Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

At least when pressed you are honest about it, unlike the rest trying to piss in our pockets and calling it rain.

No one can deny what it was the Narional Competition/Non Vic clubs that saved the VFL, prevented most Victorian clubs from folding.

I think we (Victorians) should try and throw non Vic/Interstate clubs more of a bone for that reason alone.

Although I don't approve of non Vic club supporters calling for some Vic clubs to merge/relocate or fold.

No one can deny what it was the Narional Competition/Non Vic clubs that saved the VFL, prevented most Victorian clubs from folding.

I think we (Victorians) should try and throw non Vic/Interstate clubs more of a bone for that reason alone.

Although I don't approve of non Vic club supporters calling for some Vic clubs to merge/relocate or fold.
It wasn't just the Vics who were broke, WA could have let us fold, but the clubs took bribes and voted WC in, and the idiots jumped at the chance to follow a club in the VFL.

Now IMO they have realised they have been taken for a ride, but are too ashamed to admit it.

Yeah that's true , but that's more of a disadvantage/advantage for the player rather than the club
But my point still stands.

That's deadset what I'm saying is that every club in the whole league has their advantages and disadvantages. Everyone seemss to fail to get this
But they're not equal advantages and disadvantages

I agree on the MCG GF.

However I'm gonna disagree with you on free agency. To me it's not as simple as Victoria's got more players. This might seem like an advantage for Victoria to you guys.
When a player wants to come home to Victoria, there's 10 clubs to choose from. Him going to Collingwood doesn't advantage my mob at all, or 90% of Victorian clubs in that deal.
To put simply, there's a (rough) 10% chance for a Victorian club to get their homesick player back. Whereas if a player is going back home to WA, there's 50/50 chance you'll get him.

I get it, the AFL's uneven as hell. I've said it a million, But every club across the whole league gets advantages and disadvantages
I think it helps the vic clubs in the top 4.
They are naturally attractive to players and they can get 2 or 3 more players and push for a flag.

Absolutely there is a huge amount of Vic bias built into the AFL, but most of it is baked-in as a result of competition origins.
The nga system is my biggest gripe.

There was no need to favour the Vic's over sa and wa, but the vic clubs thought they may get an advantage so the vic clubs got the nga a year before sa and wa, and then when they did get it, it was only half the advantage the Vic's got.

But they're not equal advantages and disadvantages
We're all biased towards our own club and every supporter in the league seems to think their club is hard done by.

I won't argue a lower ranked vic team getting an MCG grandfinal is fair (which hasn't happened since 2018 mind you) and maybe some of the real Big Vic clubs will get more advantages than disadvantages

But for every other club , For the most part they even out, I could argue that all day. I think we could all take some ownership in our clubs woes rather than always blaming the AFL or Victoria.

Also, my Mob finished on top and did alright without the MCG anyway😉

Have you not noticed that all the other mcg club fans have gone quiet? You are the only one flailing away here like a fish out of water.
True. They're obviously smarter than me and've given up trying to reason with you. It's like arguing with a fundamentalist christian that the world was not created in 6 days some 6.5 thousand years ago. Or trying to enlighten an antvaxer of global warming sceptic.
I think I'll join them and let you think that you've 'won'. Not sure what you think you've won exactly, but I'll let you have it anyway. Partly because I feel a bit sorry for you.

God I'm a nice guy.

True. They're obviously smarter than me and've given up trying to reason with you. It's like arguing with a fundamentalist christian that the world was not created in 6 days some 6.5 thousand years ago. Or trying to enlighten an antvaxer of global warming sceptic.
I think I'll join them and let you think that you've 'won'. Not sure what you think you've won exactly, but I'll let you have it anyway. Partly because I feel a bit sorry for you.

God I'm a nice guy.
Unable to address the point grin thinks hes clever throwing up non sequiturs and bloviating not realising kranky al isnt arguing to win him over - hes arguing to win fans of other teams like the saints who played collingwood at the g for a draw then a loss that would almost have been a win at their own ground or a neutral interstate ground. It doesnt just affect interstate clubs, if anything they can get a rawer deal playing you in finals and gfs at the mcg when they are the higher ranked team.

So yeah keep flopping around and being irrelevant. The other guys know when you defend the indefensible you are better off stfu and moving onto something else.

You keep dragging the attention back to the point i wish to make.

Last edited:
I find it amazing that majority of Victorian team supporters refuse to face the facts that they are hugely favored by both free agency and MCG GF. Why refuse to admit it when the stats are clear?
The MCG GF is a huge advantage and for some it's there home deck. To play a GF on your home deck is a massive advantage on top of sleeping in your own bed and not having to travel. It's doesn't happen in the Super Bowl except very very occasionally. eg Super Bowl 56 was played at the home of the Rams but it is locked in years in advance.

The travel for the WA teams and the time difference vs some of the big Melbourne teams travel very little (a massive disparity in km traveled throughout the season).

The MCG GF is a huge advantage and for some it's there home deck. To play a GF on your home deck is a massive advantage on top of sleeping in your own bed and not having to travel. It's doesn't happen in the Super Bowl except very very occasionally. eg Super Bowl 56 was played at the home of the Rams but it is locked in years in advance.

The travel for the WA teams and the time difference vs some of the big Melbourne teams travel very little (a massive disparity in km traveled throughout the season).
Yeah you're probably right, this sleeping in a strange bed has got to stop, I mean cricketers have no hope of performing.

I think everyone should just go back to the comp they came from and everything will be sweet.

Yeah you're probably right, this sleeping in a strange bed has got to stop, I mean cricketers have no hope of performing.

Weird that you’re bringing international cricket into the argument when home ground advantage is one of the most significant factors in deciding the result of a match.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think everyone should just go back to the comp they came from and everything will be sweet.
So your answer is all non Vic clubs should return to there state leagues eg SANFL WAFL etc? If that is your answer great contribution to this thread.

So the AFL will just be 10 teams all Vic teams that would be a quality national comp

Mate even the home side sleep in strange beds, most of the players come from around the country they play in.
Yes mate, I’m aware.

The sleeping in your own bed is likely a tiny portion of what makes home ground advantage.

But what it adds to is the overall familiarity of the surroundings and conditions at the ground/city/country etc you’re playing in.

And there would be very few sports in the world that demonstrate this better than international cricket.

Yes mate, I’m aware.

The sleeping in your own bed is likely a tiny portion of what makes home ground advantage.

But what it adds to is the overall familiarity of the surroundings and conditions at the ground/city/country etc you’re playing in.

And there would be very few sports in the world that demonstrate this better than international cricket.
Sleeping in a strange bed is the biggest joke I have heard so far.

So your answer is all non Vic clubs should return to there state leagues eg SANFL WAFL etc? If that is your answer great contribution to this thread.

So the AFL will just be 10 teams all Vic teams that would be a quality national comp
Listen to you sooking, if you want a fair comp, go follow something you think is fair, the GF is not moving until after your probably gone from this earth, so you will be sooking for many more years yet.

Easiest thing would be go to your clubs, and tell them you aren't happen and to do something about it, nothing is going to change by crying on here.

Listen to you sooking, if you want a fair comp, go follow something you think is fair, the GF is not moving until after your probably gone from this earth, so you will be sooking for many more years yet.

Easiest thing would be go to your clubs, and tell them you aren't happen and to do something about it, nothing is going to change by crying on here.
The GF venue won't change? Mate all it will take is a change of CEO and a bit of pressure from the right people and the contract will crumble. The people who have been instrumental in creating it will soon be irrelevant to AFL proceedings and more Non Vic teams entering into the comp will provide the required pressure.

The GF venue won't change? Mate all it will take is a change of CEO and a bit of pressure from the right people and the contract will crumble. The people who have been instrumental in creating it will soon be irrelevant to AFL proceedings and more Non Vic teams entering into the comp will provide the required pressure.
Well stop the talking and let's see you take some action, because I call bullshit, the contract will go the full distance and then they will draw up another contact for 50 more years.

Well stop the talking and let's see you take some action, because I call bullshit, the contract will go the full distance and then they will draw up another contact for 50 more years.
Therin lies your delusion LL. It won't and can't be me. But do you think the GF, which has already been played at the Gabba and 0ptus, was allowed to happen without some backroom bargaining? Bigger goings on will happen within the next decade in the AFL if it is going to thrive.

Therin lies your delusion LL. It won't and can't be me. But do you think the GF, which has already been played at the Gabba and 0ptus, was allowed to happen without some backroom bargaining? Bigger goings on will happen within the next decade in the AFL if it is going to thrive.
There must be something you know that I don't then, because not 1 club so far have said anything about getting it moved, only supporters on here crying there eyes out, but to be fair, they would cry anyway, because in my experience, they mostly are sooks, even if the GF was rotated, they would find something else to cry about.

You could always just wind it back to 1990 and do what we should have done then and add in a Tassie team and remove all the rest that were added on as a mistake. :p
Camry Crows and Port Power disbanded and the SANFL renewed with SA fans following their local Norwood, Port Adelaide Magpies, Sturt etc. Fremantle Dockers with no premierships is neither here nor there so no loss there for their fans. Just follow Subiaco, East Freo, South Freo or whatever.

It would leave us with a better standard league of 14 clubs. Play each other twice over 26 rounds and the talent in the 14 clubs would be a higher standard than 18 clubs.
:heavycheck:

You could always just wind it back to 1990 and do what we should have done then and add in a Tassie team and remove all the rest that were added on as a mistake. :p
Camry Crows and Port Power disbanded and the SANFL renewed with SA fans following their local Norwood, Port Adelaide Magpies, Sturt etc. Fremantle Dockers with no premierships is neither here nor there so no loss there for their fans. Just follow Subiaco, East Freo, South Freo or whatever.

It would leave us with a better standard league of 14 clubs. Play each other twice over 26 rounds and the talent in the 14 clubs would be a higher standard than 18 clubs.
:heavycheck:

How much of the media rights would be lost ie MONEY?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back