Opinion Why are the interstate teams so bad? How do we fix them?

Remove this Banner Ad

People follow one club, people don’t get excited when another Vic club wins.

I know that to be mostly true.

But I think a lot of non-Victorian posters dont realise this or believe it to be true because that sentiment is not shared by a number of elements in the national AFL media.
They hear barracking in the commentators box (or game only being called from team's viewpoint etc) and assume otherwise.
1631363259903.png

West Coast - won a flag, got older Richmond
Freo - have simply never been a strong club (little brother? finances? facilities?), still rebuilding from their one tilt at it. Promising signs that they could get going soon St Kilda

Adel - had a good run of finals, made a grand final, rebuilding, bit of a boys club? Coll
Port - been a solid team and club for a long time but can't take the leap? Maybe the coach and list aren't quite there? Geel

GWS - super list, do a lot right as a club but battle with injuries and getting it all together. Dogs under Eade?
Syd - superb club, completing a very solid rebuild Hawks (but further ahead)

Suns - have been undone by poor resources and a heap of mistakes. Melb 07-14?
Bris - good team, decent club, just haven't got over the line yet Better version of North under Scott?

Port, Bris and GWS are the 3 non Vic teams who should've made finals and did and progressed to about the right level. Swans were a bonus. I don't think there's a reason they've fallen short based on their location. GWS had it tougher being in Melbourne for such a chunk of the season but the Lions and Power had advantages of a fairly steady home run.

There are 10 clubs in Victoria. There will always be at least a couple of Victorian clubs in contention. Add in the inherent victorian advantage in finals and this means that Victoria as a market will always win more flags. As is being shown over the past decade.

Equalisation please

This doesn’t explain the last 2 years though.

But I think a lot of non-Victorian posters dont realise this or believe it to be true because that sentiment is not shared by a number of elements in the national AFL media.
They hear barracking in the commentators box (or game only being called from team's viewpoint etc) and assume otherwise.
View attachment 1233275
national AFL media and post a picture of a Victorian News Paper. Geez

Keeping drumming this story along

Nothing to with Port sucking tonight and other certain clubs failing

Classic Robbo. If you take him and Eddie McGuire out I think the vast majority of Victorian footy fans are hoping for their own side to win it or an interstate side. The Eagles winning in 2018 was wonderful.

So you’re saying we inflate our ladder position by our home games? So we are worst than what it appears, shouldn’t an enquiry happen then if that’s the case?

Non Victorian teams every year travel the most and teams like Carlton barely leave Victoria. No doubt must come into play.

I think if Carlton had 11 true home games at Princes Park we’d be far better off than we currently are, and we’d be far better off than the other 8 Melbourne sides, despite having the same amount of travel.

So it’s a problem 2 Vic sides who didn’t play a final at home have made the GF?

What do you suggest? A handicap system?
I suggest a salary cap increase to all interstate teams and a re look at the fixture so interstate teams travel less. I suggest a look into the draft so bottom 10 teams get more picks and top 4 teams don’t get a first rounder. I suggest interstate teams get more funding and money to spend on coaches.. I suggest having more media coverage for interstate teams to promote sponsors..

I can suggest a lot of changes that the AFL should introduce

So you’re saying we inflate our ladder position by our home games? So we are worst than what it appears, shouldn’t an enquiry happen then if that’s the case?

Non Victorian teams every year travel the most and teams like Carlton barely leave Victoria. No doubt must come into play.

Well Geelong since 2012 have had similar problems to interstate sides in finals.

Your argument of using Carlton actually argues against your point. We have just been rubbish, regardless of where games are played.

Classic Robbo. If you take him and Eddie McGuire out I think the vast majority of Victorian footy fans are hoping for their own side to win it or an interstate side. The Eagles winning in 2018 was wonderful.

Exactly. In the vast majority of cases, if it's not Hawthorn I want a non-Victorian team to win so I don't have to put up with smug supporters at work, at the pub, etc. Yes, I get the hypocrisy.

BTW - tonght was an exception. I don't think I could have put with more posts in the Hawthorn ignoring the top end of the draft thread.

Yeah but clearly something is wrong if interstate teams have a 2 out of 15 premiership record

No there isn’t, how about we go last 2 years, then it’s 8 out of last 21.

Even with what you are saying, what does this have to do with your side shitting the bed at home with every conceivable advantage in their favour?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1992-2007 10/16 grand finals were won by a non Victorian team.

its called cycles at some point in the future maybe 10,20,50,100 years a Victorian will complain that non Victorian teams are winning too many flags
or ask for a inquiry into the struggles of Victorian afl clubs aka 2006.

Australian Rules legend Ron Barassi has called for a inquiry into the declining fortunes of Victoria's 10 AFL clubs.

The Melbourne Demons and the Western Bulldogs both crashed out of the finals this weekend, making it the first time in history that Victoria will be without at least one team in the preliminary finals stage.

Instead Adelaide, West Coast, Fremantle and Sydney will line up next weekend to decide who plays off for the premiership.

Victoria is also facing a third straight year without a club in the grand final, which will be played at the game's spiritual home at the MCG in Melbourne.

Barassi said the AFL needed to lead an investigation to find the reason's behind Victoria's lack of strength.

"Number one in a professional game is usually money, I suspect it's got something to do with money," he said.

"Most of the interstate clubs are far more wealthy than most of the Victorian clubs. So it could be that, and if it is that, we've got to do something about it.

"You should be doing something about that, investigating as to why, and if there is a why that can be fixed, you fix it," he added.

"You don't want any one section to be continually dominating unless of course they get it through fair means. That's a different story altogether, but that's the reason why I take this stance."

But Geelong chief executive Brian Cook, whose club failed to make the last eight this year, said the focus needed to shift away from what was wrong with Victorian football and move onto what was right with the interstate set-ups.

"Having the pick of the best in their state is the big thing, so they naturally get the best talent," he said.

"They recruit very well, they seem to develop their players very well, and they seem to actually fast track the development of their younger players.

"So all of those things - there must be reasons behind that, it's not simply luck."

national AFL media and post a picture of a Victorian News Paper. Geez

Keeping drumming this story along

Nothing to with Port sucking tonight and other certain clubs failing

Mine was a friendly post agreeing with the poster I quoted but discussing the reason some posters may be mistaken.
And I agree with your last statement.

But you can drama queen it up all you like..

Without knowing the stats someone look up the top fifty ranked players and WHERE they originate from. I am sure Victorian players dominate the AFL. When interstate teams get good i would bet it's on the back of Victorian star power that's been bought.

Example,

Gold Coast as we know can only succeed IF Victorian youngsters want to stay. If they go home, they will struggle until they fold.

Mine was a friendly post agreeing with the poster I quoted but discussing the reason some posters may be mistaken.
And I agree with your last statement.

But you can drama queen it up all you like..
Drama queens are the people making a deal about which state the best teams come from

I suggest a salary cap increase to all interstate teams and a re look at the fixture so interstate teams travel less. I suggest a look into the draft so bottom 10 teams get more picks and top 4 teams don’t get a first rounder. I suggest interstate teams get more funding and money to spend on coaches.. I suggest having more media coverage for interstate teams to promote sponsors..

So how come the dogs with being flung all over the country and not able to train properly beat your mob by 12 goals?

West Coast have more money than anyone, do you suggest they need an even greater salary cap?

None of the Adelaide or Perth clubs are struggling financially in any way.

Without knowing the stats someone look up the top fifty ranked players and WHERE they originate from. I am sure Victorian players dominate the AFL. When interstate teams get good i would bet it's on the back of Victorian star power that's been bought.

Example,

Gold Coast as we know can only succeed IF Victorian youngsters want to stay. If they go home, they will struggle until they fold.
Hence why free agency in afl is not right

Really not taking the Port choke well 😭

So how come the dogs with being flung all over the country and not able to train properly beat your mob by 12 goals?

West Coast have more money than anyone, do you suggest they need an even greater salary cap?

None of the Adelaide or Perth clubs are struggling financially in any way.
None of the Adelaide or Perth clubs? Port are like 13 million dollars in debt?

Again this is not about tonight, I know port lost. This is about overall the last 15 years. I do suggest giving interstate clubs more money yes, that includes west coast

Interstate teams coast through the season on home ground advantage only to get found out when it matters.
Yep. Had all home ground advantage and turned toes up when did not get off to easy start. All too hard if you used to riding on coat tails of HGA so many times during the year to get you into finals.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back