Why are the pies hated so much?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jealousy is not part of the equation for me because I've seen my club have a lot more success than the Magpies. For me, it's the mob of b & w supporters that feel the need to bag every other team if it is even hinted that they are better than the Pies. No one dusts off a flag from the 1920's and obnoxiously waves it in your face like a Collingwood supporter.

Most Collingwood supporters have seen the Magpies win one flag and yet they will stand in line to ridicule other teams. When the Lions beat the Magpies in each of 2 GFs, I heard many Pie supporters cry that the Lions had cheated. Even today, with Collingwood holding up the AFL ladder, Pie supporters are in denial and will bring up 1990 like it was last September!

But the main reason I don't like the Magpies is that when I was young we lived about a 1/2 mile from a gaol. I would walk past the gaol on my way to and from the shops in the center of town. One Saturday arvo I was walking with mum past the gaol and there was mad screaming and yelling from inside. I was a little scared and asked mum if it was a prison riot. She said not to worry and told me that a Collingwood match must be on the radio. She told me most prisoners were Collingwood supporters. My mum was usually right!

I don't think the majority of opposition supporters can really pinpoint why we're hated so much, it's just always been there. Most people these days say it's because of Eddie, but we were hated a long time before he was around. I think Eddie is hated because of collingwood not the other way around.

There is no rational reason. It's just a tradition. I'd say much of it stems from the suburban history of the league - Collingwood has always been an industrial, working-class area and the supporters from that region were perhaps a little vulgar at times, so now today's fans are stuck being called 'the filth' and other such names. This goes back decades so the real reasons behind the hatred Collingwood attracts are probably dead.

Why are the pies hated so much?

Err, did you see the Footy Show tonight? How many times did Eddie miss-use his power and mention f***ing sponsors? I'll start you off, there was Emirates, Sony, Crazy Johns....

If only he wasn't on TFS, if only he wasn't on Moolyanaire, if only he didn't have his finger in every pie....if only...

He may have brought money to Collingwood, but he can't buy them a premiership...although he'll probably try...if he hasn't already...

diehard pie said:
That's it. :mad:
Ever since I started following footy I've had no idea why every single ********ing person who follows football despises Collingwood.
Why?What have we done to deserve such abuse. What is at Pieland that makes you people think we are unworthy of being treated fairly and with respect. Is it the players? The supporters? It can't be Eddie because we've been hated a long time before he rocked up.
I need a reason. Collingwood needs a reason.
The best 3 reasons I have been given are:
1)Cause I just do
2)Everyone else does
3)Because it's Collingwood
Have we ********ed you off personally or did you just see everyone else bagging us and decided to be a soft-******** follower and jump on the anti-Collingwood bandwagon.
Carlton and Essedon are one thing that's a rivalry. But the others if there is no other reason we'll have to assume it's jealousy. Jealousy for our on and off field success.
Prove me wrong.
I want a reason. Not just they're "********ers" or "tools', fact.
If you can give me that I'll shut up and ******** off.
But if you can't, think twice the next time you go and tag along and give the black and white unwarranted abuse we probably do not deserve.
Most of you will probably call me a sook and say to get over it but think if your team was given this treatment.
I'm sick of always having to defend the team I so passionately support.
********ing sick to death.

Heh.

******** OFF COOOOLINGWOOOD.

Est1892 said:
It's called COLLIPHOBIA and it is a reasonable fear - we've always been here, always will be.
The phobia...
B0000CCY1P.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Becuase your wooden spoon is ********ing massive :(

Because they are the team of choice for the mindless populist. They are not cult or alternative - they are like the "Creed" of the AFL.

Because their fans are spoon-fed piles and piles of doggy-doo in the media about how successful they are (and they stupidly swallow it), and yet they have won 1 premiership in almost 50 years - a pathetic history for the AFL's self-proclaimed "super power".

Because their fans do not know any players from any other sides - they do not truly have a passion for the great game of AFL, only for their own side.

Because (recently) they have refused to acknowledge the brilliance of a side like Brisbane managing to win 3 flags in a row, using their powerful position in the media to ensure that such an amazing performance is unfairly tainted - this at the same time as manipulating the AFL draw to ensure that they own the lucrative Friday night football, ensuring they receive $9 million sponsorship deals over 5 years (the sheer hypocrosy of their stance will never cease to amaze me).

Because they benefited from the free market system by buying most of their 14 flags, which is far more of a leg-up that receiving an extra 600K a season in this day and age.

Because they do not accept that they are merely 1/16th of the AFL - they are not the AFL.

Because their arrogance is not backed up with on-field success.

Gold jacket wearing cheer squad members are afforded more media profile than someone like Chad Fletcher.

Because, despite being rooted at the foot of the ladder, they do not understand the simple concept of "pulling your head in".

Die Hard Pie, the answer is simple really, next time you go to a game have a good look around you. Have a good listen and look at your fellow supporters, ponder that for awhile, sooner or later it will sink in. :eek:

PS Excellent post Sedat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t hate Collingwood any more, I just feel really sorry and sad for them.
Only 1 premiership in the last 40 years.
Eddie ‘the amazingly irritating ********’ McGuire constantly makes Collingwood look like a McDonalds store with his cheap ass promotions and stunts for the club. More cheese then a macca’s cheese burger!
They honestly think the Cloke boys are going to be top players.
Think Fraser is captain material.
Have no direction and no sense of pride any more.
I think the real magpie team in the AFL now is port Adelaide.
But that's just my opion.

What a great Thread.

All those people that say they don't care about Collingwood, actually replying to the thread - Ooops

Collingwood is the AFL.

Without Collingwood the AFL would be worse off.

Papers would sell less copies.

News services would have less to report.

BF threads would be reduced by 90%

The fact is you cannot get enough of us.
And the more we give you, the more you want.

Collingwood is opium for the masses.

Murray said:
What a great Thread.
All those people that say they don't care about Collingwood, actually replying to the thread - Ooops
Collingwood is the AFL.
Without Collingwood the AFL would be worse off.
Papers would sell less copies.
News services would have less to report.
BF threads would be reduced by 90%
The fact is you cannot get enough of us.
And the more we give you, the more you want.
Collingwood is opium for the masses.

This post should make it a little bit easier for you to understand why DieHard Pie. :eek:

Sedat! said:
Because they are the team of choice for the mindless populist. They are not cult or alternative - they are like the "Creed" of the AFL.

Because their fans are spoon-fed piles and piles of doggy-doo in the media about how successful they are (and they stupidly swallow it), and yet they have won 1 premiership in almost 50 years - a pathetic history for the AFL's self-proclaimed "super power".

Because their fans do not know any players from any other sides - they do not truly have a passion for the great game of AFL, only for their own side.

Because (recently) they have refused to acknowledge the brilliance of a side like Brisbane managing to win 3 flags in a row, using their powerful position in the media to ensure that such an amazing performance is unfairly tainted - this at the same time as manipulating the AFL draw to ensure that they own the lucrative Friday night football, ensuring they receive $9 million sponsorship deals over 5 years (the sheer hypocrosy of their stance will never cease to amaze me).

Because they benefited from the free market system by buying most of their 14 flags, which is far more of a leg-up that receiving an extra 600K a season in this day and age.

Because they do not accept that they are merely 1/16th of the AFL - they are not the AFL.

Because their arrogance is not backed up with on-field success.

Gold jacket wearing cheer squad members are afforded more media profile than someone like Chad Fletcher.

Because, despite being rooted at the foot of the ladder, they do not understand the simple concept of "pulling your head in".

All valid points.

I used to like the pies in the 90s for some sick reason. I think it mightve been because I hated the crows more. now I dislike the pies cause of eddie. cant stand the way he uses the footy show to crap on about the pies and push his own agenda. before he became pres it was kinda funny, but now its gone beyond the joke.

Hes done wonders for the club, that i can admit.

Although gotta admit the club does contribute to the selling of newspapers etc.

diehard pie said:
I'm 17 and basically I was right in my belief....jealousy :cool:
Jealousy is no doubt a big part of it:
1. Off field success.
2. Media attention.
3. popularity, crowd numbers and such.
4. Training facilities and so on.

Hated because:
Even with your lack of on field success you still blindly think you have the best team and greatest coach. ( not all but many vocal ones ).
Also the AFL looks after you with big games like Anzac day and so on ( fair enough too because you draw the biggest crowds ) but you can see why this would alienate you.
So many of Collingwoods players are overrated because of the media attention they get.
These things add up.
ps. I don't hate the Pies, but don't really like them either.
I don't necessarily think the Pies are more hated, they are just more topical because of the media attention they get.
And then there's the Tall Poppy Syndrome.

The Fireman said:
This post should make it a little bit easier for you to understand why DieHard Pie. :eek:

Thanks Fireman for your continued interest in all things Collingwood
Your unwavering support this year is greatly appreciated

Emirates

Murray said:
Thanks Fireman for your continued interest in all things Collingwood
Your unwavering support this year is greatly appreciated

Emirates
:confused: Just saying it as I see it.
There has been some very valid points posted in this thread as to why your supporter base is so disliked, your posts certainly assist the argument :eek:

The Fireman said:
:confused: Just saying it as I see it.
There has been some very valid points posted in this thread as to why your supporter base is so disliked, your posts certainly assist the argument :eek:

Once again - Thank you

Murray said:
Once again - Thank you
We should be thanking you....for 1979 (the injustice of it all), 1980 (the embarassment), 1981 (the capitulation within touching distance of glory), 2002 (the heartache) and 2003 (the humiliation and sheer comedy). Just that one black October day in 1990, but otherwise Collingwood have given most of us nothing but pleasure in 30-odd years of football watching.

footyfreak said:
If you noticed my post just below that one i stated i don't normally get that fired up. Just to show you i'm not feral, i apologise for my bad language. It wasn't called for, your pathetic post just hit a nerve and i typed away before thinking. Again, sorry for the language. And seriously, do i have to pull examples of saints supporters using exactly the same type of language? I have seen stacks of stuff written on here that is total BS but that comment about Collingwood going for all the best players, and thats why we are hated was quite possibly the worst most ignorant thing i have seen on BF.

Mate, I can't talk for anyone but myself...but I try not to use that kind of language, and I certainly don't get personally abusive over a difference of opinion.

I'm 13. I know almost nothing about Collingwood's "history". All I know is that these boards seem to contain many Pies supporters in the mold of Zeke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back