Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

Actually there's a draft so our scouts look all over Australia. Luke Jackson, Kozzie Pickett, Trent Rivers, Van Rooyen, Woewodin none from Victoria.
Well you realize Luke Jackson was like pick 3 in his draft year. So it was impossible for west coast or Freo to get him

I can only think that we suffer from a combination of taking income from the traditional non-Victorian states for granted, and maybe a hangover from when interstate rivalries were significant and somewhat bitter.

Realistically its been decades of poor treatment from AFL House - Neglect at best, outright white-anting at worst (see the Gibbs scenario, locking the GF to Melbourne, etc).

White anting lol blame the AFL and #VICBIAS because you're team choked in a Grand Final, because your club self imploded due to poor governance and leadership

Keep blaming everyone else though, it ensures you'll never fix anything which is better for the other clubs

so if you're not good enough to make the GF it instantly squashes the advantage you get if the GF is played on your home ground...and more so a home GF against an opponent that finishes higher than you travelling from interstate

lol..I will file this under "VFL logic"

Interstate club's need to worry about winning home finals first - if you can't do that then yes, where the GF is played is irrelevant

Luke Jackson and shane woewodin isnt from Victoria.

From what i heard, I assume Liam Jurrah isn't from Victoria.

Am i doing this right?

What's your point? My post was demonstrating that we recruit players from all over Australia. Just because we are based in Victoria does not limit us to picking up TAC Cup (or whatever it is called now) players. Every club has access to talent in the draft.

Maybe the AFL should just cancel the finals and remove scoring from the game, then give every ckub a partipation medal at the end of the home and away season.

It pretty much does.

Have shite finances?

No worries, the big well run clubs have to give you a barrow full of blue ribbons ($$$$$).

Pity for you the game is played on a footy field and not an accountants ledger
In the end sport is entertainment. Entertainment is a business. Other than not for profit businesses they are there to make money

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many of those years did an non Victorian team lose a home preliminary final resulting in the Victorian team that beat them winning the flag?

2015 - Fremantle lost to Hawthorn
2016 - GWS lost to Western Bulldogs

Any I’m missing any?

They’ve had the opportunities, they just haven’t taken them.
People tend to forget that 2015 Prelim final between Freo and hawks.

Freos form was horrile after round 10. Also their depth, especially up forward was horrible.

Hawks had form at the right time of year.

Hawks kicked 15.4.94 to freos 10.7.67. All of the hawks 4 behinds were rushed. not one missed set shot.

Game should have been played down at Geelong. Am I right cat fans? Even though Chris Scott said how good is the G
Don’t care about the grand final being played at the G. More how to improve the obvious failing of non Victorian teams. Obviously something needs to be done. Whether it is more salary cap or better facilities or more coaches or something

Don’t care about the grand final being played at the G. More how to improve the obvious failing of non Victorian teams. Obviously something needs to be done. Whether it is more salary cap or better facilities or more coaches or something
Well they tried moving the GF for 2 years, that didn't work.

Didn’t read my comment I see, again don’t care where the Gf is played more about how to improve the non Victorian teams
It could just be a matter of Vic clubs are ran better, with a couple of exceptions, because WC seem to not have any problems getting to finals and winning them.

So maybe all you need to do is run the clubs better.

It could just be a matter of Vic clubs are ran better, with a couple of exceptions, because WC seem to not have any problems getting to finals and winning them.

So maybe all you need to do is run the clubs better.
I agree to a sense, it’s time AFL gives non-Victorian teams more soft cap space for quality senior admin staff/coaches.

I agree to a sense, it’s time AFL gives non-Victorian teams more soft cap space for quality senior admin staff/coaches.
Oh you want the league to be uneven that way, you want help?

I got an idea, how about we just give you 8 points to start the year?

Or maybe you get a bye every 8 weeks to rest your players and get 2 points per bye?

Oh you want the league to be uneven that way, you want help?

I got an idea, how about we just give you 8 points to start the year?

Or maybe you get a bye every 8 weeks to rest your players and get 2 points per bye?
Clearly Melbourne teams have an advantage, interstate teams were stronger in the early 2000s as player movement was not as common. Now every good player wants to play for a big Victorian team making it impossible for interstate teams to dominate for a long period of time. Non Victorian teams need assistance, more cap space, more soft cap space, better facilities etc. it’s not the VFL anymore

Clearly Melbourne teams have an advantage, interstate teams were stronger in the early 2000s as player movement was not as common. Now every good player wants to play for a big Victorian team making it impossible for interstate teams to dominate for a long period of time. Non Victorian teams need assistance, more cap space, more soft cap space, better facilities etc. it’s not the VFL anymore
Should just improve your city then.

Why do collingwood lose grand finals more than any other team? It must be an inherent disadvantage and not their own fault, i demand an afl enquiry to ensure that next time the pies make a granny they god damn win it.
I wouldn’t mind one either, we’ve only won one in over 50 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back