Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Out of the last 15 years only two non Victorian teams have won the premiership

Why are the Melbourne based teams so much more dominant?

How do we help/fix the interstate teams?
Doesn’t help that they always have to play an away game for the grand final regardless of if they finished higher than their opponent

Doesn’t help that they always have to play an away game for the grand final regardless of if they finished higher than their opponent
Except of course for 2020 and 2021 when they didn’t make the GF, and that it and the finals were played away from Victoria.

Covid has exposed that the home ground advantage these teams get inflates their actual strength.

Last I checked Gold Coast and GWS are also interstate teams and also haven't won premierships.

I wasn't just talking about the Crows. The father/son rule disadvantages all interstate teams that weren't once Victorian teams. It disadvantages the Crows, Port, GWs, Gold Coast, WCE and Fremantle.

How?

Except of course for 2020 and 2021 when they didn’t make the GF, and that it and the finals were played away from Victoria.

Covid has exposed that the home ground advantage these teams get inflates their actual strength.

Eh? If the Lions and West Coast/Freo qualified for their respective home grand finals and lost you might have had a point.

Instead we had the 2 most neutral grand finals in history and it somehow makes a point about home ground advantage???

They get academies.
And Lookin' at all sides of the story, rightfully so.

Saying that, i follow freo. If the dockers want to find local talent, they look in the wafl.

You follow demons, you got the vfl and Tac cup.

You think swans or giants will find a Brownlow medal winner in the local nsw state league or in the NEAFL?

And Lookin' at all sides of the story, rightfully so.

Saying that, i follow freo. If the dockers want to find local talent, they look in the wafl.

You follow demons, you got the vfl and Tac cup.

You think swans or giants will find a Brownlow medal winner in the local nsw state league or in the NEAFL?

Actually there's a draft so our scouts look all over Australia. Luke Jackson, Kozzie Pickett, Trent Rivers, Van Rooyen, Woewodin none from Victoria.

Right now, you have to say only Brisbane and Sydney are almost certain to make the eight from all the non Vic clubs in the comp.

Think GWS will get their act together and make the eight (just) but massive alarm bells ringing about all other non Vic clubs right now me for me, aside from the Suns.

As a Carlton fan, couldn't be happier with our start to the season, but also as a big picture pragmatic footy fan, not really healthy for the league on a nationwide scale if we are going to have Vic teams make up the majority of the top 8/finals spots

Flummoxed on how to fix this current conundrum though, except to say the AFL needs to lower the criteria for Father/Son prospects in the WAFL/SANFL for the Eagles/Dockers/Crows/Power

The Northern State clubs are getting looked after all right by AFL House, the commission may want to turn its attention to the traditional (non Victorian) football states tbh

Right now, you have to say only Brisbane and Sydney are almost certain to make the eight from all the non Vic clubs in the comp.

Think GWS will get their act together and make the eight (just) but massive alarm bells ringing about all other non Vic clubs right now me for me, aside from the Suns.

As a Carlton fan, couldn't be happier with our start to the season, but also as a big picture pragmatic footy fan, not really healthy for the league on a nationwide scale if we are going to have Vic teams make up the majority of the top 8/finals spots

Flummoxed on how to fix this current conundrum though, except to say the AFL needs to lower the criteria for Father/Son prospects in the WAFL/SANFL for the Eagles/Dockers/Crows/Power

The Northern State clubs are getting looked after all right by AFL House, the commission may want to turn its attention to the traditional (non Victorian) football states tbh

Sydney and brisbane could be grand finalists.

Out of the other non Vic sides, yes GWS you’d think would get their act together, Port who knows but were diabolical on sat night, Freo in that mix of sides just around the 8 as well, West Coast we will see when they have a reasonably full side in, Crows rebuild mode and Suns start has been promising.

Long season, not many would of thought all of Carlton, Pies and Hawks would be 2-0.

What.
Eagles won a flag in 2018, power have played b2b prelims, crows made a gf in 2017 then the club ate itself.

Clearly these clubs aren’t struggling to build a list.

Maybe the AFL should just cancel the finals and remove scoring from the game, then give every ckub a partipation medal at the end of the home and away season.

Then we can argue which participation medals have asterisks beside them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Eagles, Docker, Crows, Power have all been around long enough now to have their own father son players - no need to amend those rules at all.

Eagles won a flag 4 years ago. Crows played in a GF 5 years ago. Power have played in multiple Prelims.

Last year Swans, GWS, Port and Brisbane all made top 8. Half the finals teams made up of 8/10s of the comp. Not a bad strike rate.

Nothing needs to be done, it's all cyclic and there will be a time in the not too distant future where there are 6 interstate and 2 Vic teams making up the 8.

Alarm bells lol. Oh no! Teams are not consistently good every year!

Port, Lions, Swans, GWS all made finals last year.

I can only think that we suffer from a combination of taking income from the traditional non-Victorian states for granted, and maybe a hangover from when interstate rivalries were significant and somewhat bitter.

Realistically its been decades of poor treatment from AFL House - Neglect at best, outright white-anting at worst (see the Gibbs scenario, locking the GF to Melbourne, etc).

I can only think that we suffer from a combination of taking income from the traditional non-Victorian states for granted, and maybe a hangover from when interstate rivalries were significant and somewhat bitter.

Realistically its been decades of poor treatment from AFL House - Neglect at best, outright white-anting at worst (see the Gibbs scenario, locking the GF to Melbourne, etc).
lol

so if you're not good enough to make the GF it instantly squashes the advantage you get if the GF is played on your home ground...and more so a home GF against an opponent that finishes higher than you travelling from interstate

lol..I will file this under "VFL logic"

Out of the last 15 years only two non Victorian teams have won the premiership

Why are the Melbourne based teams so much more dominant?

How do we help/fix the interstate teams?
Why 15 years? Why are we looking no further back than 2007? Is it because between 1997 and 2006, 8/10 flags was won by an interstate club?

What ‘conundrum’?

Adelaide were in a grand final 4 years ago,
West Coast won the flag in 2018,
Port have been one of the best sides in the comp for the last few years.

Hysterical stuff.

A while ago (and very stupid by the Swans football department at the time), whilst neither were Brownlow medalists, John Longmire and Wayne Carey come to mind.
Although I do agree with the point you make.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back