Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

These are things that haven't happened yet and it might happen too late with some aging players on Brisbane's list. I am not sure they have had more luck than any Vic club either. There was an investigation when it was deemed the non Vic's were winning too many flags. The result was a bunch of changes over the next few years and few non vic flags since.
I thought they had no real conclusions and dropped the whole thing once Geelong won it?

What changes are you claiming were a result of it? And is there any doco to support this?

Short of giving the highest ranked Grand Final team hosting rights at their home ground/state every year (something I personally am in favour of myself, but due to politics and other factors involved will unlikely happen on our lifetime) I am not sure what the AFL really can do to try make more non Victorian clubs win flags in the short-medium term.
Even up nga
Even up father son

Advantage based on percentage of home grown talent on your list.

Spread afl employees through out country would help as well

There may have been an investigation into non Vic clubs winning flags, but I don't think anything or much came out of it to rectify the situation.

West Coast's Premiership window from that period was shut firmly because of Ben Cousins and its rampant unsavoury substance abuse culture at the time, nothing to do with Victoria.

What I will say is Brisbane were severely shafted being forced to play their home preliminary final in 2004 at the G against Geelong, probably cost them a legit chance of a four-peat next week against Port.

Short of giving the highest ranked Grand Final team hosting rights at their home ground/state every year (something I personally am in favour of myself, but due to politics and other factors involved will unlikely happen on our lifetime) I am not sure what the AFL really can do to try make more non Victorian clubs win flags in the short-medium term.

Unfortunately Free Agency and Trading for Out of Contract stars/players does seem to heavily favour Victorian clubs I admit.

Would like to see some changes/modifications to the F/A system myself, but unfortunately the AFLPA has far to much influence to allow it to happen..

I am not convinced at all that the Players Association have the best interests of clubs at heart (especially non Victorian clubs)
I appreciate your considerations here, finding a Vic club supporter who will publicly acknowledge the inequalities without finishing with a 'bad luck you joined our league' is a rarity.

I thought they had no real conclusions and dropped the whole thing once Geelong won it?

What changes are you claiming were a result of it? And is there any doco to support this?
So what youre saying is there might or might not have been changes made to support Vic clubs but without a document which I seriously doubt the AFL would offer up or leave to chance discovery, you wont acknowledge it.
C'mon, your own club just handed the AFL a damning report that still wouldnt have seen the light of day had it not been leaked.
They dont need to write an admission statement to identify avenues to favor Vic clubs in order to act on them.

So what youre saying is there might or might not have been changes made to support Vic clubs but without a document which I seriously doubt the AFL would offer up or leave to chance discovery, you wont acknowledge it.
C'mon, your own club just handed the AFL a damning report that still wouldnt have seen the light of day had it not been leaked.
They dont need to write an admission statement to identify avenues to favor Vic clubs in order to act on them.
What were the changes?

Lol, Free agency and 2 more feeder clubs given an abundance of top draft picks that have returned to Vic clubs under FA.

Now prove they they werent devised from the results.
The free agency came about because of the Luke Ball non trade.

And you're joking about the 2 feeder clubs aren't you, if you have nothing, just admit it, you look silly digging holes.

Lol, Free agency and 2 more feeder clubs given an abundance of top draft picks that have returned to Vic clubs under FA.

Now prove they they werent devised from the results.
You are claiming they introduced 2 new teams in other states in order to help Vic teams win flags?

And the reason free agency was introduced was to help Vic teams win more flags?

To answer the OP…

Port Adelaide- Sack their coach and president who supports the coach. They have had a decent squad but how games have been played out in the box has cost them success.

Freo - They are on their way. A strong year and a young list and a coach with a solid game plan.

West Coast - Won the flag in 2018 and now a rebuild is required to regenerate their list. These things happen to successful teams.

Brisbane- Been thereabouts in home and away over the last few years. The addition of Dunkley may see them contend next year.

Gold Coast- they need a Brisbane style reset to bring the players together and help them to stay. Also need to sack their list manager who pays ordinary players extraordinary coin.

GWS- A new coach that gives some sort of defensive mindset will make a huge difference next year. They have talent and draft picks coming out of their eyeballs, just need a coach to harness it.

Sydney- what an amazing rebuild. Notwithstanding yesterdays horror show, they have a great squad of young players who will only get better.

Adelaide- Get rid of any admin who is still around from the Leading Teams days. Ricciuto still having a role at the club after urging players to ‘get over it’ is an absolute disgrace. Need to load up at the draft and on younger traded in talent.

I think the big difference is vic clubs can add 2 or 3 players easily via trade and free agency.

Geelong added 7 or 8 players, Melbourne at least 3, Hawks 4 or 5, Richmond 2 or 3.

Non Vic clubs just don't have the number of players coming to their state. That is why they are falling short.
Look, I am not going to preternd I am an expert on thsi, but don't Freo trade for players all the time, maybe i'm wrong but it seems you are just not very good at picking good ones, and have had some bad luck.

Just because some clubs made the right choices is not their fault, Sydney have been a tad unlucky with Buddy, could have won a couple, and didn't WC get Yeo?

Look, I am not going to preternd I am an expert on thsi, but don't Freo trade for players all the time, maybe i'm wrong but it seems you are just not very good at picking good ones, and have had some bad luck.

Just because some clubs made the right choices is not their fault, Sydney have been a tad unlucky with Buddy, could have won a couple, and didn't WC get Yeo?

Freo losing a brownlow medalist (very close to a dual one too) in Lachie Neale to another club would hurt then any more than any of their trade misses imo.

I do honestly feel for Dockers fans though, seems like they have been screwed over more than any other expansion/non Victorian team ever since they entered the league in 1995 (some of it by their own hand admittedly, but they really were jibbed by their pitiful start up concessions and picks)

Freo fans probably have more right to feel aggrieved about The AFL and how it's run than any other club supporters in the league (although I think North fans should feel aggrieved too)

Mind you, I think it also stinks that the Adelaide Crows were punished far more for Tippettgate from a draft and trading perspective than Essendon and their shocking and illegal peptides scandal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo losing a brownlow medalist (very close to a dual one too) in Lachie Neale to another club would hurt then any more than any of their trade misses imo.

I do honestly feel for Dockers fans though, seems like they have been screwed over more than any other expansion/non Victorian team ever since they entered the league in 1995 (some of it by their own hand admittedly, but they really were jibbed by their pitiful start up concessions and picks)

Freo fans probably have more right to feel aggrieved about The AFL and how it's run than any other club supporters in the league (although I think North fans should feel aggrieved too)

Mind you, I think it also stinks that the Adelaide Crows were punished far more for Tippettgate from a draft and trading perspective than Essendon and their shocking and illegal peptides scandal.
Lachie went to Brissie, not Vic. and talk about Brissie, they got Lyon and Daniher and this year are getting Dunkley aren't they?

Every club in the league will have hard luck stories, but some clubs just roll up their sleeves and get on with it, jeeze, my club is paying a player to play at another club.

Have you asked them why?
From what I heard.... I can't confirm this...

Rory Lobb: his girlfriend is from Victoria and he just bought a 1.8 million dollar house. Contracted until 2023. If Logue is traded, I think list management wise Freo will keep him.

Logue : this is partially the Freo boards fault for low balling him. I personally would of given him a 2 year extension at $500-$600,000 a year. That leaves him until the end of 2024. Like fellow 2016 draftees in Brennan Cox and Sean Darcy, would of made him a free agent.

Acres: like Logue, he is low balled financially. I didn't mind his 3 years here. 1st year in 2020, he only played like 7-8 games in an injury riddled season. This year he has been solid. Like Logue, I would of given him a 2 year extension at $500-$600,000 a year too.

The free agency came about because of the Luke Ball non trade.

And you're joking about the 2 feeder clubs aren't you, if you have nothing, just admit it, you look silly digging holes.
Show me the AFL document that says we introduced FA because of Luke Ball.

You are claiming they introduced 2 new teams in other states in order to help Vic teams win flags?

And the reason free agency was introduced was to help Vic teams win more flags?
Yep, considering 2 of the biggest recruits of the past 4 GF appearances have included Cameron and Lynch from GWS and GC.
Prove otherwise.

Not winning a flag 6 years in a row, not having a team in the GF for the last 3 of those and having hardly any in the prelims those years for a state that made up more than 60% of the teams at the time is a huge statistical outlier.

Not winning a flag for 4 years but having teams in the GF half of those years for states that make up 44% of the teams is not really much of an outlier at all.
Ah this stupid old chest nut.

So since 2007 only the 2012 swans and 2018 eagles have won flags as a non Victorian side?

Yep that's your 44.4 percentage right there.

Again.... Hawks in 2013-5 had the easiest 3 peat of all time.

If you add Bombers getting pick 1 due to missing all their players, plus the Crows losing Tippett for nothing, in reality it cost the Crows 3 firsts and 3 second round pick.

You really think the AFL haven't been investigating ways for interstate clubs to keep and attract players?

The whole Vic investigation thing back in 2007 was a beat up, there are constant investigations going on into why teams aren't going well, the Vic one got more media due to some parochial types making some noise.
Ah this old chest nut LoL

Everyone know there was an investigation at the end of 2006 on why Victorian clubs struggled.

Even Andrew Demitriou acknowledged it.

It was an insult that FREO of all sides finished above all Victorian clubs that season. The only time in history that occurred

I think the big difference is vic clubs can add 2 or 3 players easily via trade and free agency.

Geelong added 7 or 8 players, Melbourne at least 3, Hawks 4 or 5, Richmond 2 or 3.

Non Vic clubs just don't have the number of players coming to their state. That is why they are falling short.
Counter argument - Vic clubs are also competing against considerably more clubs in their state to land a player who wants to play in Vic.

The AFLPA were the one who wanted it and if they didn't get it there may have been trouble.

Show us your version, because you are the one who said it was brought about by the investigation.
All heresay without documents.

Lol, thats the thing with you Vicco's, always put the burden of proof on everyone else whilst enjoying 14 flags in the 16yrs since the inquiry.
I think the circumstantial evidence to support our case is overwhelming.
Documents to the contrary please.

Let's be honest... the Big 4 + Hawthorn and Geelong are all destination clubs. Ok, maybe not Essendon (at the moment). Whereas pretty much NO non-Victorian team is a destination club... with the possible exception of Sydney who seem to be doing a very good job and dislodging a superstar from Victoria every few years. I reckon a few clubs should be looking at what Sydney are doing, because somehow they are always in the hunt when a big name trade is being speculated.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back