on the genitalia. We've had ours surgically removed, yet are still ploughing through to the g spot.

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
We'll play our home finals in Brisbane if you allow grand finals to be played at the highest ranking teams home ground from now on.

Yeh didn't think so.
there is no highest ranking team in a grand final.

if the team that finishes 1st loses to 4th in the first final but then both teams make it to the grand final. Who is the highest ranking side?

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The team that didn't lose a final already? Seems pretty straight forward that one
Even though they finished 4th after 22 games and the other 1st? One game undoes 22 rounds of ranking?

what happens if the 4th and 3rd team both make it through to the grand final. The 3rd team finished slightly higher on the home and away ladder but the 4th team has beaten both the teams that finished 1st and 2nd to get there. Whereas the 3rd ranked team only beat the teams that finished 2nd and 8th. What happens then?

and what happens if gold coast gets through as the highest ranking team against brisbane? Should it be played at metricon or the gabba?

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yes, It is actually. 6 (assuming you've played crows there) vs 0 is a fair advantage for Port regarding HGA.

How many of the Tigers 4 games at the G had any home ground advantage? Hey? What was that I cant hear you? Speak up, Oh, What! you're actually not even joking, you're saying "NOT EVEN 1 HGA for the tiges compared to 6 for port."
Oh ok. thanks for clearing that up.

You'll be shocked to learn that all 4 of Carlton, Hawks, Melb and Coll are all MCG tenants.... Waits for excuses....
"Yeah But but but"....No buts paps.
You've been kissed and touched tenderly on the genitalia. We've had ours surgically removed, yet are still ploughing through to the g spot.

You're a Richmond supporter FFS. How much self awareness do you need to lack to pick on other teams getting an unfair advantage in finals?

In 2017 you got a home qualifying final against Geelong despite them finishing above you. Then you got a grand final at your home ground despite your opponent finishing on top of the ladder and winning both finals.

In 2018 you played 6 of your last 7 games at home.

In 2019 you played 9 of your last 10 games at home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back